Author Topic: A sad day in Filco Ninja Land  (Read 96269 times)

Offline Lanx

A sad day in Filco Ninja Land
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 21:33:48 »
why are you ppl arguing? if you can hear it, then great you have good hearing, if you cannot hear it, then too bad for you, you're old or have lost your hearing. I know those of you who do not hear it do not want to admit that you're old and lost hearing or are loosing it, so the only explanation you have is that other ppl are just "hearing" things, but that's the case. Trust me, when i was told I was color blind, i didn't believe it, i said but i see colors!, they just happen to be the wrong colors.

seriously take online hearing tests or do some of the links for the frequencies i posted, otherwise it's just gonna be more of the
he said,
ripster said

kind of deals.

Offline redpill

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 22:54:54 »
Quote from: Findecanor;360328
I am appalled to see that we, as a community here on Geekhack has not come closer to consensus to this issue.

That's because the issue is being deliberately obscured.  They have led you to the conclusion that this is a single issue, but it is not.  The issue that you describe in several of your points is the typical manner of mechanical switch ping that comes with the territory of mechanical keyboards.  Some individual switches make more noise than others.  That is very different than the "Filco Ring" issue wherein the entire keyboard resonates regardless of which key is pressed, aside from the fact the larger keys make it worse.  That's because in this case it is not the individual springs that are the issue, it is the metal plate that is amplifying their normal resonance.

In my case I have a Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Browns and a KBC Poker with Cherry Browns on the same desk, in the same environment, and the difference is so unmistakable no one hearing it in person could possibly claim it is a matter of just switch noise.  To me it is obvious this is a design or manufacturing issue related to the metal plate on the Filco.

I didn't buy this Filco to complain about it, or try to destroy it with expanding insulating foam (which I might have done, will know more tomorrow); I bought it because I thought it was the best full size keyboard that had Cherry Browns on it.  But the ring was there, and at first it was just a minor annoyance but when I had people coming into my office and pointing it out I knew it wasn't just me.  I can't live my entire office life in the key of B flat.  Sorry.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 23:00:03 »
its a sad day in filco ninja land
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 23:07:43 »
I think you guys are arguing just so you can type more key strokes on your favorite keyboards, hear more pings.  I am waiting patiently to receive noodles Filco blues.  My new white Filco reds pings, too, if I go listen **ping** for it.  But when I type I am too focus to **ping** hear anything.... **ping**

Aaaarg, just lost my chain of thought...

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 23:12:06 »
you got the tracking # right?
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline litster

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 23:17:24 »
Quote from: noodles256;360404
you got the tracking # right?

Yes sir!  The tracking number is working.  I hope the UPS truck is not going to shake too much and settle the springs and get rid of the pings.

Oh, I forgot about this book that got for my kid, when he could hear high pitch noise:

Quack!
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2011, 23:22:31 by litster »

Offline drsauced

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 00:35:01 »
I guess we can all think of it this way: none of those rubber dome keyboards even has a ring/ping/zing.  So there you go, enjoy!
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #257 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 00:42:05 »
quack
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline sordna

« Reply #258 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 01:18:33 »
Quote from: redpill;360091
It would be more interesting if they generated different tones.  I'm getting tired of B♭

I'm getting C and C#. We should swap some keys. How is that expanding foam doing? Hope it doesn't expand forcefully and bends/cracks your PCB. Also, does it say if it's non-conductive ?
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2011, 09:21:48 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 08:08:26 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19123[/ATTACH]

The new logo...
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline redpill

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 08:42:41 »
Quote from: sordna;360467
I'm getting C and C#. We should swap some keys. How is that expanding foam doing? Hope it doesn't expands forcefully and bends/cracks your PCB. Also, does it say if it's non-conductive ?

