Author Topic: Should the foam always be replaced on a model f?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline supamesican

Should the foam always be replaced on a model f?
« on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 07:33:50 »
Yeah that's something I've been wondering for a while. I've never replaced mine and it works well enough, but I want to make sure I take care of it right.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Should the foam always be replaced on a model f?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 08:22:08 »
Absolutely not.

I'd recommend only changing it if it's really necessary. 
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline supamesican

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:21:35 »
Awesome, thank you!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 18:12:54 »
Thomas is right.

That said, I have cracked open half a dozen each XTs and ATs, and probably 2 dozen 122-key terminals. The majority of XTs and ATs had good or acceptable foam, perhaps 2/3 to 3/4 of them, but 80%+ of the big boys had poor-to-utterly-disintegrated foam. I theorize that while XTs and ATs were consumer products kept indoors, terminals were corporate/industrial machines that were probably tossed into warehouses, at best, when decommissioned.

Having replaced foam often enough that I am proficient at it, I consider it de rigueur for a rehab, and only bypass it occasionally.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09