Author Topic: SteelSeries Sensei Announced  (Read 7850 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
SteelSeries Sensei Announced
« on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 09:46:31 »
http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei

Seems to have the same profile as a Xai. I guess Ikari Laser users like me are still out of a new design.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 10:30:51 »
Do want
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 11:28:26 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;396975
http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei

Seems to have the same profile as a Xai. I guess Ikari Laser users like me are still out of a new design.

What about the "legendary" they just released also? mionix naos is very similar also

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 11:44:39 »
well yea the legendary was just released but its just a crippled version of the cataclysm mouse with a bit smoother body and buttons.

Offline RamaBot

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:10:58 »
It is exactly the same size and shape as the Xai which is great as the Xai is the most comfortable mouse I have ever used.

I am interested in the adjustable lift distance. High performance laser mice tend really react badly to some surfaces such as light smooth pads and some soft pads. It seems that on these pads the mouse is getting too strong or diffuse a signal and so the lift distance can become quite high.

I wouldn't bother with the lighting myself. I would turn it off.

I'm not sure about the mega high CPI. I only use 3600 as it is.I suppose upping the CPI to 6400 and then dropping the windows mouse speed by one notch could in theory give me more accuracy.

Now I have to convince the wife that I need yet more equipment.

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:17:10 »
Nice, I would prefer another really basic mouse to replace the Kinzu.  The hardware acceleration turns me away but I like the size and form factor.  I am now using an Abyssus and it's pretty great.  True PnP ease.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:20:41 »
did you mean 5700 dpi for the max. it does have the ability to double without adding acceleration which i havnt seen on another mouse. though idk if i would use it.

well the do recommended leaving the windows mouse right in the middle at 6 and then lowering in game sensitivity to 1 or as low as possible then setting your cpi.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:21:51 »
well u dont have to use the hardware acceleration or deceleration...

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:26:09 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;397083
well u dont have to use the hardware acceleration or deceleration...

It is hardware accel, not software.

Kinzu FAQ
We do realize that some gamers swear against mouse acceleration and refuse to subscribe to the preferences of some of the next generation’s top gamers. If that’s the case, the Kinzu is not for you! Finally, it is important to note that the SteelSeries Kinzu is our one and only mouse that utilizes this exclusive acceleration engine that is implemented on a hardware level.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:29:48 »
o hmm well ive always bee a laser user. is the acceleration adjustable at all like it is on the Sensei? (would be considered harware correct as it run on the mouse?)

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:36:04 »
I believe the Sensei is adjustable, however the Kinzu is their standard mouse and it is not adjustable.  They also advise not to use software to manage it as it will make it screwy.  According to their FAQ only the Kinzu has accell on the hardware level.  I think what this means is that it is "calculated" on the mouse itself rather than through Windows software/programs/drivers such as Razer software for razer mice.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:38:47 »
yea i would think the same about the hardware lvl accel as my CST 1550 has it and yes its annoying and i cant disable it.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 August 2011, 01:14:11 »
Looks sexy! :o

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 August 2011, 01:36:10 »
god damn i wanna kill whoever writes the content for their website. it sounds like a 10 year old. grammar is terrible.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline hella

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 14:50:38 »
This uses the same sensor as the Xai and still has some positive acceleration.  Despite loving the aesthetics (and steelseries) this major design flaw makes it a definite pass.

Offline arplod

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 15:05:28 »
Wonder how it'd work out with clawers.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 15:24:35 »
Quote from: hella;402374
This uses the same sensor as the Xai and still has some positive acceleration.  Despite loving the aesthetics (and steelseries) this major design flaw makes it a definite pass.

If you've read some of the prior ADNS-9500 threads you would have run into some posts of the 9500 being used at 25-30% of it's capacity, the sensor would be reused in the future with some new changes to squeeze out the remaining performance out of it.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 20:57:18 »
umm where is the proof, tests, etc. on that? what is the rate of acceleration? would this even be noticed if it exists. also u can control the accel on the sensei.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 16:30:21 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;402473
umm where is the proof, tests, etc. on that? what is the rate of acceleration? would this even be noticed if it exists. also u can control the accel on the sensei.

It's an innate negative acceleration(some positive acceleration in certain cases) of around 5%, it tends to affect low-sensitivity players rather than medium-to-high sensitivity. It's not your normal controllable settable acceleration like some of the quake pros like to play like who are accel-lifter-low sens(they flick and lift their mouse in place using their wrist continuously for movement then when using a weapon they sweep the whole pad like a low sens player with their arm). It's a problem with the sensor itself not a setting just google it really it's all over the place, same thing with the PTE Z-axis, it's one of those things you look up and in few moments know what's it about.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 17:20:38 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;402804
It's an innate negative acceleration(some positive acceleration in certain cases) of around 5%, it tends to affect low-sensitivity players rather than medium-to-high sensitivity. It's not your normal controllable settable acceleration like some of the quake pros like to play like who are accel-lifter-low sens(they flick and lift their mouse in place using their wrist continuously for movement then when using a weapon they sweep the whole pad like a low sens player with their arm). It's a problem with the sensor itself not a setting just google it really it's all over the place, same thing with the PTE Z-axis, it's one of those things you look up and in few moments know what's it about.
it just sounds like you went around my questions... i knew what you were saying before no need to restate the same thing with more words. And i really doubt its "all over the place" as you say because if it was that huge of a problem they would have pulled the mouse and gamers especially pros wouldnt be using it. Also why design then use a "broken" sensor?

