Author Topic: Looking to spray paint my keyboard  (Read 2591 times)

Offline bexleycorona

Looking to spray paint my keyboard
« on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 22:24:25 »
I saw this combination a while ago and finally have time this week to spraypaint my keyboard.

I'm just not sure what is similar to the color. I'm thinking Rustoleum Champagne Mist?

Any advice is appreciated.

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

Offline Findecanor

Re: Looking to spray paint my keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 06:13:16 »
Metallic spray paint very seldom lives up to real metal. And there is of course risk of chipping.

I would just get the paint and try it on some test pieces to see if I like it, and how to apply it. Your own experience always beats someone else's.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 08:27:24 »
I have used that line and it works well, but I  * HATE *  those nozzle/handles.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 19:40:34 »
This is my first time spray painting so I made quite a few beginner's mistakes.

I ended up going with Pearl Mist rather than Champagne Mist because the latter kept reminding me of a smoker's teeth. I wanted something a bit lighter.

Initially I tried to paint the pearl mist over the original (sanded down) black plastic and realized as long as the base was black I would always end up with a gray color.

I was doing a great job at first but then got impatient and sprayed a bunch on at once. Then I got frustrated and started in the middle rather than at the side which made the middle thicker...

Went back to the store and picked up a primer + paint "heirloom white" Then 30 minutes later I went over it again with the metallic with better results. After 40 minutes later I started putting the keyboard together and realized I was leaving fingerprints on the keyboard. It had dried but not cured yet.... so I just made small fingerprints all over the keyboard in an attempt to make a textured pattern.

It's post op day #1 and the top still feels a little soft. I guess it will take a total of 1 week for it to fully cure.

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 20:21:08 »
ALWAYS  follow paint instructions precisely to the letter and   NEVER  take short cuts.

Also, I recommend not mixing brands or formulations, at least until after days or weeks of curing.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 20:36:54 »
A close up shot.

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 20:37:15 »
ALWAYS  follow paint instructions precisely to the letter and   NEVER  take short cuts.

Also, I recommend not mixing brands or formulations, at least until after days or weeks of curing.

I'm incompetent.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 05:00:54 »

These might help

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 07:06:03 »
I'm incompetent.
It's the mistakes that you learn from. ;)

I've done a few throughout the years: incompatible paints, too thick layers, not leaving to cure. ... And then spent hours sanding down and respraying.
But ... some paints are more forgiving than others. Do give it a few days before you decide if you should redo it or not.

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 22:43:19 »
If I am thinking of repainting the keyboard to go over the imperfections do I need to just sandpaper everything with emphasis of over the imperfections or go all the way down to the plastic again?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 08:06:45 »
You can probably just sand away the problems and scuff the rest of the surface. Primer might be a good idea, and a necessity if you are going to a significantly different paint brand or recipe.

Even spray paints can take days to truly cure, the longer you wait, the better.

"Several thin coats" is probably the best advice of all. Most spray paints usually say something like "re-coat within one hour or wait 24 hours" and in that scenario 3 thin coats 20 minutes apart will give you a very nice result.