Author Topic: Removing keycaps from a Dell AT102W... Risky?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline spremino

Removing keycaps from a Dell AT102W... Risky?
« on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 09:56:46 »
I have bought an used Dell AT102W and would like to clean it thoroughly. However, I remember reading - here or elsewhere - that removing keycaps from Alps switches can be tricky. Now, I am worried about damaging the switches in the process, as I have no patience for being extra-careful - I would rather wait for a new keyboard to show up.

I am going to use a keycap puller, the model with two wires.

Thanks for your advice.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline Findecanor

Re: Removing keycaps from a Dell AT102W... Risky?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 10:08:35 »
Just pull straight up with a keycap puller and they should be fine.
It is when people have used knives and similar to pry keycaps loose from under the edge that they have broken.

Stabilised keys have the switch near the centre and no other mount that would need to be pulled loose (unlike Cherry stabilisers). If you pull too hard, one of the stabiliser mounts could be pulled loose but those can usually be snapped back into place. The stabilisers are a bit tricky to get back on again, but you'll get the hang of it.

BTW. I greatly recommend a mesh washing-bag with zipper for cleaning all keycaps (and plastic stabilier inserts) as one without risk of losing them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2019, 10:10:09 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline spremino

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 20:07:19 »
BTW. I greatly recommend a mesh washing-bag with zipper for cleaning all keycaps (and plastic stabilier inserts) as one without risk of losing them.

Are talking about washing them in a washing machine, maybe? Because I would just throw them in a container with water and a couple dental tabs.

Thanks for your feedback.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 21:03:30 »
Are talking about washing them in a washing machine, maybe?
No. Do put the dental tabs in the bag! Then just warm water from the tap: not hotter.
Afterwards, you rinse the whole bag and hang it up to dry.
🍉

Offline stevewilliam007

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 00:53:57 »
DO know why this problem arises every time when I try to install itunes on windows 7 and this has just started after installing the new keyboard in my system. Please help me to get rid of this problem.