Author Topic: Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 55g (Black) $199 sale @ EK  (Read 22572 times)

Offline gh_pp

Re: Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 55g (Black) $199 sale @ EK
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:51:43 »
Have anyone gotten their new 55G 87U black yet?

It seems like EK not just lower the price  but they also employed a cost cutting strategy by removing the red esc and Lavender replacement keys for W,A,S, and D from the package.

You can see from previous review that those are included.
http://imgur.com/a/WWF5t
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46851.0

I wonder if the white version or 45g/variable weight/slient S got the same treatment.

Keyboard without the red esc is just...  :confused:
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:53:33 »
Question for those who got in on this sale:

Did you receive a Red Esc and/or Lavender WASD?

No.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:55:08 »

No.

Thanks. I ordered one to try 55g Topre, and passed it along to gh_pp (^). There was some confusion about whether they should have been included. Looks like gh posted the reply from EK.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:56:59 »
That would explain the stock of red esc keys that they were out of and didn't know when they were going to get them in :eek:

Offline intelli78

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:57:49 »
That would explain the stock of red esc keys that they were out of and didn't know when they were going to get them in :eek:

Ah  :rolleyes:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 20:31:17 »
That would explain the stock of red esc keys that they were out of and didn't know when they were going to get them in :o

Part of the usual rip-off EK is well known for  ;) .  Imagine opening up people's actual purchases to remove intended items that were already paid for, is that legal in the US?

Someone should hit them in some small claims tribunal because this shouldn't be allowed in this day and age - outright simple theft  >:( .

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 20:55:16 »
Wow, really?

I ordered this as my first Topre board and I didn't even know they came with those things lol.  I did order a red Topre esc key with my order, but would be nice if the things that it's supposed to come with are included :<
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:01:41 »
If anyone really needs the lavender WASD cluster, pay for shipping and I'll mail them out to you. PM me if interested.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:07:52 »
Wow, really?

I ordered this as my first Topre board and I didn't even know they came with those things lol.  I did order a red Topre esc key with my order, but would be nice if the things that it's supposed to come with are included :<

I bought both the 45 and 55g REALFORCE keyboards in late 2012 and one early in 2013 and both had red ESCs and purple WASDs.  It even says on the package document paper inside the case, that it includes free of charge these items for you to enjoy.

Like I said, looks like EK trying to gouge the maximum amount of money (not entitled to) from current customers for no other reason than pure, idiot greed  >:( .

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:14:11 »
I bought both the 45 and 55g REALFORCE keyboards in late 2012 and one early in 2013 and both had red ESCs and purple WASDs.  It even says on the package document paper inside the case, that it includes free of charge these items for you to enjoy.

Like I said, looks like EK trying to gouge the maximum amount of money (not entitled to) from current customers for no other reason than pure, idiot greed  >:( .

Maybe brian can clarify, but since EK got a special EK edition 45g, maybe he got special bulk orders that he repackage in the US (like OEM).

But if the boxes are directly from japan with the red esc and wasd in every 87u and he took them out and reseal with the EK label, that's really bad business practice unless he specifically mentioned in the product description

"extra esc & wasd are removed to provide this new low price for our customers"

it's really a bummer coz I would have gotten an extra red esc along with my lube purchases if I knew this is the case.

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 01:43:23 »
Maybe it's up to Brian to run his business as he sees fit, I wouldn't know how to run a keyboard business myself hence have no idea what's going on.  I am no fan of him but at the same time he has to make a profit from what he sells.

You have to ask yourselves what would happen if Brian goes bust taking EK with him, who gets to distribute and sell Realforce and HHKB's to everyone in the US?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 02:21:46 »
Lucky I ordered a Red Esc. :-)

Offline dante

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 06:46:39 »
I'm not sad about the escape / wasd - I'm sad that the black Topre spacebars are out of stock - and the listing is removed so no telling if it will ever come back.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:07:19 »
I'm not sad about the escape / wasd - I'm sad that the black Topre spacebars are out of stock - and the listing is removed so no telling if it will ever come back.

