Author Topic: Topre switch w/ MX Compatible Stem.....  (Read 116537 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Topre switch w/ MX Compatible Stem.....
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 00:18:04 »
The Micro/Mini USB thing aside, Methinks this Novatouch has EPICNESS written all over it.

QFT
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 00:48:40 »
The purple stem is related to CM (Our now exclusive switch color) but also has characteristics of the silenced topre version.

Currently we are launching with 45g uniform with planning in the 55g category based on initial market feedback (Purchase power)

We have also changed our font for this model as this particular segment is geared towards our enthusiasts segment (U guys).... tell us what you think!

Any comments on the micro- vs. mini-USB connector?  That seems to upset a lot of people.

I'd think all of CM's Novatouches are already in production/completed...so it would be too late to change that now. Although mini USB was supposed to be "discontinued" and replaced with micro USB...
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 02:40:43 »
The purple stem is related to CM (Our now exclusive switch color) but also has characteristics of the silenced topre version.

Currently we are launching with 45g uniform with planning in the 55g category based on initial market feedback (Purchase power)

We have also changed our font for this model as this particular segment is geared towards our enthusiasts segment (U guys).... tell us what you think!

Any comments on the micro- vs. mini-USB connector?  That seems to upset a lot of people.

I'd think all of CM's Novatouches are already in production/completed...so it would be too late to change that now. Although mini USB was supposed to be "discontinued" and replaced with micro USB...

I was just curious if there was a specific reason why to make nearly all existing keyboard USB cables incompatible.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #553 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 05:56:47 »
what's consensus opinion on whether the stems will even be swappable with existing topre boards? They look different shaped.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #554 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 09:06:48 »

I was just curious if there was a specific reason why to make nearly all existing keyboard USB cables incompatible.

We spent a lot of time studying this. Micro usb is an overall better design as the cable is intended to break before the female connection gives way. Its much easier to replace a cable then ask someone to re-solder a connection (Outside of GH of course)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #555 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:19:07 »
Thanks for the update Carter. I look forward to testing out the keyboard and giving CM my feedback.

I'm sure we all are and I'll try my best not to throw my CCnG set on there before I have a chance to try out these new keycaps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:20:38 by do_Og@n »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #556 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 15:12:11 »

We spent a lot of time studying this. Micro usb is an overall better design as the cable is intended to break before the female connection gives way. Its much easier to replace a cable then ask someone to re-solder a connection (Outside of GH of course)

That will be a great comfort to a lot of people - thanks for the update :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #557 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 19:00:15 »
man, I was hoping this was going to be 55g. I hope everybody still buys tho, so CM will come out with a 55g version :P
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #558 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 20:12:34 »
Agreed. I hope 45g lovers rejoice but I'll have to sit this one out.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline intelli78

« Reply #559 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 21:41:49 »
I'm definitely in for one. Any information re: timeline or price?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #560 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 22:02:11 »
I'm wanting the 55g as well LOL.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #561 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 22:39:33 »

Same here.  Can you give us a hint when in Q2 it will be available?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Merloobi

« Reply #562 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 23:31:51 »

Q2 and < $200

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #563 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 23:45:19 »
I will say, if you make a 60% 55g board thats compatible with standard 60% cases(ie aluminum) I will buy one for myself and another to stockpile at the very least

Offline avtar

« Reply #564 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 23:50:52 »
I will say, if you make a 60% 55g board thats compatible with standard 60% cases(ie aluminum) I will buy one for myself and another to stockpile at the very least

Or just a 55g TKL and the rest of us will buy and/or stockpile them ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #565 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 10:14:02 »

I highly doubt they will make a 60% topre board, especially one that will fit any existing 60% cases (i.e.: cases for the poker, gh60, etc), is it even possible with the topre design, controller, layout etc?

They haven't even made a 60% MX board and even that wouldn't fit our cases, unless they just rebaged a poker or something.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #566 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 10:15:43 »

I highly doubt they will make a 60% topre board, especially one that will fit any existing 60% cases (i.e.: cases for the poker, gh60, etc), is it even possible with the topre design, controller, layout etc?

They haven't even made a 60% MX board and even that wouldn't fit our cases, unless they just rebaged a poker or something.

And they won't be able to keep them on the shelves until almost every topre owner on GH has one.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #567 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 11:04:29 »
I know these are going to sell like crazy in Canada. As it stands now, EK is the only way to get a topre board up North and the duties/taxes/shipping and now currency conversion is killer on every single unit. HHKB turns into a $400 purchase, the FC660C I bought cost almost $300 all said and done. Looking forward to seeing topre availability in this country. :)
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #568 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 12:55:39 »

Surprised most people missed this, no one commented on the font so I guess I'll give my input on it.

I know in general geekhack is really big on the Cherry Font but to be honest I find it too "old school" looking.

However I like thinner, cleaner and more modern looking font, something like this:

Das Keyboard Mac Edition  (Windows edition has different font)

56852-0

Matias Tactile Pro  (Minus the extra symbols)

56858-1

Apple Extended Keyboard II  (Not sure how I feel about italicized font but you get the idea)

56854-2

Feenix Autore  (Despite their ridiculous price I think this is a very good looking keyboard)

56856-3

This just feels more....... high end, it's like you're spending probably $200 on a keyboard you don't want it to look like a 12 year old's toy.

