Author Topic: [IC] ADK64v2 - will relaunch new IC soon  (Read 10945 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
[IC] ADK64v2 - will relaunch new IC soon
« on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 18:22:25 »
Hi guys, this is going to be very simple for now, as I have not started doing any design work on this, but I'm thinking about redoing the ADK64 case with a top mount or gasket mount.

Reasons:

• Tray mount sux
  • FR4 plates enable me to do some whacky plate to fit a 2-piece 3d printed layout like the ADK18
  • Printing the ADK64v2 in two halves means we get a really smooth curve like the ADK18
  • Its not tray mount, because tray mount sux

I'm leaning more towards top mount over gasket mount, as my other project (PLA75) was easy to implement gaskets into because it was built around them from the ground up, whereas this may be harder to implement because I'm limited to keeping the ADK64 shape. I'll probably end up doing some clever burger mount with elastic bands or something nifty.

So yeah, let me know if you're interested, let me know if I should run anything more than the grey/beige/clear/glow, and let me know general thoughts.

Since I'm doing a case and plate, I might as well offer a PCB too, and Nachie should be done his paladin64 redesign. As those with the paladinpad know, they're quite nice, feature rich, and just good boards, so I'll see if we can get a batch of those made.

Timeline is roughly this:

1. Finish winter semester in one piece
2. Do most of the design changes on the ADK64 over holiday break
3. Prototyping in January
4. GB sometime in Feb if everything goes right.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 11:35:20 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline jrs

Re: [IC] ADK64v2 - Top/gasket mount this time
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 18:34:04 »
Do a gasket mount like the Unikorn with a gasket between the PCB and plate, which it will rest on.  It'll soften the bottom out, dampen the sound, and allow you to keep the case one piece.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 19:28:48 »
Do a gasket mount like the Unikorn with a gasket between the PCB and plate, which it will rest on.  It'll soften the bottom out, dampen the sound, and allow you to keep the case one piece.

So that it is placed before soldering? Sounds weird but interesting. I'll find some pics and have a look.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 20:30:14 »

So that it is placed before soldering? Sounds weird but interesting. I'll find some pics and have a look.

The PCB has cutouts where a post fill be able to fit through it. The gasket is in between the pcb and plate and sits on top of the post. The plate prevents the gasket from stretching too far out
EM7 | Nunu | Salamander | RF84u | SS AEK64

Offline jrs

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 04:44:05 »

I think the gasket is applied after soldering, but before the PCB and plate are inserted into the case.

Offline vegs

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 05:06:38 »

I think the gasket is applied after soldering, but before the PCB and plate are inserted into the case.
Yes. The gasket can be removed and applied at any time. It sits between the PCB and the plate.
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline sendpie

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 07:33:51 »
something to look forward to, have a stockpile of orange alps waiting to be built upon

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 08:44:02 »
Oh hell yes, count me in for for sure when this goes live! I honestly love my ADK64's acoustics, but being tray mount even without the middle standoff the feel definitely leaves a little to be desired. Not any worse than any other tray mount cases, in fact a bit better because of the material. Although I'd swap it out for a gasket mount, burger mount, or even just a plain old top mount variant in a heartbeat. Anyways GL with this ReDsNoTDeAd, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 December 2019, 08:57:54 by Rob27shred »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 09:36:46 »
There are other "tray gasket" implementations possible as well. Heck you could even lay down strips of gasket material or foam in the bottom of the case that the PCB rests on. Although I think it's probably better to have the plate be "weight bearing" rather than the PCB, unless you want to build entirely plateless.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Vireca

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 05:20:26 »
If you can make a gasket that will be awesome, but a top mount is cool too. Anything better than a tray mount.

Any estimate price?

If you can't offer Nachie PCBs, what are the alternatives? Alps64 pcb and Maarten Plain PCB?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 12:23:37 »
If you can make a gasket that will be awesome, but a top mount is cool too. Anything better than a tray mount.

Any estimate price?

If you can't offer Nachie PCBs, what are the alternatives? Alps64 pcb and Maarten Plain PCB?

No idea on price, but it is less material than the PLA75. The nachie PCB will be more expensive than the kbdfans one, however.

If it doesn't work with nachie's I will just make it dz60/alps64 compatible and probably bundle it with some dz60s unless you want to get your own Alps unit.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 13:11:44 »

Any estimate price?

No idea on price, but it is less material than the PLA75. The nachie PCB will be more expensive than the kbdfans one, however.

If it doesn't work with nachie's I will just make it dz60/alps64 compatible and probably bundle it with some dz60s unless you want to get your own Alps unit.
Well, I want this for an alps build. So if Nachie can't make the PCBs I prefer to get the Plain Alps PCB from Maarten

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 15:10:27 »
Any estimate for costs and colors avail?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline jrs

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 10:32:07 »
I'd definitely buy this if it had an o ring gasket mount like the Unikorn, instead of a tabbed isolation mount or top mount.

Offline Caktuss

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 12:54:27 »
Yep.

Will this have a glow in the dark option?

edit; should have read the whole post. Yes, glow.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2019, 13:11:26 by Caktuss »

Offline jrs

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 13:57:16 »
The unikorn style gasket mount with an o ring would probably require a custom PCB, though, but I think it would be worth it.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 02:05:26 »

Got some work done on it tonight. Using the same mounting style as the PLA75, and its working out well for me so far. Case is too high and will be adjusted, just showing that I'm getting somewhere.

