Author Topic: Custom Keyboard~  (Read 9498 times)

Offline Thomas543

• http://kbtalking.cool3c.com
Custom Keyboard~
« on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 20:54:18 »
If you can make a keyboard of your own, what it should like? what fancy function it should have?

I am asking these questions because a friend of mine produce some custom keyboards in Taiwan and we would like to hear any opinions from people in the United States about their "ideal" keyboard should be. He is making some fancy keyboards such as keyboard with glittering. Now we cooperated with some manufacturer and try to design a new phototype of custom keyboards for America. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Offline Morning Song

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 21:30:33 »
I agree with the programmable keys!  But i would also advocate for a bank of programmable macro/multimedia keys separate from the regular keys (i.e. not Fn-modified), but still mechanically switched and with standard keycaps :D

And i think you would make a lot of people here happy if it had an optional and/or detachable numpad.
Clicky keyboards and big trackballs forever!

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
Cherry: Filco Majestouch 105 Blue NKRO w/ doubleshots
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:
Kensington Expert Mouse 7, Wacom Intuos3 6x8 w/ classic pen

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline kriminal

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 22:16:44 »
Quote from: ripster;188102
Welcome to Geekhack.

Make a PFU Happy Hacking Keyboard clone using Cherry Blue switches.  Add some arrow keys (see the Japanese HHKB).  Get rid of the DIP switches but make all keys programmable and settings stored in NVRAM.

That's it!  I'm easy to please.  Although if you want to get fancy make the keys and case all out of sandblasted aluminum.

this

though imho i dont really need the arrow keys, and as long as the cable is detachable..
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline didjamatic

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 22:46:27 »
Yes, this WITH ARROW KEYS:
Quote from: ripster;188102
Make a PFU Happy Hacking Keyboard clone using Cherry Blue switches.  Add some arrow keys (see the Japanese HHKB).  Get rid of the DIP switches but make all keys programmable and settings stored in NVRAM.  That's it!.

Welcome to Geekhack.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Manyak

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 23:41:15 »
- Full size 104 keys, Cherry Blues
- Double Shot Molded Black ABS keycaps with a white Helvetica font
- nubile nubian nipple nubs in the center of the the F and J keys, not the raised bar near the bottom
- Left of the keyboard would be a round gaming cluster that you can rotate and lock into place at the angle you want (see Wolfking keyboards for a general idea), with Cherry Reds for switches
- The gaming cluster would use TG3/Deck style backlit keys (double shot and inverse dyesub), but with graphics and a font that are nicer than either
- All keys would be fully hardware programmable and remappable, Gateway Anykey style
- Both PS/2 and USB. The cable would be detachable, and the connector on the board would be USB Type B (the same as on printers)
- Powered USB 3.0 Hub, with a separate detachable cable
- 1.0mm thick brushed alumunim casing, anodized black
- sound dampening foam within the casing to eliminate resonance
- Feet would also be made of black anodized aluminum (with rubber at the ends of course), but instead of being put on the case with stupid tabs that break (or bend, since it's aluminum) easily they'd be connected with stiff hinges similar to those on a laptop. The other option would be to use ball bearings, and then lock them into place with a strut. I haven't decided which I like more.
- Trackpoint with two regular buttons at the bottom of the board and a tilt scroll wheel in between them

I think that about covers it
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 May 2010, 23:46:02 by Manyak »
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 01:17:48 »
A bigger Model M. 50 more keys, loud buckling springs that make infants cry, a draftsman style font, 10 lbs, slide out tray that holds Polo Black cologne samples, gun rack and also those crazy vertical function keys. I want those keys to sound like a shotgun going off each time a feather lands on one. Industrial orange keys replacing the standard gray ones.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 May 2010, 01:22:07 by Pixel_Outlaw »
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 01:25:17 »
Quote from: Pixel_Outlaw;188146
A bigger Model M. 50 more keys, loud buckling springs that make infants cry, a draftsman style font, 10 lbs, slide out tray that holds Polo Black cologne samples, gun rack and also those crazy vertical function keys. I want those keys to sound like a shotgun going off each time a feather lands on one. Industrial orange keys replacing the standard gray ones.

Now that sounds like a good idea.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline bitflipper

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 01:33:43 »
Quote from: Pixel_Outlaw;188146

I just figured out who you are Pixel_Outlaw - you're Ron Popeil.

I'll take two.

Offline Infinite north

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 03:27:05 »
I want a flask hidden within the body because I don't already have enough booze hidden around my desk. also a disco laser light show instead of LEDs. I think a built in sound system would be awesome too, subwoofer and all. the more difficult it makes it to type the better.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 03:39:46 »
Give me an M13...

...with beam spring switches.

Put a better trackpoint on it too.

