Author Topic: Another Canadian  (Read 2554 times)

Offline HungerMechanic

Another Canadian
« on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 11:14:57 »
Hi,

I just thought I'd post to introduce myself.

I accidentally got into the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole back in August 2018, when it came time to replace the keycaps on my Filco Majestouch 2.

I'm active on Reddit/MK, which is where I learned about the high-end keycaps. But I've been following Geekhack, because Google searches keep leading me here. There are some very relevant threads about Cherry profile, switch weights, and so on.

You can often find candid discussions about the relevant merits of various switches on this board.

So I'm glad to be here, and I might even be able to contribute a little. I've been to two keyboard meetups, and have tried a lot of tactile switches.

My favourite tactiles are SKCM Orange Alps, and probably Brown Alps. They were an otherworldly experience, compared to any other tactiles, especially MX.

But they are not an 'off-the-shelf' option, nor are they cheap, or easy to maintain.

I grew up with the Model M keyboards in classrooms, or keyboards very much like them. But beamsprings are a little distracting to use now, as fun as they are.

I don't really have any particular attachment to MX switches, but they are ubiquitous. I bought an MX keyboard a few years ago, because they were commonly available. The level of customization of MX is what drew me into the 'keyboard community.'

I am not a partisan, and even enjoy well-built rubber-dome, and especially scissor-switch keyboards as well. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Currently, I have a Filco Majestouch 2 [using a mixture of Wyse DCS keycaps and some ePBT 9009 modifiers.] I also have a TeamWolf Zhuque with Kailh Pro Purples and some Speed Copper modifiers, which is surprisingly awesome. [Using Varmilo keycaps].

I am trying to figure out which switches to use for my first custom keyboard. I only have personal experience owning the fake KBDFans 'R11' Zealios switches, and 62 gr was too light. I remember testing 67 gr R1 Zealios at a keyboard meetup, and they were fun but distracting. The search continues.