Offline sartarelli

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 11:07:47 »
Even though it's tray mount, ADK64 is still my favourite keyboard, definitely in for v2 if the price is right.

Offline jrs

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 13:55:08 »
Sad that this won't be truegasket  :'(

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] ADK64v2 - Have a look, I need feedback
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 00:15:38 »
Got a lot done on this, and I'd like some feedback on the shape. I'm working out the kinks with the height of the plate relative to the curve (again optimized for the AEK keyset, but I'll try and make it cover the bases of GMK/SA keycaps as well), but I've got the shape basically nailed down. The internals are a lot more advanced than the ADK64, so I'm not as able to make large changes, as there are gasket wells inside that need some room, etc.

With that being said, I've prepared a side-by-side of the v1 and v2. v1 is in white and v2 is grey. Please let me know what you think about the comparison, especially with regards to the curve/lip - I'm excited to see what you all think, and where to go from here.

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 January 2020, 04:21:29 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] ADK64v2 - Have a look, I need your feedback
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 01:28:00 »
Did you post a comparison photo?  I don't see anything.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 04:22:02 »
Did you post a comparison photo?  I don't see anything.

Oops, forgot to hit post on my edit. Fixed.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 05:00:41 »
Nice, looking good! I like the fact the new design doesn't slope up as high in the back & overall sits lower than the OG ADK64, it gives it a much sleeker look IMO.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 05:01:30 »
I like the symetric bezels you did for the new version. Regarding the angle maybe I like it more on the new one too. Bezels on the side view are cool too, feels that is a more refined design

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 11:33:43 »
looking smooth!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 12:02:46 »
t h i c c
Looks nice though! I feel like what was slimmed down was added to the right areas. Are the top and side bezels evenly wide?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 January 2020, 12:04:47 by Kokaloo »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 12:13:01 »
I appreciate the slimmer profile.  Looks more polished.  Is there a reason that you removed the filet on the bottom edge?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 15:24:30 »
I appreciate the slimmer profile.  Looks more polished.  Is there a reason that you removed the filet on the bottom edge?

I forgot to add it, that's why. Thanks for pointing that out! This is why I have other people look at stuff :P

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 15:32:46 »

I forgot to add it, that's why. Thanks for pointing that out! This is why I have other people look at stuff :P

Good eye @Pixelpusher! Although now that you've mentioned something about it, I think I might like it better without the fillet on the bottom? Any chance of the bottom fillet being an optional part of design @ReDsNoTDeAd?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 15:48:48 »
t h i c c
Looks nice though! I feel like what was slimmed down was added to the right areas. Are the top and side bezels evenly wide?

They're about as evenly wide as they can for being on a curve. Visually they are equal, as well as being equal along the curved surface, but I can't measure along a curve in my CAD.

TL;DR, yes

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 15:49:43 »

Good eye @Pixelpusher! Although now that you've mentioned something about it, I think I might like it better without the fillet on the bottom? Any chance of the bottom fillet being an optional part of design @ReDsNoTDeAd?

IIRC this was for printability, stuff like that I leave open for belle to experiment with so she can get the best prints. It's too small of a feature to take on the headache of multiple configurations.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 05:55:04 »
Any ETA for the GB?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 11:58:17 »
Any ETA for the GB?

I've still gotta prototype and coordinate a printing window with Belle. A month out at least.

Offline cosmo10292

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 11:02:44 »
Oh man this looks sweeeeeeeeeet
Polycarb?
Hotswap?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 11:17:36 »
Oh man this looks sweeeeeeeeeet
Polycarb?
Hotswap?

Polycarb probably not, I'm designing this to be printed (will be much nicer than v1)

Hotswap you'll just have to get your own pcb, but no reason why it wouldn't work

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:33:31 »
Are we still on track for this bae?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 00:52:47 »
No. Belle doesn't really have room in here queue, so I put development on hold for the near future. I'll be graduating and am working on other projects, so don't hold your breath on this one in the next couple of months. I still want to make this, as an ADK + a non-tray mounting system is a really nice board, but its just not in the cards for right now. I'd either need more dev time + belle to get printer time available, or for Prusa to drop their XL printer soon so that I can produce them (my MK3S is only big enough for split prototypes).

Sorry for anyone wanting one anytime soon. I do have extra ADK64v1's if anyone is after one, just email me at rndkbd@gmail.com

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] ADK64v2 - will relaunch new IC soon
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 11:36:11 »
Ignore the top post. Some magic happened and I'll be relaunching the ADK64v2 IC with some new features in the coming week.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 14:48:30 »
Well, at least there is hope :D

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 22:13:22 »

Split (but you can set it together VE.A style) 60% AEK in the ADK64 style. Gasket mounted plates on each half. USB-C to computer and USB-C to USB-C on the PCB halves.

Currently only have an alps PCB designed, but if this garners enough interest I'll look at getting an MX footprint added. I'll make a new thread with renders soon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 22:15:27 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline Vireca

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 13:32:27 »
But will you offer the standard 60% option?

Offline Caktuss

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 13:33:48 »
Could you do a solid and link the new thread here? I have this bookmarked and check it nearly daily instead of scrolling the main IC page.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 23:45:17 »