The foam should be cured now, it's at the office so I'll check when I get there.  It's flexible, and should be non-conductive as it's mostly polyurethane and for use in home insulation applications where I would think non-conductivity would be required.  So we should be good on those two fronts.  I think the problem will be that because it is so effective in getting into every crevasse that it will interfere with the switches making contact with the PCB.  Keeping my fingers crossed, but I expect we may need LEGO burial detail later today.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 09:02:14 »
You can use also the spray streamers (i don't know how they are exactly called in english, i mean the ones used in parties) should be way easier to use them to fill the tiny space between the switches
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline redpill

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 09:54:51 »
Silly string :)  I don't think I would have been able to get it far enough in there.  As it was, the only way to get the foam in far enough was to rig up an extra straw that was narrower than the one that came on the bottle and splice them together.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 10:04:07 »
Silly string :)

Exactly, tank you.

As it was, the only way to get the foam in far enough was to rig up an extra straw that was narrower than the one that came on the bottle and splice them together.

For similar tasks I usually use the cap from a different spray can, like the one that comes with some spray electrical deoxidizers, not all of them are compatible, but with a decent number of donor cans the right one shouldn't be too hard to find.

Offline penpoints

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 10:40:54 »
Quote from: Findecanor;360328
I am appalled to see that we, as a community here on Geekhack has not come closer to consensus to this issue.

So far I've seen two Filco keyboards that have the "Filco Ring". My other Filcos have had little or no pinging, or if they ping it's dampened right away. IMO there's a big difference between some slight or moderate "pinging" - and a loud, annoying resonance (of one note) in a keyboard's metal plate. This isn't a trivial issue, like a shine-mark on a spacebar. It isn't imaginary or FUD. "Sound samples or it didn't happen" isn't a valid criticism, because when samples are provided they're called fake. Anyway, I think it's hard to get a good recording of this.

Some other keyboards have a known problem with ringing. See for example this review (linked to from the GH keyboard review section) of the Matias Tactile Pro 3, especially this part:

"Sadly, the Tactile Pro 3 does not achieve the same clean sound as other ALPS keyboards including the FILCO Zero range. My FILCO Zero XM has the crispest, driest sound of any mechanical keyboard, but the Tactile Pro 3 is quite the opposite: you’re treated to an excessive level of spring vibration from the switches, that gives it a constant high pitched ringing sound as you type. The switch mounting also gives the strokes a higher pitch sound, and the overall effect is somewhat disturbing. Spring reverberation is to be expected in mechanical keyboards, but it's absent from my Cherry MX blue FILCO and it’s absent from the ATK and FILCO Zero XM ALPS keyboards. I do hear it on my Cherry MX brown FILCO, but it’s not disturbingly loud as it is with the Tactile Pro 3. Placing the keyboard onto carpet does damp this excess vibration nicely though, so it’s probably a flaw in the way the switches are mounted."

I didn't try carpet, but I did put my ringing Filcos on a double layer of rubber shelf-liner and it didn't help one bit. I'm not a keyboard expert, but "it’s probably a flaw in the way the switches are mounted" sounds plausible to me. For the Filcos it isn't a general problem - it's just limited to some individual keyboards.
Favorite keyboards:
---
Topre Realforce 87U Tenkeyless (gray/black; variable weight)
Filco Majestouch (1st gen.) Tenkeyless (Cherry MX Blue)
Filco Majestouch (1st gen.) Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Cherry MX Brown)

Offline morethanless

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 11:45:31 »
@redpill
Please post some pictures of your foam calamity.

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline redpill

« Reply #266 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 12:28:18 »
Quote from: morethanless;360605
@redpill
Please post some pictures of your foam calamity.

New thread coming shortly.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 12:59:27 »
Quote from: ripster;360629
The sustain on this thread is terrible.