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 17:36:50 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;402833
it just sounds like you went around my questions... i knew what you were saying before no need to restate the same thing with more words. And i really doubt its "all over the place" as you say because if it was that huge of a problem they would have pulled the mouse and gamers especially pros wouldnt be using it. Also why design then use a "broken" sensor?

They don't use those mice, they just show them off here and there and go back to the intellimouse. Some of them might still use it for certain reasons if they feel the mouse isn't hindering them(or they have a gun to their head and are forced to advertise) but most just go back to the 1.1s/3.0. I didn't say it was a huge problem nor all over the place as in it's affecting everyone. I just said you can find information on it; fast on different forums. Remember most people are using high sensitivity they aren't going to even experience anything of this effect unless it's a malfunction.

If your talking about settable acceleration, it would feature some acceleration setting as in the Exactaccel. But it's a very cheap and simplistic setting with no capacity to really fine tune.

Who said the sensor is broken? no one has ever said it's broken it's just a problem with the way laser technology works. Sorta like the Z-axis issue on the PTE it tracks TOO well thus causing jittering. It's the way laser has been since the first generation was released almost a decade ago with different issues cropping up here and there.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 August 2011, 17:39:17 by Arc'xer »

Offline foliolio

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 23:30:29 »
Sensei is available through TaoBao for a cool 899 RMB.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:54:27 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;402384
If you've read some of the prior ADNS-9500 threads you would have run into some posts of the 9500 being used at 25-30% of it's capacity, the sensor would be reused in the future with some new changes to squeeze out the remaining performance out of it.
The Sensei still uses the same sensor with the same accel. issue, that has been confirmed by Kim Rom (SS Marketing Manager) on OCN.

You are probably looking for the upcoming ADNS-9800.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 14:26:09 »
Quote from: Aznguyen316;397092
I believe the Sensei is adjustable, however the Kinzu is their standard mouse and it is not adjustable.  They also advise not to use software to manage it as it will make it screwy.  According to their FAQ only the Kinzu has accell on the hardware level.  I think what this means is that it is "calculated" on the mouse itself rather than through Windows software/programs/drivers such as Razer software for razer mice.

I suppose that may have something to do with the fact that Kinzu seems to be the type of mouse you'd toss around the pad such as like in competitive RTS gaming. Accelaration could have its plus sides then. I definitely liked it for tossing the cursor away to some other part of the screen and then being ablo to micro there, as opposed to having to drag the rodent a long way. But that was many years and many dpis ago. I could get away with max speed and max accel with a ball mouse and 1024*768 screen resolution. Couldn't really be so accurate playing RTS in HD res.

I wonder if hardware acceleration doesn't work better than software, which could be kinda interesting.

Some of the Sensei's oh-so-innovative functions with fancy names are basically just positive and negative acceleration.

Wonder if the price of the Xai will fall due to the Sensei. I can already see the XAI for little more than 50 euro in Poland.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2011, 14:37:47 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 14:55:44 »
Would love the Xai price falling as I need to buy one for work now. :)
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Mazora

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 10:15:46 »
You can pre-order NOW. ktksbai
RF-87UW

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 10:56:21 »
Just bought another Xai for work. If I hear about the Sensei fixing the scrollwheel problems in OS X I'll think about grabbing one. Curious to hear about how it's different.

I think the acceleration issues on the Xai are greatly exaggerated. Using it with 900dpi on a hard pad I cannot duplicate any acceleration and it feels WAY more accurate than my Lachesis, almost night and day. Love the mouse.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline file_id

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 11:56:19 »
You can pre-order the Sensei off Steelseries' website. http://shop.steelseries.com/us/mice/steelseries-sensei.html Ships first week of October.
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline Mazora

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 12:39:06 »
Chobopants: I'm a Xai user atm. I'll play some SC2 and quakelive on the Sensei when it ships and ill let you know my impressions
RF-87UW

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 12:43:27 »
Quote from: Chobopants;419101
Just bought another Xai for work. If I hear about the Sensei fixing the scrollwheel problems in OS X I'll think about grabbing one. Curious to hear about how it's different.

I think the acceleration issues on the Xai are greatly exaggerated. Using it with 900dpi on a hard pad I cannot duplicate any acceleration and it feels WAY more accurate than my Lachesis, almost night and day. Love the mouse.

Do me a favour please. :) Have a cloth pad to check how much worse it gets?

Offline Mazora

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 12:47:25 »
it was designed to work well with 9HD I think it tells alot ,n o?
RF-87UW