Author Topic: Need help buying a mech keyboard.  (Read 16327 times)

Offline Diogones

Need help buying a mech keyboard.
« on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 00:42:24 »
Greetings Geekhack forum! I am a new user here, and as this is my first post, I'll get to the point. I am in the market for a mech keyboard, as I am convinced they are better than other types, but I am unsure which one to buy. Those more technically knowledgeable than myself might be able to help me purchase one. My parameters for buying a keyboard are as follows:

1.) I don't want to spend more than fifty or sixty dollars on one (I know that excludes most mechanical keyboards).
2.) Of course I would prefer a mechanical keyboard, but if there isn't one within my budget, then I suppose I wouldn't mind a rubber dome keyboard, as long as it is higher quality.
3.) I will use my keyboard for a combination of purposes: I perform secretarial work, so typing is of course quite important; but I would consider myself a gaming enthusiast as well, with an emphasis on RTS and strategy-based games.
4.) I don't need anything beyond the traditional qwerty layout, as I know that the bells and whistles (such as connectivity options, extra keys, etc.) will raise the price substantially.
5.) My computer does have a PS/2 port (which computer doesn't?) so I would be able to harness the full capabilities of that connection over a USB port. One question I do have though is, what difference does a USB to PS/2 adapter or vice versa have on the keyboard's performance, responsiveness, etc?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I welcome all helpful replies!

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 00:53:20 »
Quote from: Diogones;184549
Greetings Geekhack forum!

hello diogenes

...then I suppose I wouldn't mind a rubber dome keyboard, as long as it is higher quality.

they do exist

3.) I will use my keyboard for a combination of purposes: I perform secretarial work, so typing is of course quite important; but I would consider myself a gaming enthusiast as well, with an emphasis on RTS and strategy-based games.

doesnt sound like n-key rollover would be critical for you. that opens up some options.

5.) My computer does have a PS/2 port (which computer doesn't?) so I would be able to harness the full capabilities of that connection over a USB port. One question I do have though is, what difference does a USB to PS/2 adapter or vice versa have on the keyboard's performance, responsiveness, etc?

probably some gamers should answer that. for normal typing probably wont make much difference.

Some questions:
-audible feedback: do you like loud or soft sounds from your keys?
-tactile feedback: i assume you want some tactile feedback as well? or do you want a smooth (linear) downstroke?
-do you like heavy or light resistance on your keys?
-do you bottom out as you type? or are you trying not to?
-do you like shallow or deep throws on your keys?
-do you require n-key rollover (for FPS gaming or etc)?

(Come to think of it, someone should just automate this decision flowchart). Actually if that database is ever made, this is the kind of flowchart that could produce filtered/matching search results at the end.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 00:59:07 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Diogones

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 01:05:20 »
Thank you for your prompt reply Wellington! To answer your questions:
1.) I don't mind how loud it is. If it's quiet, I can pretend I have a laptop keyboard! If it's loud, I can pretend I'm on a typewriter!
2.) Yes, partly why mech keyboards are supposed to be great is they have that tactile feel to them. I don't want too much resistance though, because as I mentioned, gaming requires fast responsiveness.
3.) Oops, I guess I already answered this in number 2!
4.) Well, since I type quickly, (as my job is a secretary) I would say that bottoming out is a slower technique, and for speed typing it may be detrimental.
5.) I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "throws".
6.) Didn't you mention in your post that NKRO wouldn't be critical for me? I'm not sure, because I've never used a board that had such a feature, so I couldn't say one way or another. I suppose I wouldn't absolutely require it, but I'd consider it a bonus on the keyboard I buy.

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 01:11:24 »
If you are on a tight budget and don't mind a little cleaning you might be able to find one at a thrift store for under 10 dollars. If you don't like fiddling with food crumbs and leprechaun poop you best avoid this option however. I've never paid over 10 dollars for any of my mechanical boards but I HAVE had to do some serious cleaning. The great thing about the old boards is that they are robust creatures meaning that many will still work flawlessly with a little work.
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 01:24:50 »
Yeah, I always say a Model M is the best keyboard entry because you can sometimes get them for free, and it's a nice transition from a rubber dome. Supposedly Model Ms have a fair amount of resistance, but not any more than a rubber dome...
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 01:27:57 »
well, lets see.

5.) I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "throws".

ie, the distance from top of keystroke to bottom of keystroke.

