Author Topic: I have been living a lie  (Read 8697 times)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
I have been living a lie
« on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:47:03 »
My first experience with buckling spring was a while back on a 1999 Model M 42H1292 (4th gen). Even though the board was in nice cosmetic shape and didn't seem to have any broken rivets, the key feel and actuation points were inconsistent and they felt way too heavy. It left a bad taste in my mouth for buckling spring.

Today at work I found a beaten up 1993 1391401 (3rd gen) lying around. It was missing a few keycaps but I got it home, cleaned it up, and took keycaps off my other Model M to replace the missing ones. It feels incredible, it may as well be a totally different keyboard. The keys feel very tactile and solid, just like I'd heard buckling spring described around here. I don't know what's wrong with my first Model M, but I'm really glad I found a better representation of buckling spring. I finally understand the fervor surrounding it.

Topre is still my one true love, but I want an SSK now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: I have been living a lie
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:04:30 »
My first experience with buckling spring was a while back on a 1999 Model M 42H1292 (4th gen). Even though the board was in nice cosmetic shape and didn't seem to have any broken rivets, the key feel and actuation points were inconsistent and they felt way too heavy. It left a bad taste in my mouth for buckling spring.

Today at work I found a beaten up 1993 1391401 (3rd gen) lying around. It was missing a few keycaps but I got it home, cleaned it up, and took keycaps off my other Model M to replace the missing ones. It feels incredible, it may as well be a totally different keyboard. The keys feel very tactile and solid, just like I'd heard buckling spring described around here. I don't know what's wrong with my first Model M, but I'm really glad I found a better representation of buckling spring. I finally understand the fervor surrounding it.

Topre is still my one true love, but I want an SSK now.

Me too!

I have two Model M - one feels loose and inconsistent (and had quite a few loose rivets ratting around inside the case), the other one is tight and consistent, and has no rattles (I haven't opened this one yet).

Huge difference between a good keyboard and a great keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:37:31 »
I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:46:42 »
You just made me put the Razer away and bring out the Unicomp! I then went to Typeracer and it felt so good. It is such an effortless typing experience and the sound is great especially the thump of the spacebar after each word thumped against the opposition!

Bought the black Unicomp 103 with black blank keys a few months back and loved it. But then I already was in love with the Matias MQP so it had to take a back seat. Then I forked out for an IBM Model M from Clickykeyboards that came with the PS/2 adapter hanging by a thread. My model M feels a tad heavier to me and is still great but now I'm dedicating today to 'Unicomp day'! And I'd like to add that whether IBM, Lexmark or Unicomp - each buckling spring may very well have its unique character and charm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:58:31 »

For a second there I thought that read that you don't even HAVE any keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:23:00 »

Technically I left it all at work minus the HHKB, so for all this week I have been typing on my laptop keyboard or my phone....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:24:25 »

Technically I left it all at work minus the HHKB, so for all this week I have been typing on my laptop keyboard or my phone....

I just realised that I have 3 of mine at work atm.  And the rest at home.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:28:28 »

I just realised that I have 3 of mine at work atm.  And the rest at home.

I had like 10 there but brought some of them home. I almost brought the others home when I stopped to think how much money I was leaving there for a week unattended....especially considering there are 3 GMK sets on the boards...that are there also...but between the keycard access and cctv cameras they should be ok.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:30:30 »
You just made me put the Razer away and bring out the Unicomp!

who chooses model m over razer???

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 01:01:33 »

Wetshavers?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 02:37:58 »

Wetshavers?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43145.0

Yes, I must delve more deeply into the stubble-free world of the wetshaver. I am not a wetshaver as yet. I'm a trimmer.

I guess I'm evolving somewhat from my starting point to destination wetshaver...razer to razor lol  :p

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 November 2013, 04:59:21 by BlackWidowMan777 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 08:10:39 »
I prefer no shaving.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 08:30:32 »
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 17:26:46 »
I prefer no shaving.

It JUST occurred to me that your profile pic is the leader of the hawkmen in Flash Gordon.  "HAWKMEN!  DIIIIIIIVVEEEE!"