You want it to be classy.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:12:21 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #569 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:03:20 »
I doubt any geekhacker will notice the font before changing keycaps.

But yeah, the new font looks decent, although I still prefer Cherry, because it's super easy to read.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #570 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:08:58 »
I think CM should just find out where Vortex got their keycaps done (or Ducky, probably same factory).  And just ship it default with those OEM profile thick PBT and call it a day.  Personally I really like those keycaps.

Though you could be right, the whole point of having Cherry stems is that you can switch whatever keycaps you want so chances are people will swap out keycaps.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #571 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 01:47:49 »
I think CM should just find out where Vortex got their keycaps done (or Ducky, probably same factory).  And just ship it default with those OEM profile thick PBT and call it a day.  Personally I really like those keycaps.

Though you could be right, the whole point of having Cherry stems is that you can switch whatever keycaps you want so chances are people will swap out keycaps.

I can't see CM ever pushing out thick PBT, honestly. It would be too costly for them and one of their selling points is already having lower prices.
;)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #572 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 01:57:40 »

I can't see CM ever pushing out thick PBT, honestly. It would be too costly for them and one of their selling points is already having lower prices.

In that sort of bulk volumes I can't really see the price being affected by much more than $10 to $20 per board while keeping roughly the same profit margin.  Or at least have it as an option for a slightly upgraded price.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #573 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 03:37:42 »
"Upgraded" price, I like it.

How come Unicomp can do PBT out of the box...?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #574 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 03:46:12 »
the whole point of having Cherry stems is that you can switch whatever keycaps you want so chances are people will swap out keycaps.

Exactly... everyone is excited about this keyboard because they can use custom caps. No reason to push the price up with thick PBT stock caps when most buyers will be taking them off first thing.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #575 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 09:48:29 »
the whole point of having Cherry stems is that you can switch whatever keycaps you want so chances are people will swap out keycaps.

Exactly... everyone is excited about this keyboard because they can use custom caps. No reason to push the price up with thick PBT stock caps when most buyers will be taking them off first thing.

Which is why I think it would be nice to have an option to get one with no caps.  That is if it is all standard spacing, and layout including stab locations.  I am sure a good portion of the people here would rather have no caps on a board than standard issue caps.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #576 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 10:38:17 »

Which is why I think it would be nice to have an option to get one with no caps.  That is if it is all standard spacing, and layout including stab locations.  I am sure a good portion of the people here would rather have no caps on a board than standard issue caps.

Yeah I have far too many sets of stock caps around that I'll never be able to get rid of. White and black Filco sets and a Pure set too.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Merloobi

« Reply #577 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:24:45 »
I'd like to throw my vote in for a capless board as well.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #578 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 13:03:33 »
Do want 55g full-size board @_@
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Dizon248

« Reply #579 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 02:07:30 »
Yes to 55g TKL + PBT! Will hand over all my money hand over fist!!

Offline tbc

« Reply #580 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 04:35:41 »
no-caps 55G 75%!

stand out from crowd :D
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #581 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 06:22:56 »
Jesus people, if you all hold out hoping for alternative layouts and weights then they'll never sell enough boards to justify the additional options.

« Last Edit: Wed, 12 March 2014, 06:25:26 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #582 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 07:11:09 »
They better sell a 55g alphas 45g mods winkeyless TKL with winkey blockers or there's no way I'm buying.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #583 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 07:34:41 »
They better sell a 55g alphas 45g mods winkeyless TKL with winkey blockers or there's no way I'm buying.

i.e. there's no way I'm buying

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #584 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 07:37:54 »
I swear to God, if they don't release a 1x - 1.5x - 10x - 1.5x - 1x full size all-30g with a numpad on the left, why bother releasing anything at all?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #585 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 10:44:36 »
I swear to God, if they don't release a 1x - 1.5x - 10x - 1.5x - 1x full size all-30g with a numpad on the left, why bother releasing anything at all?

I love the enthusiasm for a 10x space bar.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #586 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 09:06:38 »
EDIT: the video I postet was posted before.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 March 2014, 09:09:47 by blackbox »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #587 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 09:26:36 »

Somewhere out there, that's someone's end game board.
;)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #588 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 01:03:32 »
Carter,

Do you think that you guys will offer the Novatouch in gray also like you did the QFR?  If not will you sell gray case tops as a aftermarket item?
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 March 2014, 01:06:07 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #589 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 02:40:34 »

That's what I have in my 87u! Love it..

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #590 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 03:46:33 »
If Coolermaster does decide to create a Topre line of keyboards with these MX-compatible switches, PLEASE OFFER THE OPTION TO BUY A BARE KEYBOARD WITHOUT KEYCAPS.

YES PLEASE DO THIS (Barebones kit) !!!! Otherwise we end up with lots of spare stock keycaps just lying around :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #591 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 11:16:46 »
+1 for 55g Full Size

Offline cobraj

« Reply #592 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:41:16 »
Any more news on this?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #595 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 17:35:03 »
Also was posted yesterday at reddit

http://imgur.com/a/CMqpt

Needs more PBT!

Offline cobraj