Author Topic: [GB] Timber Wolf - Starting to place orders  (Read 67056 times)

Offline soupymeatballs

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, GB is live!
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 20:32:11 »
What a shame it has a bad layout, otherwise it would be great

I don’t get it. The point of the Timber Wolf is that it has multiple layouts.
Unless you’re a troll and I just got whooshed.

They commented a similar thing on the Austin GB thread too. Seems they feel that they need to comment that on anything that isn't a TKL. Idk why someone would spend their time doing that.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 20:35:31 »

They commented a similar thing on the Austin GB thread too. Seems they feel that they need to comment that on anything that isn't a TKL. Idk why someone would spend their time doing that.

Oh wow you weren’t kidding.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 21:03:52 »

I haven’t been in th hobby long but it seems some people just crap for craps sake. 

Offline goddream

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 21:21:47 »
We're currently at 37 units ordered, or 39 if the two remaining people who filled it out before the group buy start time respond to my email. Looks like we might not have to wait a month to get started after all!

Thanks everyone <3

I've been offline for a few days, and just filled out my order. Hope i make it in!
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 01:24:03 »

I haven’t been in th hobby long but it seems some people just crap for craps sake.

Sounds endemic to any hobby that costs good money

Offline kaziolas

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 16:53:04 »

Ability to customize layout... "has bad layout" 

Sometimes you just can't win.

Its bad for me, I find it really annoying layout, but its good for you, so whats the issue... There are 0 products in the world which are liked by everyone

Offline soupymeatballs

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 16:58:00 »

Ability to customize layout... "has bad layout" 

Sometimes you just can't win.

Its bad for me, I find it really annoying layout, but its good for you, so whats the issue... There are 0 products in the world which are liked by everyone

I think what most of us found confusing is why you would just comment something like that on a GB post. Constructive criticism is one thing (ok on an IC post) but just saying a layout is bad on a GB post is neither helpful nor appreciated.

Offline Croktopus

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, GB closed
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 22:20:10 »
40/40 slots filled!

Thank you everyone that's participated. There are a few order forms where I need to contact people (I'll be sending all those emails later on tonight), but after we get that all sorted out, I'll be sending out invoices.

Just in case some invoices go unpaid, I've added a standby form.

Time for the real work to start!

Offline h.parks

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 14:24:45 »
congrats on reaching MOQ in 12 hrs and selling out in 3 days!  :thumb:  :cool:

taking this as proof that geekhack can appreciate bold, new layout options
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 19:09:30 »
congrats on reaching MOQ in 12 hrs and selling out in 3 days!  :thumb:  :cool:

taking this as proof that geekhack can appreciate bold, new layout options

lol yeah i'm pretty happy, was nervous it was just me and like 6 other people that were down for something funky

maybe i should fire up the ol' mwo to celebrate

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 19:23:35 »
40/40 slots filled!

Thank you everyone that's participated. There are a few order forms where I need to contact people (I'll be sending all those emails later on tonight), but after we get that all sorted out, I'll be sending out invoices.

Just in case some invoices go unpaid, I've added a standby form.

Time for the real work to start!

Congratulations Crok! May your future IC and GB runs be as awesome and successful!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 19:30:40 »
Congrats!!!  I’m so happy for you.  I can’t wait to get my hands on this bad boy.  Hopefully the wait will be slightly shorter.

Offline mchaput

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 22:22:39 »

Sorry to be paranoid, but could you please post here when you send out the invoices, so if I don't see it I'll know to check my spam folder or whatever?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 22:28:39 »

Sorry to be paranoid, but could you please post here when you send out the invoices, so if I don't see it I'll know to check my spam folder or whatever?

np, planning to send them late tomorrow night but i'll post when i do

Offline Bits

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 04:36:23 »
Damn. I totally spaced and missed this. I would have totally loved a Timber Wolf being a fan of Battletech. I'll definitely be looking forward to your other GBs!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 03:38:44 »
Invoices have been sent. Let me know if you didn't receive one, or have questions/want to modify your order. Please get them in by the 10/4 date!

Thanks again everyone <3
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2019, 03:40:19 by Croktopus »

Offline mchaput

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 07:52:51 »
Invoices have been sent.

Woohoo! Can’t wait to see the end product. Best of luck through the whole process!