Offline Thomas543

Thanks everyone~
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 13:50:02 »
Hi everyone,
   Thanks for your opinions. I try to summerize them and discuss with my friend. I will post some of our reactions later.

By the way, does anyone can provide some other popular keyboard discussion boards other than geekhack? I know geekhack is awesome but I would like to discuss this topic with more people and groups. Thank you.

Offline kriminal

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 13:56:37 »
Quote from: ripster;188266
You can post at OCN - peripherals section.

Be prepared for LOTS of requests for LEDs.   I suggest boosting the voltage to 110 AC.

hahahaa
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Findecanor

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 16:11:45 »
I hope that I am not posting too late ...

I generally stay away from any product that has "fancy functions". I think that a keyboard should act as a keyboard, and do it well. I think that you should concentrate on good engineering, and good usability engineering at that!
Innovative features that improve usability would give you more positive attention in the press than flash.

I admire keyboards that have the space-saving layout where there are no separate cursor keys and the numeric keypad is overlayed with an inverted-T layout in cursor mode -- the same cursor key layout that most people are used to. Yes, this means that the '0' key is small.
If the keyboard has chiclet keys, then the unused keys (1,4,5,6,3) could be sunk to be flush to the base during cursor mode. If there is backlighting, the inactive keys could have their lights switched off.

If you do select to make chiclet keys, please make sure to do it right:
 - Enough space in-between the keys. Rounded corners help.
 - Textured key surface for good friction
 - Concave key tops are also important for feel
 - There is no point of having chiclet keys without scissor switches.
 - Scissor switches are sensitive to dirt and grime. Make sure to have a proper "skirt" on each keycap to minimize the gaps where dirt can enter under the key into the switch mechanism. (I believe that this was the major reason why Apple chose to use chiclet keys)

I am also a fan of the Caps Lock key of old Apple and Commodore computers that was an actual toggle switch that stayed pressed until it was released. Then you could actually feel which mode the keyboard was in, and you wouldn't have to look.
This could be a bit difficult to engineer with the current PC standards, though, as the key's state is controlled by the host computer and not by the keyboard.

Myself, I have my Caps Lock key mapped to Ctrl and I never use the numeric keypad.
I would like my next keyboard to have an integrated USB hub, so that I don't have to reach under my desk whenever I want to (dis)connect a USB stick or camera.
As a general rule, I stay away from any product that has "multimedia keys", translucent plastic or my nemesis: the blue LED. There are nights, when I break into computer stores, steal everything that has any pulsating, irritating blue LED in it and then burn them in a ceremonial bonfire in a clearing deep inside the forest ... or maybe not. Only you can prevent forest fires ...
🍉

Offline kriminal

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 16:32:08 »
ERR so im guessing you want your KBD to be a leet chiclet board?
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 16:56:11 »
Well to be more reasonable, I would prefer a buckling spring keyboard that has a nice two or three color layout. I'm a bit tired of these all black keyboards and also I don't really care for all white ones either. On the other extreme some of the keyboards I've seen here look like a clown's trousers exploded. I miss simple but tasteful 2 or 3 color combination, with special attention to the function keys. Nothing neon or heavy just some beige and a second muted color. I also really like the look of those keys with the little cut away for a light inside. Also, I prefer a more functional industrial look rather than the whole Logitech curvey/rubbery trend.
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 20:09:00 »
Quote from: ripster;188330
Oh wait.  That's not funny.
Show Image

Everything is more funny with clowns. That child was using a rubber dome before the clown picked her up.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Findecanor

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 05:37:43 »
Quote from: kriminal;188317
ERR so im guessing you want your KBD to be a leet chiclet board?

I have tried a bunch of very different chiclet keyboards at work, so I know of a few things that do not work.
I wish that it was possible to have a proper keyboard with a full 4 mm key travel, good feel and cliclet-like spacing in-between keys (if only to make it easier to clean), but I think that would be too much of an engineering challenge to make it right so I doubt that we'll see it.

Six months ago, my workplace was broken into, my old trusty Thinkpad was stolen and I was handed a replacement HP ProBook with chiclet keys. The first thing I did when I saw it was to shout "No Way In Hell!". I have typed on it for less than a day. The rest of the time, I have been using a proper external keyboard. So, no, I am not a chiclet fan.
🍉

Offline British

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 07:20:54 »
Quote from: Thomas543;188097
we would like to hear any opinions from people in the United States about their "ideal" keyboard

That's geographical discrimination !

I'll still voice my concern, since I feel like being a rebel today...

So what I'm after for a keyboard nowadays is... plain old 105 keys (ISO, IIRC) layout with those elusive red MX switches.

Offline J888www

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 08:45:34 »
Quote from: British;188451
That's geographical discrimination !