6.) Didn't you mention in your post that NKRO wouldn't be critical for me? I'm not sure, because I've never used a board that had such a feature, so I couldn't say one way or another. I suppose I wouldn't absolutely require it, but I'd consider it a bonus on the keyboard I buy.

well, other gamers might chime in here. I dont know how critical it would be for strategy games, which is what, I gather, you mostly play. I know FPSers (first person shooters) do like n-key but those games put special stresses on the keyboard's controller that it has to handle.  TO be honest another reason you may want n-key is if you type super-fast. Whats your wpm? 100 or above? But like you say, for now, lets say its a 'bonus' feature.

so -- if you dont want too much key resistance, among mech boards you're probably looking at cherries or topres (Topres are out of your price range. Most cherry boards are too but a couple of models should be just within your price range.)
Cherries come in two flavors of interest here; blue cherries (audible click plus tactile feel) and brown cherries (no audible click, slight tactile feel).

You mentioned $50 to $60. Blues are easier to find in this price range. I can think of one n-key model and one non-n-key model:

For example, you might like adesso's new blue cherry board that just came out, and  also happens to be advertized as n-key: $63 [froogle shows at least one store that has it for $58 w/ free shipping]
http://www.provantage.com/adesso-mkb-125b~7ADES09Q.htm

In fact, if you buy it, you'll be the first known person at GH to own it, and we'll want to see a review!  But because no one has reviewed it yet, we dont know much about it (quality, whether it lives up to manufacturer's specifications, etc). It will probably be just fine however, and provantage does take returns, so you should be safe there. Its definitely one of the cheapest blue cherry boards (and with n-key, no less) that exists right now.

Another inexpensive blue cherry board is the scorpius m10 (reviewed by numerous people in the reviews section of the GH site). Not n-key. I've owned it and personally i like it just fine, and for your purposes will likely be just fine. See some of the reviews if you want a variety of opinions (of which there is no shortage here).
$59 w/ free shipping on ebay; plus if you use the much-talked-about bing.com 8% discount, you'll get it for about $55 if my math is right. THats the cheapest new blue cherry board you'll get.

Those are the two i can think of that fit closest to your requirements at the moment.  Other options: buy a used board on ebay (or GH marketplace) if a cherry board (brown or blue) is available. There are a ton of other cherry-based keyboard models (see the wiki for model names and numbers) that sell for over $100 when new but can be had as used models for less, tho they're not always on the market at a given time.

hope that helps!
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 01:53:47 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 05:53:19 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;184556
Yeah, I always say a Model M is the best keyboard entry because you can sometimes get them for free, and it's a nice transition from a rubber dome. Supposedly Model Ms have a fair amount of resistance, but not any more than a rubber dome...

Average rubber dome: ~55g
Model M: ~70g

Worn out Model Ms will be much less than 70g, but will be far less pleasant to type on.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 09:15:35 »
Quote from: ripster;184654
Adesso Blue Cherry is $67.  Striking distance of your budget. N-key (supposedly), good typing feedback audio and tactile, Good Enuf for RTS games.

just fyi froogle.com (google's shopping site) actually lists it for $58 shipped at one of the google-sponsored stores. Provantage (a fairly mainstream store) has it for $63.

someone buy and review the damn thing already. its a steal.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 12:32:37 »
Another question not asked - do you want a standard layout?
It sounds like the blues in a standard layout are going to be a much better recommendation for you, so I understand if you ignore this suggestion, but I thought I'd point it out.

There are some cheaper browns out there:

elbowglue has a G86-62410EUAGSA for $50 + $10 shipping, in the classifieds.

Dell sells rubberdomes - so nevermind.

Also, it would give you an extra slew of macro keys.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 13:53:33 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 12:37:35 »
Thanks for the classified bump, the ricercar SPOS is sold though!  The adesso looks pretty cheap and look to be a good price except for the huge enter key and small backspace key.

Dell's G86 keyboards are rubber domes if I am not mistaken.

Wow: Full sized blue cherry board by adesso, 72.99 with free shipping from directron (you might be able to apply some coupons too)
http://www.directron.com/mkb135b.html

Use coupon code preferred3 at directron for 3% off

Whoah look at this trackball:
http://www.adesso.com/en/home/micetrackballpresenters/308-imouse-t1.html
Big ball, left click, right click, scroll wheel.  Nice!
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 13:06:40 by elbowglue »
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline washuai

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 12:44:22 »
I thought Cherry changed the numbers, when they changed the switch type - that just makes it even more confusing.  Or maybe that's it, it needs to have letters at the end?
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 12:50:33 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 12:51:02 »
I think "G86" is a custom 'board number.  If you look on the back of the SPOSs, you'll see that there is a "real" model number.  In the case of the MX version, it does say "G80..." as well as MX SPOS.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 14:04:40 »
Quote from: elbowglue;184808
the ricercar SPOS is sold

I'll let my NIB ricercar SPOS go for $50 + 10 Shipping to the US.

