Author Topic: Programmable Keypads  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Guardian

Programmable Keypads
« on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 12:57:29 »
Just wondering why programmable keypads are so durned expensive.

I've found two suppliers for them, being X-keys and Fentek Industries. Neither of them have products for much under AU$100. Can only 20 keys (and, admittedly, a controller board that I have no idea about) cost that much to produce?

Also, are there any other programmable type keypad sellers around?

(P.S. I'd like to introduce myself to geekhack. I'm currently living in eastern Australia, I'm a truck driver with a penchant for tech and I've been lurking here for the past fortnight or so. I've learnt heaps about keyboards. Thanks!)
Keyboards:
Elbowglue SPOS (Cherry Black)
SIIG Minitouch (ALPS White)
Compaq MX11800 (Cherry Browns)

Offline Guardian

Programmable Keypads
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 13:20:59 »
G'day cobber 'n' how they hangin'? Can't wait to get home and pop a few coldies out the esky. Well don't stand there lookin' like a stunned mullet!

Australian enough for you? You must have spent your time on the eastern coast. The further west you go in Australia, the slower and more drawly they get.

(I'm gonna have fun ribbing you americans ;))

P.S. So there's pretty much no such thing as a cheap programmable keyboard?
Is it possible to plug in a second keyboard and remap that one, or is that just asking for trouble...

P.P.S. I've never heard of Outback Steakhouse, and I'm pretty sure that's a kiwi, not an aussie...
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 May 2010, 13:26:35 by Guardian »
Keyboards:
Elbowglue SPOS (Cherry Black)
SIIG Minitouch (ALPS White)
Compaq MX11800 (Cherry Browns)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Programmable Keypads
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 16:34:49 »

Offline didjamatic

Programmable Keypads
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 22:51:47 »
I bought the blue cherry MX Tekgadget KP-701 thinking it was programmable (the site said it was) but it's not really.  Though it's a great numpad, I'd prefer to change the locations of the top 2 rows of keys and you can't rearrange those.

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4