Author Topic: New To Geekhack  (Read 7449 times)

Offline swagpiratex

New To Geekhack
« on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 00:48:13 »
Just wanted to say hi. Grew up with a computer back when 133 MHz was state of the art. The IBM Model M was the keyboard that I grew up with and missed sorely once people stopped making PS/2 slots for budget computers.

At first I balked at the idea of paying over $100 for a mechanical keyboard. But once I got over the sticker shock and got a Das Model S Professional, I'm glad I spent the money.

Looking forward to researching more about the different keyboards out there and hopefully buying another set for use at work. The blues are annoying my co-workers  ^-^

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Re: New To Geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 01:45:52 »
Welcome to geekhack! wallethack as some like to call it ;D

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 02:46:24 »
Welcome aboard!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 10:40:34 »

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 11:10:38 »
If you're blues are loud, browns with O-rings would do wonders.

And welcome to GeekHack.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 August 2012, 11:18:34 by hazeluff »
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 12:14:53 »
If you're blues are loud, browns with O-rings would do wonders.

And welcome to GeekHack.
I'd just keep going on the blues. Happy day in the office!

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 12:57:45 »
Thanks for the welcome! Thinking about copping the Filco Multicam board in brown since I'm military geek as well.

Forgot which thread it was where someone asked if the marines are currently using it, but it's actually the army currently fielding the camo in Afghanistan for OEF (Operation Enduring Freedom).

$160 for keyboard
$40 for blank keykaps
$50 for nyancat and other swaggy keys.

I can see how this stuff gets expensive. I keep telling myself that the keyboard is something that I use the most of everyday, and amortizing the cost over just a year is just $1/day.

EDIT: Oh yea, @hazeluff. I've read some things about o-rings, and will do a search, but what are the differences between each of the thicknesses? Aside from helping with the noise, will I be feeling changes in key travel and feeling as well?
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 August 2012, 13:00:44 by swagpiratex »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 14:50:54 »
O-rings are great with noise because they take out a lot of the higher overtones. There are pads, too, I bought some from Leopold, and they are good noise reducers as well, maybe better than O-rings, but aren't as crisp at the bottom.

Also, there are sounds going down and coming back up, mostly these remedies only attenuate the down stroke. And, depending on how resonant your desk is, a rubber pad underneath can be a significant help.

I don't know which supplier, but I think that there is at least one company that gives serious discounts to active duty military personnel.

They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 05:30:34 »
O-Rings remedy mainly the sound of bottoming out your keypresses (which most people do).

The different thickness/softness just gives it a different feel. The thickness will mainly affect the distance until you bottom out. No personal use of them tho. I like to be loud and heard by everyone around me.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 13:17:21 »
Word. Thanks for the info guys, helps a lot. Co-workers will appreciate the lower noise from the browns anyways. If they're distracted by it, means they're not working hard enough  :))

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 00:34:47 »
O-Rings remedy mainly the sound of bottoming out your keypresses (which most people do).

The different thickness/softness just gives it a different feel. The thickness will mainly affect the distance until you bottom out. No personal use of them tho. I like to be loud and heard by everyone around me.
I wonder if we can make metal model F barrels, so the spring noise isn't dampenend as much by the plastic. It'd be pingy and loud for sure. I'd want one.

Welcome to geekhack, swagpiratex. I'm glad your co-workers appreciate something, and you are considerate to take them into account. My co-workers are all haters, so I can't really talk to them about keyboards much. Sorry about turning your wallet into a bifold of keyboards. :p

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 00:50:56 »
Thanks for the welcome! Thinking about copping the Filco Multicam board in brown since I'm military geek as well.

Forgot which thread it was where someone asked if the marines are currently using it, but it's actually the army currently fielding the camo in Afghanistan for OEF (Operation Enduring Freedom).

$160 for keyboard
$40 for blank keykaps
$50 for nyancat and other swaggy keys.

I can see how this stuff gets expensive. I keep telling myself that the keyboard is something that I use the most of everyday, and amortizing the cost over just a year is just $1/day.

EDIT: Oh yea, @hazeluff. I've read some things about o-rings, and will do a search, but what are the differences between each of the thicknesses? Aside from helping with the noise, will I be feeling changes in key travel and feeling as well?

Yes, there will be a reduction in travel.  3/32'' is about a thick as you'd want to go.  I don't particularly like the feeling of them on linear switches since you're always bottoming them out.  It makes it feel a little mushy instead of firm and reduces the clacky noise.  I think the thicker o-rings (3/32'') are great for blue switches since it places the click right near the bottom, which improves gaming accuracy.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 19:55:19 »
Welcome!

Offline hakujin

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 11:18:28 »
I have the same problem. Coworkers want to take my model M out back and reenact office space. I think they would hurt their feet.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 12:18:26 »
I have the same problem. Coworkers want to take my model M out back and reenact office space. I think they would hurt their feet.

Just get your cell out and be ready to call them an ambulance for concussion.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 15:22:00 »
Welcome to geekhack!  Don't let them ruin your experience with blues, blues are the best.
Gotta collect them all

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 15:23:56 »
Blues are awesome, all MX switches are until you try Topre!