Don't the MX SPOS all have a back label saying "Made in USA," and the MY have "Made in China"?
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 14:09:10 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 14:12:08 »
I believe that's the case, too.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 14:42:47 »
Quote from: elbowglue;184808
except for the huge enter key and small backspace key.

omg, i didnt even notice that. what a tragedy.

Offline Diogones

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:07:12 »
Alright, the Adesso (full-sized version) looks about right, although I'm confused. If the Adesso uses USB, and NKRO is PS/2, how the heck is that feature supported? I'm not sure about the Scorpius M10, as I've heard that it has had soldering issues and is not entirely as durable as a mech board ought to be. Alternatively, I could go with the ABS M1, unless anyone knows of any quality issues, etc. with it.

Is the SPOS any good? What sort of switches does it use? Because I can purchase that from ricercar if it is still available. Do you guys think buckling springs are better for gaming than MX Blues? On the one hand, double-tapping is easier with springs, but Blues don't have as much resistance, so it is something to think about.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:16:19 »
The MX SPOS has Cherry browns, and many of us feel they have a distinctly superior feel compared to an average Cherry brown board. I'm a fanboi of Cherry browns, so you won't likely hear any negative comparisons from me. I've gamed on browns and buckling springs and neither is distinctly superior.

The original ricercar SPOS enthusiasm thread is here.
Cherry Brown compact format $24 shipped BIN

Offline elbowglue

Adesso MKB-135b
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:16:41 »
Best deal seems to be from directron, $70 after coupon code, free shipping, no tax for california residents.

But: if you want it fast and you have free amazon prime, you can get it right away from amazon.com:  ($80, free super saver shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-MKB-135B-Pro-Mechanical-Gaming/dp/B0038KN6GO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1274386485&sr=8-1

Amazon should allow you to return it too I think.

If it's listed by amazon it now really available.

The adesso may give the filco 104 key a run for it's money.  Although the adesso has larger lateral ridges, it is 18.25 inches across, filco is 17.3 inces.  Adesso being available now, I'm gonna put them in my sig.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:33:37 by elbowglue »
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:21:36 »
Quote from: Diogones;184913
Alright, the Adesso (full-sized version) looks about right, although I'm confused. If the Adesso uses USB, and NKRO is PS/2, how the heck is that feature supported?

dont know, but there are nkro experts around who will chime in

I'm not sure about the Scorpius M10, as I've heard that it has had soldering issues and is not entirely as durable as a mech board ought to be.

this is arguable; i've owned two m10's and had no issues with them quality wise. But yea, at $60 its not going to look the same as a $150 board if you open it up and examine the circuit board. It will probably look and work fine on your desk however.

Alternatively, I could go with the ABS M1, unless anyone knows of any quality issues, etc. with it.

ugh. there are issues with that too, if you want to apply the scorpius M10 standard to it, starting with a slower controller that wont handle very fast typing. Whats your wpm? But aesthetically again its a fine board if you ask me. But another issue for you may be that it uses alps switches. Alps switches will be slightly heavier than cherry switches in terms of key resistance. You sound like you want a light-resistance board. Also the abs m1 comes with 2 different kinds of alps switches. The Xm switch isnt well reviewed. The fukka is better reviewed. Hard to tell which switch an abs m1 will ship with when you order it.
So there are complications with the abs m1, to consider.

Is the SPOS any good? What sort of switches does it use? Because I can purchase that from ricercar if it is still available.

is that brown cherries? I think you might like brown cherries given your description of your requirements. Ricercar is a great seller.

Do you guys think buckling springs are better for gaming than MX Blues?

i dont thnk so. BS are great switches but much heavier than mx blues.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:24:43 »
Quote from: Diogones;184913
Alright, the Adesso (full-sized version) looks about right, although I'm confused. If the Adesso uses USB, and NKRO is PS/2, how the heck is that feature supported? I'm not sure about the Scorpius M10, as I've heard that it has had soldering issues and is not entirely as durable as a mech board ought to be. Alternatively, I could go with the ABS M1, unless anyone knows of any quality issues, etc. with it.