So that explains the mystery price drop across the board a while ago. Since it looks like not just the 55G, but all the 87U don't come with red esc & wasd anymore (worth ~ $20 retail on ek's website).

I don't think the wasd are that popular. I have mine and I don't use them like many others.

Not being able to purchase replacement keycaps for your topre board will eventually kill the realforce. As long as the novatouch has excellent build quality I think CM will get all the topre $$$

Offline aref

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:56:25 »
I ordered one as a gift for my brother, whose wife also had gotten him one! Care to guess which one he's keeping? Now I have three 87U keyboards: two are mine, which I'm keeping.

I've decided to keep both black 87Us and swap out the white/gray keys from my 87UW. I'll likely try and sell the 87UW with key caps from my black 87U.

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 21:27:02 by SSKGuy »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:06:18 »
I ordered one as a gift for my brother, whose wife also had gotten him one! Care to guess which one he's keeping? Now I have three 87U keyboards: two are mine, which I'm keeping; and the new one will go into geekhack classifieds as soon as I log 60 posts. I'll sell it for $175, U.S. sales and shipping included--mea culpa for posting this prior to getting it into a classified ad.

Must resist  :-X

Offline Belfong

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:18:57 »

I ordered one as a gift for my brother, whose wife also had gotten him one! Care to guess which one he's keeping? Now I have three 87U keyboards: two are mine, which I'm keeping; and the new one will go into geekhack classifieds as soon as I log 60 posts. I'll sell it for $175, U.S. sales and shipping included--mea culpa for posting this prior to getting it into a classified ad.
Tempting sskguy. You will only ship CONUS?

Offline luis911

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 21:07:10 »
Man, Now I dunno If I should have gone with this instead of that 104ub-DK from massdrop.
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline aref

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 21:39:36 »
Okay, this is my new 87UBW: an 87UB with key caps from an 87UW. I love the look. I thought that I'd sell the other 87UB, but I thought, 'Why not keep both black KBs and switch key caps on one of them?' I'll list the 87UWB, white/gray base with all black keys, under geekhack classified ads tomorrow to see if there's any interest.

Offline aref

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 21:53:43 »

Must resist  :-X

I understand. Keyboards are an absolute in this life. And... you've got a new keyboard on the way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 22:02:15 by SSKGuy »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 06:32:44 »
Okay, this is my new 87UBW: an 87UB with key caps from an 87UW. I love the look. I thought that I'd sell the other 87UB, but I thought, 'Why not keep both black KBs and switch key caps on one of them?' I'll list the 87UWB, white/gray base with all black keys, under geekhack classified ads tomorrow to see if there's any interest.

I did basically the same thing :D :thumb:

Offline aref

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 08:22:06 »

I did basically the same thing :D :thumb:

It really is a nice look. I'm sure a lot of guys with both KBs have done the same. And when it's sitting in front of you, it's like, why didn't I do this sooner?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 13:03:27 »
I was an idiot and got 3 white real forces arg wishing I had a black case! :)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 13:42:13 »
You got three?!?! I thought you only got 2  :eek:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 13:58:17 »
You got three?!?! I thought you only got 2  :eek:

;D

Offline Belfong

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 02:46:08 »
Your post about having the RF on the cart and resisting to check out the cart is a 3-RF cart? OMIGOSH!! Why on earth do you need 3 RF?!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 02:48:06 »
Your post about having the RF on the cart and resisting to check out the cart is a 3-RF cart? OMIGOSH!! Why on earth do you need 3 RF?!

Only plan to keep one. Using the other 2 for internals.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 02:49:32 »
Whoa... 55g HHKB! OMG! Then shouldn't you be getting the RF Black at $199 instead?

