Author Topic: Majestouch brown vs blue  (Read 3237 times)

Offline rawgue

Majestouch brown vs blue
« on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 08:51:59 »
My brother wants to buy a good tenkeyless kb and decided to go for majestouch. What's the difference between blue and brown cherry switches apart from the clicky sound? Might be used in an office with other people so the brown looks like the better choice (even though it sounds noisy too on youtube clips). First mechanical keyboard, mainly used for programming. Bit sceptical about spending ~100e on it but never heard of anyone say the difference won't be huge.

Offline itlnstln

Majestouch brown vs blue
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 08:56:20 »
The blue is a little more tactile that the browns, but really the biggest difference is the click.  I prefer the browns as I find the high-pitched click of the blues to be annoying, but I am certainly in the minority here.  Most people like the blues.

Offline itlnstln

Majestouch brown vs blue
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 08:56:57 »
Awesome simulpost.  I think we've been here too long, ripster.

Offline rawgue

Majestouch brown vs blue
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 09:00:48 »
Yea we looked at all the switches and cherry seems like the safer choice, at least on paper.

Offline rawgue

Majestouch brown vs blue
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 09:15:09 »
Double post $

Would you say that the sound difference in these videos is accurate? Cause the volume sounds the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzawBbhEUA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KN3CqPw9PA

One of the few (only?) videos recorded by the same guy under same conditions

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Majestouch brown vs blue
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 09:34:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;187651
Awesome simulpost.  I think we've been here too long, ripster.

I think that over a period of thousands of years, the forum will evolve to develop a limited form of sentience and tell people which sort of Filco they should buy.

Offline Arc'xer

Majestouch brown vs blue
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 11:56:36 »
Quote from: rawgue;187658
Double post $

Would you say that the sound difference in these videos is accurate? Cause the volume sounds the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzawBbhEUA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KN3CqPw9PA

One of the few (only?) videos recorded by the same guy under same conditions

No it's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCEuqNvJ2Cs&fmt=18

This one is probably the most accurate replication of the blues in a natural sound. Do note the sound is louder due to the wooden desk but for the most part aside from the heavy bottoming out, this one seems to be the most accurate.

Most of the other videos either have poor quality audio equipment either in microphone, sound card, and or some sort of audio processing. The end result is either much different than expected or grossly inaccurate.

This video of mx brown's are a good example of elevation of normal sounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9OS0gc3iOE&fmt=18 Yeah all mechanical keyboards are slightly louder than membrane dome and or rubber dome like in Topre, keytronic, or other high quality dome type. But the videos glorify the noise and continue the whole notion of mechanical keyboard = 1980's old technology that makes too much noise, when most people don't realize there are more quieter switches, it's not just click or clack.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 May 2010, 11:59:07 by Arc'xer »

Offline thrab

Majestouch brown vs blue
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 01:44:12 »
Most of the sound you hear when people are using the browns is bottoming out. You may or may not type this way with a real keyboard (mechanical). You just don't need to go down further once you feel the click. I started with the blues first because they have a good feeling of clickiness and also the sound. I eventually came to love the browns after a while. A little lighter but you get used to them. Also, not having your fellow cube dwellers hate you for your clicking noises make the browns a good investment. The sound difference isn't so much in decibels but in weirdness. Most people aren't used to hearing that click so even if you bottom out hard on the browns it is a sound people are used to. That click from the blue keyswitch is not. Another plus side of the browns are less fatigue since you're using less force to type.

Edit: Majestouch Tenkeyless are really nice for programming. I have two. One for the office, one for home. It is a smaller keyboard that retains dedicated keys for home/end/left/right/etc. Also has the "right click" button on the bottom row. Many smaller boards do not. My only complaint is maybe the control keys are a little small and we don't need two windows buttons.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 May 2010, 01:55:47 by thrab »

Offline SpatiallyAware

Majestouch brown vs blue
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 07:25:46 »
Personally, if I had to only pick one I'd go with the browns (keep in mind I've only tried the blues and blacks, but I feel as though I have a pretty good idea of what the browns will feel/sound like)

The blues are loud.  Too loud for use in a cubicle, even in my office I get the 'crazy look' when someone passes by.  The 'click' sound travels very far imo.  From what I've read the PCB mounted (Filco are plate mounted) are a bit more muffled, but as far as the Filco goes - imo the blues are only acceptable if you're not at all worried about annoying anyone.

Also I personally don't like the blues for gaming, but this is personal preference.

All of that being said, the blues are awesome for typing.  I've read it regarded as the 'funnest' switch and I'd say that's probably fairly accurate.

But... from your post you're worried about noise, so go browns.