Author Topic: Q about IBM Model M / USB  (Read 2534 times)

Offline napalm

Q about IBM Model M / USB
« on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 13:38:27 »
Hello!
I've been looking after a IBM Model M with a Swedish keymap /  layout but haven't got any luck - I'm wondering if anyone here who knows some site or someone who got a IBM Model M with Swedish keymap / layout for sale.

I've been thinking of convert a PS/2 into a USB but only using soldering as my tool. Although i haven't got any luck finding a guide or a sketch of a PS/2 to USB. So my question is is it even possible doing it? If is there anyone here that have tested / done it?

/Thank in advances

Offline kriminal

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 13:42:10 »
i think ripster did a usb mod on a model m mini.. im not sure..

but ripster will post in t minus 10
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 14:37:36 »
Hello there fellow swede! I have noticed that most European keyboards and the French-Canadian have the same layout as the Swedish/Finnish keyboards. The real keymap is implemented in the operating system - not in the keyboard. For instance, the 'ü' key on a German keyboard, in the same position as the Swedish 'å' key will yield a 'å' if the computer is set to use a Swedish keymap.

PS/2 and USB have very different signals, so you can't simply solder a USB port to the controller board. You can buy a converter in almost every computer store, but the quality varies. There is a section with reviews of several PS/2-USB converters on the forum so that you can get yourself a good one.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 May 2010, 14:42:52 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline napalm

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 19:21:06 »
OT:
Thanks for the answers, links, tips and for welcoming me! :-)

ONT:
@ripster, since i'm no Keyboard expert, from what i have seen from the link - Was the input of that keyboard already there or did you solder it there?

@Findecanor, Hello there! So in other words you could "just" do a own control chip / solder one into the cable and then solder a USB cable?
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 May 2010, 19:23:35 by napalm »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 May 2010, 21:58:20 »
Buy a new Model M with USB from Unicomp with the appropriate layout.  

if shipping is overpriced (are you actually in Sweden), let me know.  I'd be more than happy to purchase the keyboard for you and then ship it to you at a more reasonable rate.  (I've done this for several international geekhack members)

Offline low-fi

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 00:51:08 »
Quote from: ripster;188260
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have you tried the Unicomp website to see if they have that layout?

They're happy to make one on request. They sold me a nice Finnish/Swedish-layout Unicomp Spacesaver about two years ago.