Edit: is the cable detachable?
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2014, 03:04:33 by Belfong »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 12:36:30 »
Just got my Realforce in the mail :)

It came with a metal key puller and extra Ctrl keys, but no lavender WASD or red Topre Esc key that used to be included.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 02:09:36 »

It came with a metal key puller and extra Ctrl keys, but no lavender WASD or red Topre Esc key that used to be included.
How do you like it? Any impression?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 22:40:09 »

Yep, poor old Brian needs to make extra money some how  ::) .  Even though it's just a few dollars extra he's charging now, unless he's hording them into a pile and releasing them later for $50USD each.....

Just depends how desperate thorpie owners will get, here on Geekhack they might get serious with spending $100 each for those keys as time goes by.  After all have a look at the current payment for Click Clacks on here.

Offline avtar

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 17:10:25 »
FYI this sale ends tomorrow night. I made some tough choices so that I could order these beasts :-\

Offline tribade

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 12:34:00 »
FYI this sale ends tomorrow night. I made some tough choices so that I could order these beasts :-\

Hasn't ended yet!  It's still on sale, but who knows for how much longer.  I'm having trouble resisting!
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline avtar

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 12:48:44 »

Hasn't ended yet!  It's still on sale, but who knows for how much longer.  I'm having trouble resisting!

First of all,

Secondly you may want to call them and confirm that they'll honour the sale price. Brian has been pretty good about that in the past.

Offline tribade

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 19:02:41 »

First of all,

Secondly you may want to call them and confirm that they'll honour the sale price. Brian has been pretty good about that in the past.

I think I might snag a white one, then an aluminum case for it from the classifieds  ^-^  ah so much cash but it'll feel so good
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

Offline luis911

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 19:28:57 »

First of all,

I think I might snag a white one, then an aluminum case for it from the classifieds  ^-^  ah so much cash but it'll feel so good

I've yet to see an Aluminum Realforce Case. Is this really a thing?
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 19:33:42 »

First of all,

Yes.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Aluminum-Keyboard-Housing-with-USB-2-0-HUB-for-Topre-Realforce-87U-/161133900415?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item258454327f
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 20:10:00 »
Other than the digilog case (in the ebay auction above) there is one other realforce case that I know of, that sherryton offered for sale a while back.

For HHKB there was one metal case made at least.

Topre has at least one non-realforce KB with a metal case.

Offline tribade

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 19:12:46 »
Well, I bit the bullet.  Totally got the case and a 55g 87uw.  I freaking love it by the way.  My sausage fingers feel right at home on the 55g keys.  Here are a few potato pictures:

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 19:14:32 »
Well, I bit the bullet.  Totally got the case and a 55g 87uw.  I freaking love it by the way.  My sausage fingers feel right at home on the 55g keys.  Here are a few potato pictures:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Where did you get the case from?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 19:24:28 »
Wow, that case is bad-ass.. I love it!

Offline tribade

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 21:22:22 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Where did you get the case from?

I bought it from jalaj on the classifieds, but I believe they also sell them on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Aluminum-Keyboard-Housing-with-USB-2-0-HUB-for-Topre-Real-force-87U-Silver-/161162921107?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item25860f0493

Offline tribade

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 21:23:02 »
Wow, that case is bad-ass.. I love it!

Thanks!  I'm really happy with it so far.  It just gives the keybaord such a great heft.  It's substantially heavier than my KMAC mini, although I haven't weighed the two yet to find the exact difference.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 17:38:19 »

My 87UW 55g only came with the keypuller and swapped caps/control.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:25:40 »
Same as mine. No red Esc nor lavender WASD.

Offline tribade

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 10:03:15 »
However mine did come a red escape key and lavender wasd. I did get it on sale. I don't know why there was a difference.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 10:06:06 »
Different batches or maybe time. When did you get yours, tribade?

Offline tribade

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 10:10:53 »
Got mine just a couple weeks ago.  I don't remember the exact date off the top of my head.

Offline avtar

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 10:15:04 »
Got mine just a couple weeks ago.  I don't remember the exact date off the top of my head.

Probably just different batches that EK have in stock then? I received a white 87U in February and a black 87U earlier this month, both without the extra Esc or lavender WASD keycaps.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 10:21:35 »
Strange then... You're lucky, tribade.