Offline VelourFog

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, invoices sent, standby signup still open
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 08:37:39 »
Paid in full  :thumb:

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 10:15:38 »
Just found out I will be having heart surgery, and because I'm in America that means I'm gonna be broke af. Still paid invoice but i'm gonna be pissed if I die on the table before I get to see one of these babies IRL.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 11:57:12 »
Paid in full  :thumb:

:D

Invoices have been sent.

Woohoo! Can’t wait to see the end product. Best of luck through the whole process!

Neither can I. Hopefully the 5 month estimate was as super conservative as I thought cuz I can't wait to send these out.

Just found out I will be having heart surgery, and because I'm in America that means I'm gonna be broke af. Still paid invoice but i'm gonna be pissed if I die on the table before I get to see one of these babies IRL.

Hooooooooo buddy. Hope that goes well dude. cuz i mean, i got more boards in the pipeline too ;)

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:52:07 »
Just paid, can't wait!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 22:25:09 »
Heads up, I've sent out a few emails to people on standby as a few people have canceled their orders.

Offline goddream

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 01:27:46 »
invoice paid!!
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline goddream

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 01:28:03 »
has it been 5 months yet

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 09:05:59 »
Hooooooooo buddy. Hope that goes well dude. cuz i mean, i got more boards in the pipeline too ;)
Oh man that's gonna motivate me so hard during post op ;)
Invoice paid. Idk if i'm more excited for the vertical 2u keys on a 75% or a rotary knob.

"i got more boards in the pipeline too"
Any hints or behind the scenes reveal of what you got coming down to road? :)

Offline Croktopus

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf - Starting to place orders
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 04:32:12 »
Thanks to everyone that paid invoices. Current status: placing order for cases and putting together BOMs and stuff for PCBs. Investigating packaging (not looking to make it ultra premium like norbauer or keycult, but i'd like to go overkill on the protection side of things). If anyone has advice on getting packaging made at a reasonable price for low MOQs, I'd love to chat.

"i got more boards in the pipeline too"
Any hints or behind the scenes reveal of what you got coming down to road? :)

Few other boards at varying levels of progress (one has a completed case and no pcb, one is the other way around, couple others are just rough drafts for both). But the next project is pretty much done with everything pre-proto,though I need to partially re-do the PCB cuz QMK doesn't like me. I posted something in the Timber Wolf IC, but can post a little tease here too. Once the rush to place orders is over, I plan to post a full IC.

227690-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 04:40:18 by Croktopus »

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 05:39:54 »
(Attachment Link)

Ooooh that looks nice! Any chance of going full south paw and moving the nav cluster to the left side like the Aegis?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 21:30:49 »
(Attachment Link)

Ooooh that looks nice! Any chance of going full south paw and moving the nav cluster to the left side like the Aegis?

nah. i respect the aegis, but i wouldnt enjoy using it. i experimented with something similar a while ago and quickly realized that i hate it lol. comes down to just my layout philosophy

Offline h.parks

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 14:37:28 »
any GB status update to share?
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 23:36:12 »
any GB status update to share?

nothing *major*. basically I've spent the last month convincing paypal that I'm a cool dude, trying and failing to convince my bank that I'm a cool dude (it's not a regular bank so I shoulda seen that one coming), convincing my local government that I'm a cool enough dude to run a business, and now I'm working with a new bank to get it all processed. On the bright side, I pretty much expected this bs so I wouldn't even say we're behind schedule. Well maybe a bit behind schedule cuz I also had to move and that kinda ****ed me up for a week or so.

thanks for everyone's patience as I stumble through my first time doing this stuff. I've already learned plenty, and actually thanks for the question because going forward I'd like to make a habit of doing an update post every Sunday, just for better transparency.

11/18 update: everything's squared away, just waiting for money to transfer...
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:05:43 by Croktopus »

Offline mchaput

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 11:28:32 »
Red Timber Wolf buyers, what caps are you planning to put on your board? I picked up GMK Red Samurai in anticipation, now I have to wait 4 months to see how it looks ;) I figure if that doesn't work, black keys will always look good with the red case.

Also have a bag of Zealios on the shelf earmarked for this board. Why do I torture myself?

Matt

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 12:41:42 »
Dumb question on switch compatibility.  I'm going to be buying all the necessary switches I need from ZealPC - should I be buying any stabilizers or would they not be recommended / useful with this PCB?

