Author Topic: [GB] CF-LX: Carbon Fiber 60% Case [DONE]  (Read 265770 times)

Offline 9jack9

Re: [GB] CF-LX: Carbon Fiber 60% Case // Universal and Happy layout
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:30:18 »
Is there a PCB available that would fit this case?

The only one I saw is the NerD 60% PCB here: http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/113-nerd-60-ver20-pcb.html#/0_connection-usb_wireless_combo/color-white
basically every 60% PCB would fit this

The only one I saw is the NerD 60% PCB here: http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/113-nerd-60-ver20-pcb.html#/0_connection-usb_wireless_combo/color-white
any poker would as well, and any sprit PCB, and I am sure others would as well

Good to know!

Now to find a PCB that could accommodate RGB swithces and be fully programmable.
can't go wrong w/ a GON :thumb:

Been looking at the GON PCB... it seems that PCB has some fitment issues if you get the add-on wireless module, you think the GON PCB with the Bluetooth module can fit in this case?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:34:43 »

basically every 60% PCB would fit this

any poker would as well, and any sprit PCB, and I am sure others would as well

Good to know!

Now to find a PCB that could accommodate RGB swithces and be fully programmable.
can't go wrong w/ a GON :thumb:

Been looking at the GON PCB... it seems that PCB has some fitment issues if you get the add-on wireless module, you think the GON PCB with the Bluetooth module can fit in this case?
If it doesn't you can buy longer screws and anchors to make it fit.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:41:28 »
Would it be easy to transfer a Pok3r into this case?
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:47:25 »
Would it be easy to transfer a Pok3r into this case?
Yes and no you would need to desolder every switch and led in order to remove the plate and install it in the CF plate

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:26:13 »
The supported layouts for the happy case are 1, 1.5, 7, 1.5, 1 and 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25. There are probably more because it's the same universal bottom row that the normal case uses and the GH60 has some weird bottom row options but the two I listed were the ones I had it mind making the case. I could add the proper 6u space option if there's interest but I don't really see a point to adding a useless spacebar option.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:30:11 »

The supported layouts for the happy case are 1, 1.5, 7, 1.5, 1 and 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25. There are probably more because it's the same universal bottom row that the normal case uses and the GH60 has some weird bottom row options but the two I listed were the ones I had it mind making the case. I could add the proper 6u space option if there's interest but I don't really see a point to adding a useless spacebar option.

Yeah 6u is fairly pointless considering most keysets come with 6.25u and 7u spacebars.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:57:43 »

Yeah 6u is fairly pointless considering most keysets come with 6.25u and 7u spacebars.

Can you even buy an MX 6u?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 00:01:01 »

Pretty sure SP has them, and a lot of OEM boards use 6U, so they're definitely out there. Maybe just harder to find than others, since they're nonstandard.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 00:01:24 »

PMK has some 6u DCS and DSA spacebars in their keyshop.  Very limited selection though.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 00:57:05 »
Since Cherry current 1800 board has 6u space bar, GMK or others should have 6u mould   ::)

100666-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 01:19:30 by sprit »

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:17:04 »
Sorry to keep asking dumb questions

If I made an order for a standard vs. happy layout, would that come w/ both top and bottom plates or to get the bottom plate I need to order an "extra" plate?

Second question is, is there a picture of what the standard vs. happy layouts look like?I eventually figured out that happy = hhkb, was able to google the difference.

EDIT: last question, how does the PBC actually attach to the case?
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 16:24:52 by 9jack9 »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 16:40:05 »

Not dumb questions to be asking. I'm curious about your first question as well.

Specific to the build though, the top plate is where the PCB is attached. The top and the plate are one in the same.

The CTRLALT 60 and GON Keyboard Works are all the same minimal design.

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 16:44:15 »

Not dumb questions to be asking. I'm curious about your first question as well.

Specific to the build though, the top plate is where the PCB is attached. The top and the plate are one in the same.

The CTRLALT 60 and GON Keyboard Works are all the same minimal design.

Does the PCB attach to the top plate via screws and standoffs (in which case, where are the female ends in the top plate?), or do the key-switches attach to the plate in such a way that it holds the PCB in place?  If that's the case, do I need to get plate-mounted switches (and not PCB mounted ones?).

I'm thinking the GON PCB (& supported hardware) will be the way to go with this enclosure.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 16:47:38 »
Does the PCB attach to the top plate via screws and standoffs (in which case, where are the female ends in the top plate?), or do the key-switches attach to the plate in such a way that it holds the PCB in place?  If that's the case, do I need to get plate-mounted switches (and not PCB mounted ones?).

