Author Topic: Tipro 96 board with Teensy controler  (Read 627 times)

Offline AGmurdercore

Tipro 96 board with Teensy controler
« on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 09:10:01 »
Hey guys, recently I purchased a Tipro 96 board that unfortunately seems to be faulty as I can't get it to work. Since I planned on using this as a macro board/stream deck I was wondering if I can still use the PCB, plate, case and switches the way that they are and wire all of this to a Teensy controller? I have a Teensy laying around somewhere that I purchased for a board I never created so I was wondering if I can get this to work. Any tips and tricks are appreciated as I don't much have a clue how the Teensy works in terms of wiring and if I can get the 8x12 Tipro to work with this controller.

Let me know if PCB images will be helpful so that I can post some.

Offline nevin

Re: Tipro 96 board with Teensy controler
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 10:17:13 »
you ...might be able to use the traces in the pcb but you will have to figure out where the rows & colums are and will probably have to cut a number of traces on the pcb as well. on the other hand, you could certainly get rid of the pcb and just do a hand wire... up to you. there are a bunch of guides here and on deskthority for hand wiring.

and here's a jump on the firmware
Code: [Select]
[{a:7},"","","","","","","","","","","",""],
["","","","","","","","","","","",""],
["","","","","","","","","","","",""]

- go here https://kbfirmware.com/
- and paste the code above into the "paste layout here" box, then import. (it's a web configurator for QMK)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 01:29:34 »
you ...might be able to use the traces in the pcb but you will have to figure out where the rows & colums are and will probably have to cut a number of traces on the pcb as well. on the other hand, you could certainly get rid of the pcb and just do a hand wire... up to you. there are a bunch of guides here and on deskthority for hand wiring.

- and paste the code above into the "paste layout here" box, then import. (it's a web configurator for QMK)
Hm, thank you very much for that. Will I have enough pins on the Teensy to wire so many rows and columns though I wonder or I will have to do some kind of funky wiring to make this happen?

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 06:40:23 »
teensy 2.0 has 24 i/o pins. tipro layout is 8 rows + 12 columns = 20, so yes, you're good. will be very straight forward following one of the wiring guides.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 07:21:24 »
teensy 2.0 has 24 i/o pins. tipro layout is 8 rows + 12 columns = 20, so yes, you're good. will be very straight forward following one of the wiring guides.
That's great, thank you very much for clarifying this. I will probably do this in the next few weeks as I am really excited to get the board working one way or another.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 07:41:15 »

I played a little bit with this just to see how it runs and to get a better understanding of it and I have a few questions:
  • I want to use this board as replacement of Elgato stream deck so it will be for utility only
  • Do you have any idea if I can bind F keys above F12 to the buttons on the board and if I can do that how? (Sorry I didn't see the option for that)
  • The original Tipro had 4 lears, will I be able to assign some of the keys as toggles to have more than on layer on the board? If possible how?
  • If I am able to add the layering system that I am looking for will I will be able to add toggle LED indicators (like the once we have for num/caps lock)?

Sorry for the stream of questions and thank you so very much for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

Offline nevin

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:25:48 »
QMK is an open source firmware for keyboards. lots of info & flexibility if you want to dig into it. https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware
- F1-F24 are available as standard F-keys
- Layers - absolutely. you can easily add up to 16 layers
- LEDs - i'm sure you can, i've never messed with LEDs (other than to remove them from my 60%) but i've seen sticky toggles to indicate layer switching. and you should have enough extra pins on the teensy to do it.

do this for me.

use this link & adjust to what you'd like it to be (this is not the firmware, but a simple way to figure out what layout you want to program

you can see i already have 2 layers setup Fn1 & Fn2, built-in numberpad (easy with orholinear layouts) as well as your full 24 F-keys

just click on a key & relabel it whatever you want.

or start from scratch (link)

then i can help you replicate your layout in the firmware builder

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:41:02 »
QMK is an open source firmware for keyboards. lots of info & flexibility if you want to dig into it. https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware
- F1-F24 are available as standard F-keys
- Layers - absolutely. you can easily add up to 16 layers
- LEDs - i'm sure you can, i've never messed with LEDs (other than to remove them from my 60%) but i've seen sticky toggles to indicate layer switching. and you should have enough extra pins on the teensy to do it.

do this for me.

use this link & adjust to what you'd like it to be (this is not the firmware, but a simple way to figure out what layout you want to program

you can see i already have 2 layers setup Fn1 & Fn2, built-in numberpad (easy with orholinear layouts) as well as your full 24 F-keys

just click on a key & relabel it whatever you want.

or start from scratch (link)

then i can help you replicate your layout in the firmware builder
YOU ARE THE MAN! I will spend some time thinking what exactly I would need and draft the layout. Thank you so much for all the help on this!

Offline nevin

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:47:53 »
no prob.

i'll keep an eye on the thread.