Is the SPOS any good? What sort of switches does it use? Because I can purchase that from ricercar if it is still available. Do you guys think buckling springs are better for gaming than MX Blues? On the one hand, double-tapping is easier with springs, but Blues don't have as much resistance, so it is something to think about.

also, diogenes, keep in mind the adesso that I linked to has the L-shaped enter key and smaller backspace key, apparently (you can verify this on the pic of the one you're thinking of buying). Are you okay with that layout?

The adesso that elbowglue linked to has normal backspace and normal enter keys. So make sure you're looking at the right adesso as you consider your options.

Offline Diogones

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:35:48 »
Yeah I was just considering the ABS-M1 as it had a black switch, which I heard is excellent for low resistance. But if is as questionable as the Scorpius, then I'll have to look at that.

I'm quite a fast typer, at around 300 WPM, as I am a secretary in a law office. So for that reason browns like Ricecar's look very appealing with their low tactility. The keyboard that Rice is selling doesn't have NKRO though, correct?

I'm just holding back a little bit on the Adesso, because while I would be more than happy to review it (with posted pictures!) I think blue might not be the best for gaming. I'd probably be happy typing with it, but it's gotta be versatile. I really can't afford two keyboards - one for gaming and one for typing - at the present time. And since Ricecar's board is within my budget, maybe we can cut a deal.

Offline Diogones

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:37:22 »
Ok Ripster, if you say it's 6-key rollover, I'll take you at your word. And you are probably right: that should be more than enough key presses.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:42:34 »
Buckling Springs are better than Blue Cherries for games... leaving aside the "fire key" problem the stiffness makes them harder to accidentally depress.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:43:20 »
If you type quickly, the ABS M1 is totally out for you.  It has transposition errors for very fast typists.  Erase it from your mind, you will never like it.

The ricerrcar SPOS has a compact format.  You should realize that the end keys (backspace, enter, right shift, capslock, tab, left shift) are smaller than usual keyboards.

The feel of the Ricercar spos is second to none.  It is the best feeling cherry brown board there is.  And because I think that cherry browns are the best switch in general, IMHO it is the best feeling board in the world.  The only problem with it is the size of it.   Which I did not mind at all when I was using mine.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:44:39 »
Quote from: Diogones;184929
Yeah I was just considering the ABS-M1 as it had a black switch, which I heard is excellent for low resistance. But if is as questionable as the Scorpius, then I'll have to look at that.

There's a couple of problems with that.  First and foremost, the M1 is discontinued, so you're going to have a hard time finding one.  Second, it uses ALPS-compatible switches that aren't really all that low-resistance.  Cherry browns are lighter and smoother than the switches in the M1.  I would shell out for the Filco or G80-3000 w/browns (from DataCal.com).

Offline Diogones

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 16:00:20 »
Ok, Ok, you've convinced me. I'll avoid the M1. But would you be willing to sell your SPOS board Ricercar? And if you will, would you be able to link it, or provide pictures, specs, etc? If not, I might just go with the buckling spring IBM, as ch_123 explained they are better than blues for gaming.

Offline Diogones

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 16:02:34 »
Oh, and Wellington, I guess I can update you with what I've narrowed down so far:
1.) It will be a black, gray, or darker color keyboard (as beige and white tend to show dirt and grime more easily).
2.) It will have the standard keyboard layout (the compact size, shrunked backspace key, or jam-packed key design just do not appeal to me).
And of course, my previous criteria does apply as well.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 16:04:32 »
I'd recommend the Unicomp Spacesaver.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 16:10:12 »
Quote from: Diogones;184945
2.) It will have the standard keyboard layout (the compact size, shrunked backspace key, or jam-packed key design just do not appeal to me).

You won't want the SPOS 'board, then.  The layout on that one is very compressed.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 17:23:32 »
Quote from: Diogones;184944
sell your SPOS board Ricercar? And if you will, would you be able to link it, or provide pictures, specs, etc?

The one that's for sale is new in box, so there aren't any pics outside the classified ad. The thread I linked to has sufficient MX SPOS pictures and commentary to please any but the most hard-to-please.

Offline Diogones

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 18:47:43 »
While the Unicomp Spacesaver does look nice, Ch_123, (especially because it comes in black or metallic grey) I think that a spring board would be too stiff for me, as I prefer something that requires less compressive force. Still, I will consider it if the Adesso turns out to be less favorable to gaming, due to its blue switches.