I'm thinking the GON PCB (& supported hardware) will be the way to go with this enclosure.

No. The standoffs that you see in the mockup up help support the plate, but it's the switches sandwiched between the plate and the PCB that "mounts" it.

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 16:52:17 »

No. The standoffs that you see in the mockup up help support the plate, but it's the switches sandwiched between the plate and the PCB that "mounts" it.

Got it (so PCB mounted switches will be okay here).

Now I need to figure out what's up w/ the "extra" case on the GB form.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 18:14:08 »

Got it (so PCB mounted switches will be okay here).

Now I need to figure out what's up w/ the "extra" case on the GB form.
You can order extra plates separate from the case. Done to accommodate people who wanted to have both a happy and standard layout case
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline vindaon

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 21:55:30 »
Down for a standard case with mid piece. :)

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 22:37:08 »
Added myself to the GB, this will be my first custom keyboard ...what have you guys done to me...

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 23:05:10 »
I'm in for a HHKB top and a mid piece.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:06:28 »
Would this case work with the inifinity keyboard kit?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Transactional%3A%20Drop%20Request%20Launched&mode=guest_open

I think the Happy plate would work with it if you choose the standard layout. You'll just need to leave the two switches on the bottom left and right off when building it.

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:07:47 »
Would this case work with the inifinity keyboard kit?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Transactional%3A%20Drop%20Request%20Launched&mode=guest_open

I think the Happy plate would work with it if you choose the standard layout. You'll just need to leave the two switches on the bottom left and right off when building it.

But you don't think the standard layout would work with the standard plate?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:10:02 »
But you don't think the standard layout would work with the standard plate?

I'll have to let hwood answer that. It's hard to tell in the render, but since the Infinity standard has a HHKB layout I don't know that the cutouts will support two 1x keys in the top left corner instead of the 2x backspace on ANSI.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:28:23 »
Is there a render of the HHKB style top? I'd be curious to see what it looks like. (although I'm sure it looks fantastic)

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 11:31:00 »
Have you done any mock-ups to ensure durability?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 13:43:36 »
We'll be getting a happy mockup soon. I've pushed the order date back to accommodate

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 13:45:02 »

Have you done any mock-ups to ensure durability?

What do you mean?  Like "will the plate bend"? Or "will it break or chip after 2 months of use"?  If you're more specific I can try to go ahead and answer based on my experience with 1.5 mil CF.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:03:55 »
I'm on the edge of whether I should buy one for the infinity keyboard on massdrop, I'm curious what it's going to actually look like and not just a render.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:09:36 »
A bit of both, i'm unsure how a plate of CF will handle being pressed down upon, as i've never held a 1.5mil plate, and i want to know if it starts wearing/shredding at the edges.
I'd rather it not separate after a few months of usage.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:54:02 »
A bit of both, i'm unsure how a plate of CF will handle being pressed down upon, as i've never held a 1.5mil plate, and i want to know if it starts wearing/shredding at the edges.
the nice thing about carbon fiber is that it's known for its strength, so typical alum (or better) plate feel and no real risk of wear under normal usage conditions

Offline E3E

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 00:35:49 »
Definitely getting one of these for a future build! I'm hoping to use it with an Infinity PCB after enough revisions. It's a little too much in the early stages right now to justify buying one.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 13:57:01 »
Hwood are there gonna be actual prototypes of the cases? I'd like to see the happy one before I submit an order  :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:37:09 »

So I don't have any insider information about BigBlueSaw's carbon material, but most of this kind of work is done on 3k plain weave, and this is 1.5 mil.  An uncut plate of 1.5 mil CF of this type will have very little give to it; it will not fray or come apart at the edges.  You can take the edge and drag it along concrete and it will get scratched and worn down but it will not fray and I've never seen it chip.  So, as far as the bottom plate goes, I think you can rest easy.

With the top plate, that applies to the edges as well.  Should be no chipping, separation, fraying, etc. over time.  I am indeed interested to see how cutting all the switch holes in the top plate will affect its rigidity.  I'm not worried about it cracking or breaking under normal use.  At all.  I just think that it might have a bit of "springyness" to it.  Of course, you have the bottom plate, pcb, and possibly the optional middle piece to reinforce and stabilize it so I don't think it will be too noticeable.

Hope that helps.
I'm back.

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:41:38 »

So I don't have any insider information about BigBlueSaw's carbon material, but most of this kind of work is done on 3k plain weave, and this is 1.5 mil.  An uncut plate of 1.5 mil CF of this type will have very little give to it; it will not fray or come apart at the edges.  You can take the edge and drag it along concrete and it will get scratched and worn down but it will not fray and I've never seen it chip.  So, as far as the bottom plate goes, I think you can rest easy.

