Author Topic: [Solved] Need help flashing SMK65 / at90usb646  (Read 6088 times)

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
[Solved] Need help flashing SMK65 / at90usb646
« on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 20:09:30 »
Heya fellow keyboard enthusiasts  ;)

I've got a quirky issue programming the SMK65, and I'm not quite sure where to begin. Usually in the past I've been able to barrage a chipset with various loader commands until something stuck, but that's not been the case for the SMK65, and frankly this programming hiccup is seriously spoiling an otherwise fantastic board.

So far as I know it uses a Teensy loader (confirmed with LFKeyboards email help). Here are the methods I've tried:

- QMK Toolbox (Windows): nothing comes up, never recognizes the device
- dfu-util (MacOS): sees the device, but when trying a hex load, it loses the device after reset
- dfu-programmer (MacOS): get a 'no device present' message
- teensy_loader_cli (MacOS): hex parse error on the generated file from make?
- avrdude (MacOS): doesn't find the controller on reset

Associated commands:

- dfu-util --download lfkeyboards_smk65_mounds.hex
dfu-util: Invalid DFU suffix signature
dfu-util: A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Deducing device DFU version from functional descriptor length
Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 05ac:821d
Run-time device DFU version 0100
Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
Determining device status: state = appIDLE, status = 0
Device really in Runtime Mode, send DFU detach request...
Resetting USB...
Deducing device DFU version from functional descriptor length
dfu-util: Lost device after RESET?
- dfu-programmer at90usb646 flash lfkeyboards_smk65_mounds.hex
dfu-programmer: no device present.
- teensy_loader_cli lfkeyboards_smk65_mounds.hex --mcu=at90usb646 -w -v
Teensy Loader, Command Line, Version 2.1
Warning, HEX parse error line 1900
error reading intel hex file "lfkeyboards_smk65_mounds.hex"
- avrdude -p at90usb646 -c avrisp -e
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "unknown": No such file or directory

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Pressing 'reset' on the back of the board appears to put the keyboard into the correct state, and even though no keypresses register in this 'mode', whatever state the keyboard gets put into doesn't hook up to the tooling...

Any help would be appreciated  :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 April 2019, 15:32:32 by mounds »
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline nevin

Re: Need help flashing SMK65 / at90usb646
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 23:20:38 »
i've had problems with dfu on mac. never tried avr.

try teensy loader instead of cli. if that doesn't work, try atmel flip (win)
https://www.microchip.com/developmenttools/ProductDetails/flip#additional-summary
hasu's directions (scroll down to "Atmel FLIP for Windows") https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki

also, try default hex to make sure it's not something in your hex: https://qmk.fm/compiled/lfkeyboards_smk65_default.hex
- listed on QMKs supported boards: https://qmk.fm/keyboards/
- QMK configurator: https://config.qmk.fm/#/
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline mounds

• The Mounds Abides
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 20:27:48 »
Thanks for the reply!

I'll have to get the toolchain up on my Linux environment and report back findings. I wasn't aware of dfu compatibility issues on MacOS  :(

I have tried Teensy loader, with no success. Device still not recognized. I also have learned from Scott @ LFKeyboards that at some point the boards were using the dfu loader... and that the Teensy switch was more recent. dfu compatibility might be it!

I'll get things configured on my OpenSUSE env and report back findings  :thumb:
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 20:33:07 »
Same experience here. Scott helped me year or so ago.  QMK toolbox on Mac works for me every time now.  I’m fact, it’s the main reason I’ve kept my mac. Ha. Just make sure you type in the controller name in the drop down

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 23:23:00 »
Would love impressions on the smk65 when you get it up & running too.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 23:28:58 »
Would love impressions on the smk65 when you get it up & running too.

I like mine.  I actually have 2 builds.  One with linear SMK and one with clicky.  The linear are lubed with trybosis 3204.  Both nice boards.  The only issue is I have to have a mac to program it :)  The clicky one also has a piezo speaker for fun.

The PCB itself is well made and has never given me issues.  I have them in custom wooden cases using a Tada68 plate for one and a custom cut copper plate from Lasergist for the other.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2019, 23:40:46 by pixelpusher »

Offline mounds

• The Mounds Abides
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 14:53:02 »
Heya gents, sorry for the delayed response! 

Looks like my recent update to MacOS Mojave completely borked me  :confused: :mad:

I can flash to default file already compiled using the teensy loader cli, no problem, so it's definitely my toolchain. We can lay this to rest as 'user error'  ;) or maybe 'secondary effects of a system upgrade' error.  :thumb:

EDIT: an update friends - that was it. OS upgrade to Mojave killed me   :-X I guess this is a good time to burn all my bridges with OSX finally... Can't really put into to words how annoying it is to have the MacOS team breaking things routinely.

Rolled back to my High Sierra OS / ssd and toolchain. Built and flashed no problem  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 April 2019, 15:35:14 by mounds »

Offline nevin

Re: [Solved] Need help flashing SMK65 / at90usb646
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 16:12:02 »
"Rolled back to my High Sierra OS / ssd and toolchain. Built and flashed no problem  :rolleyes:"

yay, cheers!