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 13:05:19 »
Dumb question on switch compatibility.  I'm going to be buying all the necessary switches I need from ZealPC - should I be buying any stabilizers or would they not be recommended / useful with this PCB?

Since this is a plateless board, you would need screwed in stabs like the Zeal stabs. I personally would go with screwed-in Cherry/GMK/C3 stabs since the Zeal ones are so overpriced, but that's just me.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 14:57:51 »
I hear you.  Def priced high.  There is a pre-Black Friday sale on them right now that softens the blow.  I just want to make sure I buy all the needed things in one swoop so I'm not paying for shipping twice.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 18:32:45 »
Red Timber Wolf buyers, what caps are you planning to put on your board? I picked up GMK Red Samurai in anticipation, now I have to wait 4 months to see how it looks ;) I figure if that doesn't work, black keys will always look good with the red case.

Also have a bag of Zealios on the shelf earmarked for this board. Why do I torture myself?

Matt

Honestly, Jamon seems the best fit. But if I had to choose among the current ICs/GBs, I'd slap GMK Alter.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 05:09:56 »
"weekly" update that i already missed one of out of the 4 weeks ive been doing them, oops

Manufacturing is ongoing. Assuming nothing goes too wrong, I'm expecting to get the cases delivered to me in less than 2 months.
In pre-production for PCBs (verifying the PCBA files are gucci with a test run)
MetaMechs is a totally legit business. Feels good.
Bushwacker IC is a ways off as I want to have a physical prototype in hand this time.

12/11 update: nothing really new. hopefully more stuff is happening next week!
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2019, 01:15:42 by Croktopus »

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 17:17:57 »
Hopefully everything occurs before Chinese New Year.  I've heard China can kind of 'shut-down' to celebrate.  Either way glad to hear we're progressing well.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 23:46:11 »
Hopefully everything occurs before Chinese New Year.  I've heard China can kind of 'shut-down' to celebrate.  Either way glad to hear we're progressing well.

I'm somewhat optimistic manufacturing of everything will be done by chinese new year, but...not gonna guarantee it

12/18: just unpacked some pre-production pcbs, have to do some testing, I'm worried that my LED adjustment circuit messes with the board's reset function when LED is mega dimmed, so I might have to do another round of test PCB to fix that issue. hopefully i can fix it by just swapping out a resistor value, though.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:51:25 »
So my contact at the factory got me some photos of the colors. They're ****ty camera phone pictures, the lighting's not great, and even in the best of cases I wouldn't trust pictures too much with colors but...

Colors were one of my big anxieties going into this, and I gotta say, I'm feeling pretty relieved. The red is nice and rich like I wanted, doesn't look orange like the original color sample did. The violet and rose gold both look very nice, and the blue grey is actually pretty close to my platonic ideal. the dark gray might be just a tiny bit darker than I wanted, but it's really hard to tell from the pictures (in the close up, the section in darkness looks almost black, while the section that catches the light looks pretty on point, so that one I'll definitely need to wait and see in person).

We're not out of the woods yet for anodization - the factory said there were some issues on some pieces that need to be fixed, and color consistency is still up in the air, but I'm feeling good. It's going slower than the factory estimated (whodathunk) but honestly way faster than I anticipated.

233177-1233179-2233181-3233183-4233185-5233187-6
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:55:32 by Croktopus »

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:57:13 »
Obviously a little hard to tell the quality of the ano but the pigments look great! I'm super stoked for how the blue came out

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 12:49:08 »
That red  :) I almost feel bad ordering dark grey over it. Almost.

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 13:02:51 »
I'm kinda regretting getting silver...kinda. Still looking forward to seeing more and eventually getting it into my hands!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 10:27:18 »
Nice to see the colors.  Still wish white had been offered.  Looking forward to getting more updates!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 16:57:49 »
So, cases arrived! I've done some very very initial inspection and I have good news and bad news. Let's start with the bad.

Two of the four boxes were ****ed during shipping - not sure if it was ****ty packing or handling (probably both) but yeah, pretty big vertical holes and crushed corners, that kinda stuff. I've so far examined 6 cases (top and bottom pieces, haven't gotten to badges), two were dark gray and 4 were red. 1 of the dark gray top cases was pretty bad - 3 places on the exterior with anodization issues. one of the red top cases had a small chip taken out of it (the kind of damage cerakote won't fix), and 2 of the other red cases had some minor external issues that would make me classify them as B-stock. I'm still hopeful that these are outliers as they were taken from the most damaged areas, but I'm almost certain I'll need to do a (hopefully small) remanufacturing run.