With the top plate, that applies to the edges as well.  Should be no chipping, separation, fraying, etc. over time.  I am indeed interested to see how cutting all the switch holes in the top plate will affect its rigidity.  I'm not worried about it cracking or breaking under normal use.  At all.  I just think that it might have a bit of "springyness" to it.  Of course, you have the bottom plate, pcb, and possibly the optional middle piece to reinforce and stabilize it so I don't think it will be too noticeable.

Hope that helps.

Normally calculating the loss of rigidity would be relatively trivial for a FEA simulation, however since carbon fiber doesn't behave like a metal alloy (alloys behave linearly up until yield stress, and CF behaves very much in a non-linear way), I would be reluctant to give a percentage loss of rigidity.... and even the number that I give would be relative to the bottom plate w/o any cut outs.

That said, I don't see rigidity problems with this board, and have added myself to the GB  :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:57:03 »

Hope that helps.

Well I was just out in the garage looking for my CF stock so I could show you guys some pics of 1.5mm CF plate.

But I moved a few months ago and everything is in boxes, etc.  Almost got crushed under a pile while trying to scoot the bottom box out so I could see what was written on it.  And never found my CF!

The things I do for you jokers. :-)
I'm back.

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:58:33 »

Hope that helps.

Well I was just out in the garage looking for my CF stock so I could show you guys some pics of 1.5mm CF plate.

But I moved a few months ago and everything is in boxes, etc.  Almost got crushed under a pile while trying to scoot the bottom box out so I could see what was written on it.  And never found my CF!

Get to unpacking you lazy bum!  :))

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:00:00 »

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

:p
I'm back.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 16:34:39 »
happy renders should be here incredibly shortly

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:51:18 »
Sorry for the continuous questions... can this board utilize plate mounted switches?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 14:37:18 »
Sorry for the continuous questions... can this board utilize plate mounted switches?

It's probably physically possible to clip in plate mount switches at the top and bottom of each cutout. However, you're going to want a PCB for stability, as the large cutouts will allow switches to shift. This is mostly an issue with the larger cutouts for modifiers, and less of an issue around the alphas.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 14:44:19 »

It's probably physically possible to clip in plate mount switches at the top and bottom of each cutout. However, you're going to want a PCB for stability, as the large cutouts will allow switches to shift. This is mostly an issue with the larger cutouts for modifiers, and less of an issue around the alphas.

Got it, good to know, thanks!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 15:56:21 »
FYI carbon fiber is conductive so you'll want to have a sheet of plastic or something between your PCB and your bottom plate.
I'm back.

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 16:05:23 »
FYI carbon fiber is conductive so you'll want to have a sheet of plastic or something between your PCB and your bottom plate.

It can't be that good of a conductor...I know the Boeing 787 they add a copper mesh to the CFRP layup stack in order to ensure there is enough conduction in the event of a lighting strike.  That said, even a crappy conductor could result in a bad day here... I'll have to see what kind of clearance I have when it's all mounted.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 16:10:43 »

It can't be that good of a conductor...I know the Boeing 787 they add a copper mesh to the CFRP layup stack in order to ensure there is enough conduction in the event of a lighting strike.  That said, even a crappy conductor could result in a bad day here... I'll have to see what kind of clearance I have when it's all mounted.

The first commercial use of carbon fiber was light bulb filaments. Yes it has high resistance but not high enough to not cause problems.
I'm back.

Offline E3E

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 16:59:22 »

What about aluminum cases and such, is there typically an insulator for PCBs in such configurations as well? A lot of top plates are also metal, though I'm thinking this is strictly about the bottom of the case touching all the business.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 23:17:23 »

What about aluminum cases and such, is there typically an insulator for PCBs in such configurations as well? A lot of top plates are also metal, though I'm thinking this is strictly about the bottom of the case touching all the business.

most of them are anodized which when done properly doesn't conduct electricity
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline E3E

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 23:52:08 »

most of them are anodized which when done properly doesn't conduct electricity

Oh, I see. I had no idea! Thanks for the info. So I guess it'll be important to be careful with this case indeed.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 11:27:49 »
happy renders should be here incredibly shortly

When you say "incredibly shortly" what does that mean exactly  :p

You could say I'm "happy" to see these renders... hah... ha... hrm... :confused:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 12:50:33 »
Sorry for the render delay, I've been swamped at work. I'll have them up later today.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:07:42 »

Light Render

Dark Render