So what I'm after for a keyboard nowadays is... plain old 105 keys (ISO, IIRC) layout with those elusive red MX switches.

If he chooses to only value opinions from the US, that's his freedom of choice, as we are all going to get 'Little Red Caps', we are all going to become equal.

Those elusive MX Red switches are no longer elusive, over time, they'll become very common. ATM, you can find them on Taobao and can be easily purchased through a Taobao Agent. To purchase or not to purchase depends on your financial to desire ratio.

Note the thickness of the Key-caps, they should be PBT and they feel more solid than the standard Cherry key-caps.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline British

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 09:11:08 »
Of course he has his freedom of choice, the same way I used my freedom of speech :smile:
Though I was just *****ing for the sake of *****ing, so no big deal.

Regarding the G80-3494, that's one I had already noticed, but I don't speak or read any asian language (and don't even know what a Taobao Agent might be), and that's an ANSI layout, not ISO :sad:
Also, I'm afraid I'm too noobish to know about PBT... which I could do some research on, though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2010, 09:25:12 by British »

Offline J888www

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 09:37:04 »
Quote from: British;188459
Of course he has his freedom of choice, the same way I used my freedom of speech :smile:

but I don't speak or read any asian language (and don't even know what a Taobao Agent might be)

TY, you have just confirmed we are all becoming more equal. Long live the social republic of GH. :biggrin:

Google Chrome browser has an embedded translator which pops up to offer options, more convenient than to install a standalone translator.

Taobao Agents are companys which helps others outside the Orient to make purchases for service charges.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2010, 09:47:32 by J888www »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Ideal keyboard
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 14:08:22 »
Dimensions/Looks/Build: 104 Filco Majestouch (simple, functional, elegant... I love it)
Material: Black ceramic (SiC?) -> wont wear, doesn't feel cold like aluminum etc.
Keycaps: Blank or engraved, optional white ceramic (AlO?) replacement keys
Other: Adjustable RGB LEDs, sleeved cable, keypad programmable

Offline Thomas543

Sorry for people not living in US
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 11:13:09 »
Because we are going to sell our custom keyboard in United States, that's why we limited our opinions primarily on the US. Sorry so far we don't have the people can help us to sell our keyboards on a lot of countries, but we appreciate every opinions which can let our products better. Feel free to share your opinions~

Offline Brian8bit

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 11:49:19 »
Filco ten keyless in UK layout with a black brushed aluminium chassis and Cherry MX red switches. Would go lovely with a nice Lian Li chassis.

Offline Brian8bit

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 12:29:53 »

BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 17:57:51 »
I love Cherry  browns, but you'd probably want to do a variety of switch options (at least blue too).

NKRO, and I wouldn't be opposed to media controls myself (just play/pause, rew/ff, volume down, up, and mute). The media controls thing seems minor but it's a big turnoff for a lot of people. I know at least one person who won't use an app like AutoHotKey to make shortcuts for such controls and won't buy a mechanical until one has them.

Removable PS/2 and USB cables would also be a major plus.
A few extra function keys would appeal to the gaming crowd for macros.

I'd like laser engraved PBT caps myself.

Offline kriminal

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 18:22:27 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;188499
Dimensions/Looks/Build: 104 Filco Majestouch (simple, functional, elegant... I love it)
Material: Black ceramic (SiC?) -> wont wear, doesn't feel cold like aluminum etc.
Keycaps: Blank or engraved, optional white ceramic (AlO?) replacement keys
Other: Adjustable RGB LEDs, sleeved cable, keypad programmable

im liking this with the ceramic caps, was thinking of a ceramic\porcelian cap and how that would feel...
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline J888www

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 19:44:56 »
Quote from: British;188459
but I don't speak or read any asian language

Search "Taobao" within ebay. The search results will help you to purchase from Taobao. It provides information of procedure and costs.

Offline British

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 03:43:44 »
Quote from: J888www;188776
Search "Taobao" within ebay. The search results will help you to purchase from Taobao. It provides information of procedure and costs.

Such as iBuygle ?
But then it's a bit hard to know what to look for in a vendor, even through a translater.

That's kinda off-topic though :whistle:

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 07:13:15 »
Quote from: ripster;188773
May sound better than it works.....
Show Image

Well, the same can happen with steel...

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">[/youtube]

Simply don't throw your board around or smash it on the desk! :P

Offline Brodie337

Custom Keyboard~
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 07:28:24 »
I'd really love to see a SIIG minitouch(ish) layout, with the ` and \ keys in the right places, using a switch like a Cherry Brown, with rubber dampening like on my Filco. Give it a screw-off heavy steel base and make it out of either black anodized brushed aluminium or some seriously industrial plastic. What about glass coated keycaps? Like the MacBook trackpad?