Author Topic: [IC] KAT Refined  (Read 36813 times)

Offline arrowM

Re: [IC] KAT Refined
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 22:13:02 »
This set has endgame potential for me. 100% in.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 01:44:22 »
Looks really nice! Definitely in on this.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 09:04:27 »
Looks really nice! Definitely in on this.

This set has endgame potential for me. 100% in.

Thank you guys! Big update coming after my vacay! Hope it will satisfy peoples needs in terms of kitting.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 11:52:56 »
Is there a chance for icon mods in the 40s/Ortho kits?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 12:02:26 »

Yes was actually planning to switch to icon instead.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 14:23:26 »

Yes was actually planning to switch to icon instead.

Amazing, thank you!

Offline Yilk81

« Reply #306 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 03:29:41 »
Very nice to have a set that's not about flashiness but rather about sheer quality. Love how you have gone into the tiny details to get it perfect. I'd love to have this set as my base set but I'm missing one thing unfortunately. I'm a newly converted colemak user and I'd like to have the right legends to get conversations started with open minded people.
I hope a Colevrak+ kit is an option 🤞

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 06:48:54 »
Interested cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perry4761

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 19:33:50 »
This set cannot go live soon enough! I'll probably snag quite a few kits from both WoB and BoW, I love how it fits on so many different boards.

Sidenote: I was told that light on dark was impossible when using dye-sublimation, unless you didn't care about totally muting/darkening the light color. Was I lied to or is there a risk that WoB might turn out kinda ugly?

Offline eskimojo

• Formerly eskimojo14
« Reply #309 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 19:45:59 »
Sidenote: I was told that light on dark was impossible when using dye-sublimation, unless you didn't care about totally muting/darkening the light color. Was I lied to or is there a risk that WoB might turn out kinda ugly?

Keyreative uses all-over dye sublimation, which involves dyeing the sides, as well as the top - the dark colour is dyed on top of the lighter colour.

Here's the samples I had for Lich:

You can see that all the colours other than the lightest purple are dyed on top of white.

Offline dvorcol

« Reply #310 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 00:12:54 »

Keyreative uses all-over dye sublimation, which involves dyeing the sides, as well as the top - the dark colour is dyed on top of the lighter colour.

Here's the samples I had for Lich:
Show Image
Show Image

You can see that all the colours other than the lightest purple are dyed on top of white.

Interesting.  I didn't realize most were molded white and dyed twice.  I was thinking the other three in your photo were molded yellow.  Then the 2008C legend was standard dye-sub, and the other two all-over dye-sub (yellow legends being non-dyed resin).

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 06:30:53 »
Interesting.  I didn't realize most were molded white and dyed twice.  I was thinking the other three in your photo were molded yellow.  Then the 2008C legend was standard dye-sub, and the other two all-over dye-sub (yellow legends being non-dyed resin).

I think it depends. The yellow-on-black novelties in KAM Starry Night, another Keyreative set, were produced the way you described.

Offline eskimojo

• Formerly eskimojo14
« Reply #312 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:02:45 »

I think it depends. The yellow-on-black novelties in KAM Starry Night, another Keyreative set, were produced the way you described.

Yeah, I enquired as to what was the deciding factor, but didn't get an answer. I wonder whether it's easier to achieve the correct purple on dyed yellow rather than actual yellow plastic? Not sure.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #313 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:25:38 »
Super nice! end game design for sure! The problem will be getting a set in the colour theme you want :)

Offline kidpid

« Reply #314 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:56:50 »
The one thing that I wish would change about KAT would be the stem height. I wish it were shorter so the caps would sit slightly below keyboards' side walls, like GMK caps do.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #315 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 10:34:11 »
Yeah, I enquired as to what was the deciding factor, but didn't get an answer. I wonder whether it's easier to achieve the correct purple on dyed yellow rather than actual yellow plastic? Not sure.

I think it's probably easier for them to get the desired color by dyeing white plastic. Only the shape of the legend is likely dyed yellow (i.e. there's probably little to no purple-on-yellow overlap).