Do you mean the sustain effect meant to get longer sounds ? :happy:

Offline sordna

« Reply #268 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 13:05:01 »
Haha. Sustain is good for things like guitars. Fixed bridge beats a tremolo. No interference, no detune of some strings while you bend others, better sound transfer, and better sustain. That video for guitar tremolo spring silencing was good though.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 15:42:40 »
mike my reverb

aka mike tyson.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline genzeleam

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 16:38:28 »
I'm not usually the kind of person that bashes someone, but:

First of all, had you done any real research on mechanical keyboards before throwing money out the window, you would have known mechanical keyboards are generally louder than their rubber-dome counterparts. Mechanical keyboards are known for their precision, tactile feel, and (for the most part) general lack of needing to bottom out keys to produce a successful keystroke.

Second of all, you should have done your research. I happen to love the sound of both browns and blues though I prefer brown for everyday use. Mechanical keyboards will sound a lot louder when keys are bottomed out as opposed to when they're pushed just to the actuation point. Everyone used to rubber-dome keyboards will be bottoming out keys when switching to mechanical because just about all rubber-dome boards are made to be bottomed out for successful keystrokes.

Edit: Old post but I had to.

Offline penpoints

« Reply #271 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:13:28 »
Quote from: genzeleam;366476
I'm not usually the kind of person that bashes someone, but:

First of all, had you done any real research on mechanical keyboards before throwing money out the window, you would have known mechanical keyboards are generally louder than their rubber-dome counterparts.

Obviously you didn't read any of the other posts in this thread.

I've been using mechanical keyboards for many years. The Filco keyboards I returned to Amazon were very different from my other Filco's. The ones I sent back were badly defective.

I didn't "throw money out the window" - I received a full refund, including for the shipping, both ways.

But thanks anyway for your concern. :music:
Favorite keyboards:
---
Topre Realforce 87U Tenkeyless (gray/black; variable weight)
Filco Majestouch (1st gen.) Tenkeyless (Cherry MX Blue)
Filco Majestouch (1st gen.) Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Cherry MX Brown)

Offline litster

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 19:35:33 »
*bite-lip* Bilco!

Offline redpill

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 21:20:05 »
Quote from: penpoints;366505
I didn't "throw money out the window" - I received a full refund, including for the shipping, both ways.

But thanks anyway for your concern. :music:

Imagine that, a discerning consumer who would rather get his money's worth out of a $150 keyboard than please the Filco Sycophants on GH by trying to ignore the unignorable.  Kudos to you sir.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2011, 21:22:25 by redpill »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 21:27:23 »
Hey genzeleam...

Offline oddsratio

New Sound Sample
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:09:05 »
Okay, so I took the keycaps off the T Key (pinger) and the G Key (non-pinger). In this sample, you hear the T first and then the G and then the T again. I had to hold it upside down over my macbook to get the mic recording to work.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:13:53 »
Seriously?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline oddsratio

« Reply #277 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:18:53 »
Does that mean it's bad, or that I am nitpicking too much? I hope it's the latter.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:20:33 »
In my somewhat limited experience, that's a pretty standard Cherry switch.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline oddsratio

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:28:46 »
Quote from: alaricljs;366646
In my somewhat limited experience, that's a pretty standard Cherry switch.

I figured that before I typed on the Poker, but then again, that doesn't have a metal plate for sound to reverberate from. If I pay attention, it ends up sounding like redpill's sample on page 4 during a real typing session.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:36:12 »
That's why some of us keep ranting for samples and that the issue doesn't exist.  I won't believe that a Filco is the solution to 'needs more cowbell' until I hear a sample that proves it.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:43:04 »
Seeing as how there are serious keyboard collectors I wouldn't be surprised if they could resell it at their normal rate.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 01:20:51 »
Yeah

Even filco boards.... :pound:

Offline ethics-

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 14:30:40 »
Well ****.  I started noticing the pinging in my MJ-2 TKL w/ blues last night.

Offline ethics-

« Reply #284 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 15:19:20 »
Nah rip, I used to be on your side about this.  I figured that people were just being overcritical or had really sensitive hearing.  I was typing in dead silence last night and could definitely hear pinging with every key press.