I went back and checked your link Ricercar, thank you. So if it is right out of the box, then it doesn't have the modifications to it like the one in the original link? If so, then it's a solid color, correct? If only it wasn't so smushed together, I'd be handing you the money for it right now!

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 19:07:45 »
Yes, the NIB keys are all black plastic with white legends. IIRC the white legends are lasered. The keyboard enclosure is a different plastic than the keys, and therefore a different color, slightly lighter grey.

Offline Diogones

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 19:12:12 »
Forgive my ignorance, but what is IIRC?

Offline washuai

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 20:17:53 »
It isn't as pretty as Ricercar's compact and it is right behind it in feel according to comments on geekhack, but if you want a budget board with browns, there is also the thread linking to this NKRO with cherry browns for $34.95.

✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 20:24:34 »
Quote from: Diogones;184945
Oh, and Wellington, I guess I can update you with what I've narrowed down so far:
1.) It will be a black, gray, or darker color keyboard (as beige and white tend to show dirt and grime more easily).

300 wpm? Holy crap. You are the queen bee. That smokes pretty much everyone here. :)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 20:30:01 »
Quote from: washuai;185069
this NKRO with cherry browns for $34.95.

I have one of these too. It's a workhorse. The keyboard that never quits. PLUS you have all those custom keys to program.

Offline washuai

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 20:32:18 »
Quote from: wellington1869;185072
300 wpm? Holy crap. You are the queen bee. That smokes pretty much everyone here. :)

That smokes the official world record, if we're talking QWERTY.

✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Diogones

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 21:03:42 »
That's right Ripster! That's why I chose the name! I found out about Diogones in my philosophy class at college. Glad you caught that, and thanks for wishing me luck!

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 22:28:06 »
Oh oh. now you're in for it. With 10 posts, you're one of us now. And we're not kind to one another.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 07:46:41 »
Quote from: ricercar;185136
Oh oh. now you're in for it. With 10 posts, you're one of us now. And we're not kind to one another.

What the hell are talking about?  I, for one, am nice to everyone.  Now shut up, and finish that Kinesis mod before I head out to Cali and "make you" finish it.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 14:22:33 »
Quote from: itlnstln;185273
Now shut up, and finish that Kinesis mod before I head out to Cali and "make you" finish it.

Yassa massa. I be totin' dat bale as fass as dis po' boy can go. New post bah Mondee, foa shoa, suh.

Offline Diogones

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 14:22:51 »
Thank you for that correction Ripster! But you must remember, I am a mere mortal, and not a forum deity, such as yourself.

"Perfection is unattainable. Good craftsmanship however, is." -Michelangelo.

I'll send  you a PM Ricercar, so we can work out the details of the keyboard deal.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 14:32:45 »
If ripster's a forum diety, we're all heading for Hades.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 14:45:48 »
Quote from: itlnstln;185472
If ripster's a forum diety, we're all heading for Hades.

just bring him his daily human sacrifice and we'll be okay.
preferably a virgin.

you can send your tithes directly to majestouch ;)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 14:46:08 »
It was a transposition error.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 15:17:37 »
Quote from: ripster;185490
Majestouch is my favorite keyboard reseller.  And as I keep telling him, "the Customer is not always right!  In fact at least 5% will be true *******s."

sounds like you and steve jobs would get along just great ;)  Buy one board, from one monopoly seller, no returns, no escape. Yup, thats what we all desire for the keyboarding world :)

There are deities and there are deities :)

Offline prd

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 15:23:39 »
Diogones, if and only if you buy that keyboard from ricecar, I'll send you a mechanical one for free. Would it be an IBM M, an Oki? It's a surprise. Just pay for its shipment and it will be yours.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 15:27:00 »
Quote from: ripster;185494
Maybe it's 6%.

;-D pretty sure thats what the aztec priests thought too

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 15:28:28 »
Quote from: prd;185493
Diogones, if and only if you buy that keyboard from ricecar, I'll send you a mechanical one for free. Would it be an IBM M, an Oki? It's a surprise. Just pay for its shipment and it will be yours.

wow, thats the most fun random offer i've seen on the site in a while. really nice of you prd.

Offline prd

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 16:11:21 »
Actually, it's more selfish than nice, in a strange twisted way. But the offer stands, if Diogones agrees to it.