Offline tgujay

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 15:35:49 »
Psssh I'm too poor for Topre, I don't think I'd like it that much.
Gotta collect them all

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Re: New To Geekhack
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 01:25:15 »
Psssh I'm too poor for Topre, I don't think I'd like it that much.

We are all too poor for Topre!

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 02:11:06 »
Not going to go near a Topre with a 10 foot pole, lol.

Got the Filco Multicam, should be delivered on Tuesday. Spent my entire weekend reading up about wrist rests today. Gonna cop one from The Beast for work, and might have him make me another one for the Das if it turns out well. Took my girlfriend to Fry's to ask her opinion, and now she's looking at the pink TKL Filco on Amazon, lol.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Re: New To Geekhack
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 02:13:54 »

Got the Filco Multicam, should be delivered on Tuesday. Spent my entire weekend reading up about wrist rests today. Gonna cop one from The Beast for work, and might have him make me another one for the Das if it turns out well. Took my girlfriend to Fry's to ask her opinion, and now she's looking at the pink TKL Filco on Amazon, lol.

Good work! I want a camo board but I have nowhere to put it!

Oh and excellent work on converting your girlfriend!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 02:29:32 »
OP, welcome. You just bought your first mechanical KB and joined the forum a few days ago, and now you're already bidding on $65 PBT sets. A few days in and already an addict haha.

There use to be a couple wikis on O-rings, but ever since the forum big-bang a lot of pics and wikis are hard to find now. I ran a large O-ring GB, so skim that thread; some useful o-ring info in there. I'm not doing the GB anymore, but buy a pack off wasdkeyboard.com to see how you like them. It's one of the cheapest mods you can do to a mechanical KB that will have huge impacts.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=25714.0

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 21:23:57 »
So the FedEx guy dropped this off at work today. I kind of wanted to stay at work longer so I could type more.

Gave the Das Professional S to my father, so on the hunt for another. Torn between brown or blues, lol. I think I might go with the blues. A TKL white otaku. And when I'm bored it'll sport rainbow/nyan cat keys. Geektastic.

But then I'll also need a black TKL with thick beige PBT caps.

I think i need help.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2012, 21:28:59 by swagpiratex »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 21:27:00 »

you are a dork for saying this. then again you bought a camo filco and nyan cat keys, and your  name contains swag and pirate, so i guess that was already settled. there's no accounting for taste...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:58:09 »
You norcal folks always did have a great sense of humor. Relax a lil', sometimes i like having some crunk juice and get hyphy too.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:59:36 »
cant help it im a cool robot dog
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 04:38:19 »
Get some o-rings i dont get them for the sound but the reduction in jolt when you bottom out. I buy 40A reds from WASD.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 07:31:01 »
I have a Filco multicam too and also considered the rainbow keycaps. I'm going to put ninja white keycaps on it first and maybe orange caps for wasd and arrows.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 08:16:40 »
Welcome aboard. Blue is the one that like a mechanical switch the most. But yeah it's pretty annoying, I can't stand with it when I'm working on my papers.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 10:53:21 »
The best part is now I get to experiment with keycaps and o-rings to customize the feel that I'm looking for.

After I get a little more experienced, I'll try the topres, since a lot of the people that have been hanging out here for a while swear by them.

@PointyFox: I thought about putting the rainbow keys on my Multicam Filco too, but realized that with the rainbow keys, it looks a little busy. White ninjas seems like a good fit though. I was thinking about going with black PBT blanks from feng to otaku-ize the board and improve the texture.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:07:19 »
What I really want are these for it:

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:10:02 »
That set looks sick. Colors would be a perfect match. Who makes them, and how do we cop? Is this the one jil_jil32 was going to make that was put on hold?
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:13:17 by swagpiratex »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:30:50 »
I have an almost complete set I would consider offers on:

2969-0

(yes i realize I put the menu mod on the wrong side)
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:35:31 by i3oilermaker »

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:32:38 »
This looks like round 3 double shots which are now available in round 4, plus orange round 3 keys also available in round 4. 7bit is running this group buy. I'm nervous about group buys, so I may be staying out of it and trying to buy them later on.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:34:37 »
This looks like round 3 double shots which are now available in round 4, plus orange round 3 keys also available in round 4. 7bit is running this group buy. I'm nervous about group buys, so I may be staying out of it and trying to buy them later on.

You shouldn't be nervous about group buys....except for 7bits :)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:38:20 »
Like the Unicomp stuff that went MIA.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 12:22:53 »
Boilermaker, aren't those the grey keys that Ripster had on his camo board?

I'm really curious to see what kind of keys jil_jil32 had planned to get made. All the pictures in that groupbuy are broken.

And idk if we can get that exact color scheme in the round 4 group buy.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 12:30:04 »
Boilermaker, aren't those the grey keys that Ripster had on his camo board?

I'm really curious to see what kind of keys jil_jil32 had planned to get made. All the pictures in that groupbuy are broken.

And idk if we can get that exact color scheme in the round 4 group buy.
They are the same ones Ripster has. That color scheme is called round 3 in round 4. "ROUND3 /TKL". If I recall correctly, jil_jil32's GB was similar but the background was green and the letters weren't as big.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 13:08:19 »
Thanks, I was dying to know what they looked like. :)

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:55:19 »
sth was right, I'm a dork. I kind of want a topre now...