Offline looserboy

« Reply #285 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 15:42:10 »
shouldnt make a ninja zink zoink bing? and disappear? (lol sry^^) all the filcos i tested yesterday havent had this pingthing-problem^^
and i ve tested over 10 filcos and 5 das.

could it be that you re expecting too much from a 150 board and are too sensitive in that case,
all solid manufactured plates have the ability to transfer sound i dont think they re wrong manufactured. and people who bought this  first time and have had rubberdomes before should try other boards before complaining at all^^.

even my mx11900 sometime pings if i am hard concentrated on this behavior. and the mx11900 is like a rock on my desk.
you could make near every mechanical keyboard this sound, if you want to. (bottoming out makes this sound, hard pressing makes this sound too, snapping the switch makes this sound too, every press makes this sound far or less ) your desks are possibly a reason too. light wood or other materials make sounds even louder too.

and i agree 100% with ripster...##

filco has a superb quality management. there is nothing wrong with your keyboards maybe with yourself :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 June 2011, 15:53:44 by looserboy »

Cherry: G80 MX11900blacks  - G80 MX1800 blacks - G80 MX1502 blacks all cards  - G81 MY 8005 ins. cards - G81 MY 3000 modded to 20g (HowTo)
NMB SPACEINVADER white
Noppo: Choc Pro browns  - Choc Mini reds
IBM: Model F IBM: Model M SSK IBM: Model M

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #286 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 15:47:03 »
I've used like 3 or 4 keyboards with browns, and only the tenkeyless Filco had the ringing issue.

None of my other Filcos do it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 June 2011, 15:57:27 by keyboardlover »

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 15:56:04 »
And I have 2 Filco tenkeyless w/ brown and they make any untoward noise.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline litster

« Reply #288 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:11:23 »
Decision, decision.  Should I get a Prius and get an artificial engine noise maker, or should I get a BMW M3 and complain about the raspy exhaust?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #289 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:13:58 »
Wrong. Get an Infiniti G37 with neither issue.

Offline litster

« Reply #290 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:21:06 »
But the G37 is still much noisier than the Prius.  I am returning the G37.  I am going to buy a Prius and drive on the right lane.  Wait, I will still drive on the left lane to annoy the noisy, fast, G37s and M3s.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #291 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:22:31 »
G37's are pretty quiet. I drove one.

Their engines sound very nice, like a Topre.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:47:18 »
They fart if you get real close?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #293 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:48:52 »
I have actually not experienced the Topre fart personally. But I believe that some people have.

I am not ripster.

Offline litster

« Reply #294 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:50:48 »
So rubber dome is Prius, Cherries are M3, and Topre is G37.  What would Alps and BS been?

Offline redpill

« Reply #295 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:52:32 »
Quote from: litster;368027
or should I get a BMW M3 and complain about the raspy exhaust?

E46 M3 I assume you mean, the V8 in the E92 doesn't rasp.  But your analogy is invalid for several reasons:

1) All stock E46 M3s have raspy exhaust, it's consistent and deliberate.  The Filco ring is neither.

2) There are numerous after market options that eliminate or change the character of the exhaust rasp.  These options are not only numerous but typically cost 2% or less of the car's new purchase value.  There is no easy solution to a loudly ringing Filco.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:54:57 by redpill »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #296 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 18:53:25 »
Quote from: litster;368084
So rubber dome is Prius, Cherries are M3, and Topre is G37.  What would Alps and BS been?

Ford and Buick.

Offline uphillcastle

« Reply #297 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 15:10:01 »
Me caps have worn off already. All shiny where my tips have been at them. Even on the keyboard where my hand has rested. They should make keycaps shiny to begin with.

Offline uphillcastle

« Reply #298 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 15:18:03 »
Its them bloody badgers at my cabbage patch again.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #299 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 08:32:30 »
Well GeekHack IS the best of all those other forums.

With one huge exception, of course.