It's also worth mentioning that on all the bottom cases, the internals have been some measure of pretty bad, but the externals were pretty much flawless on all but one. Since I'm not counting internal flaws against a case unless it's egregious, seems like plenty of A-stock there.

The good news is, the red and dark gray colors are both great, and the two A-stock top pieces I've checked out so far are really nicely done (pretty much flawless externally), so if I can get everything up to those standards, we should be good.

Like I said, this was a super brief initial inspection - it'll probably take me a week or more to catalog each piece. I'm still cautiously optimistic, and will update when i have more information, but I wanted to keep everyone in the loop, even if it's not the happiest of news.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 11:43:20 »
So, cases arrived! I've done some very very initial inspection and I have good news and bad news. Let's start with the bad.

Two of the four boxes were ****ed during shipping - not sure if it was ****ty packing or handling (probably both) but yeah, pretty big vertical holes and crushed corners, that kinda stuff. I've so far examined 6 cases (top and bottom pieces, haven't gotten to badges), two were dark gray and 4 were red. 1 of the dark gray top cases was pretty bad - 3 places on the exterior with anodization issues. one of the red top cases had a small chip taken out of it (the kind of damage cerakote won't fix), and 2 of the other red cases had some minor external issues that would make me classify them as B-stock. I'm still hopeful that these are outliers as they were taken from the most damaged areas, but I'm almost certain I'll need to do a (hopefully small) remanufacturing run.

It's also worth mentioning that on all the bottom cases, the internals have been some measure of pretty bad, but the externals were pretty much flawless on all but one. Since I'm not counting internal flaws against a case unless it's egregious, seems like plenty of A-stock there.

The good news is, the red and dark gray colors are both great, and the two A-stock top pieces I've checked out so far are really nicely done (pretty much flawless externally), so if I can get everything up to those standards, we should be good.

Like I said, this was a super brief initial inspection - it'll probably take me a week or more to catalog each piece. I'm still cautiously optimistic, and will update when i have more information, but I wanted to keep everyone in the loop, even if it's not the happiest of news.

Appreciate the update, chief!

Offline japancakes

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 19:49:14 »
I'm not in this GB but those samples look *****ng sick

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:37:01 »
Any updates?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:58:09 »
Any updates?

Yeah sorry I've been posting in the Discord.

A few of the cases arrived damaged and I need the factory to re-do them, and the cny/coronavirus stuff is delaying that. also the inside of the bottom cases are all varying levels of scuffed, but I'm not counting that against them for QC since none of it mechanically affects anything and none of it is visible when assembled. there's also an issue where they just didn't drill&tap some holes, so I'm gonna either take care of that myself (with the help of a couple machinist friends) or hire a local machine shop to take care of that.

the good news is that the colors are better than i hoped, and i didnt get scammed, the factory is even offering to cover costs for repairs and replacements, will update with more on that when they return.

the PCB is ready (i've been tweaking it bit by bit over the last few months as my pcb design skills have improved), so I'll be ordering that when the factories are back up and running, and I've got most of the auxiliary bits either on the way or in house (screws, feet, rubber washers, etc). Packing is the current source of stress, as it'd be easy enough to just use bubble wrap, foam sheets, esd bags, etc. but i wanna play around with custom cutting foam. final decision on packaging is going to have to wait until we see how much extra i'll have to pay to complete re-manufacturing (they implied that they'd take care of it no charge, but i'm a cautious dude).

ETA I quoted on discord is "march-ish"; I think I can hit that, if it runs a bit late I'll see about throwing in some extras like custom cut foam (no guarantees, but my makerspace just got a lasercutter so i want to experiment)

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:15:39 »
Thanks for the fast update.  Somehow I missed that there was a formal discord - I'll have to look up the link.  I look forward to getting the board and someday running my own GB for Prost.  Getting closer to getting all the icons done. 

Offline killchain

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 11:05:09 »
Kind of bummed that I missed that, although the price is a little steep for me.

Is a next iteration is planned? If so, will you consider things like ISO enter and a split spacebar?