Author Topic: Keyboard rec for a writer  (Read 2624 times)

Offline grapefruit

Keyboard rec for a writer
« on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 17:04:02 »
I'm a writer, and I need a keyboard recommendation.

Right now I have a Coolermaster keyboard with Cherry MX Blues and am not a fan. It feels like I never quite know how much effort I need to put in to press the keys; I'm always putting in too little or too much. I've used it for years, and it still feels awkward.

I'm a faster and more accurate typist, frankly, on the keyboard on my 2015 Macbook Pro.

As far as the sound of the Coolermaster, it's fine. Not amazing, but ok.

I remember having enjoyed buckling spring keyboards 20 years ago... probably some IBM variant. I enjoyed it, but I don't want that again. I think the keys may have been a little too loud and high-pitched.

I'd like something with satisfying 'thunk,' and that would be easy to press and keep my accuracy as a typist.

Also, arrow keys are a MUST. EDIT: I also need home, end, and page-up/page-down keys.

Any specific brand/model recommendations? I don't want to really modify keyboards and such. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2019, 18:56:30 by grapefruit »

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
Re: Keyboard rec for a writer
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 17:09:00 »
perhaps matias quiet click like the Tactile Pro or KBP v80 if you are not looking to go full custom

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 17:22:54 »
Leopold fc660c. It's pretty quiet, has a nice 'thunk' and has an arrow cluster.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 17:31:57 »

^^^ even better

Offline grapefruit

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 18:56:07 »

Whoops. I also realized that I DO use home/end and page-up/page-down keys too! Shoot. Amended my OP.

Is there a version of this that has those, or else a good alternative?
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2019, 18:58:33 by grapefruit »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 18:58:21 »
Realforce. Between writing books and motions and all kinds of correspondence, I have used the Realforce almost every day. It is as solid a stock board as you can get.

Offline grapefruit

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 19:01:51 »
Realforce. Between writing books and motions and all kinds of correspondence, I have used the Realforce almost every day. It is as solid a stock board as you can get.

Awesome. Which model precisely do I want? And what's the best place to buy it do you think -- Amazon? Or is it cheaper on Ebay, etc.?

Offline tydlwav

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 20:33:34 »
You could get something like a CTRL or Hexgears Dusk/Dawn. The "force and feel" of the keyboard is mostly governed by the switches. Since these are hot-swappable TKL boards, you can experiment with switches you like. I've never used a buckling spring IBM keyboard, but according to the force curves, you'd probably enjoy something like box jade. Switch preference is highly personal, so I recommend you find some kind of a meetup and try out some different switches. Keycaps have a lot to do with the sound they make. For a satisfying thump, you should look for a thicker SA profile or other high profile keycaps.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 23:36:23 »

Awesome. Which model precisely do I want? And what's the best place to buy it do you think -- Amazon? Or is it cheaper on Ebay, etc.?

I got mine from Massdrop four years or so ago. I think there's an official Amazon seller, but plenty people get them through SmartImports:
http://www.smartimports.net/realforce-tkl-2-r2tls-us5-bk-tenkeyless-keyboard/.

The one I'm linking is the new version of the same board I have. The differences are the shape of the case and the fact that the switches are silenced (which I really want).

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 09:33:36 »
You're lucky. You can skip all the hassle of trying Cherry MX tactiles, and go straight to Topre.

The new Realforce R2 comes in TKL and full-size, and is shaped more like a modern keyboard than the R1.

You can get it in 'thocky' 45 gr and super-thocky 55 gr actuation.

Or you can get 45 gr silenced, but that is super-expensive, and less 'thocky.'

--

Honestly, though, for someone in your position, I once got them a Varmilo VA87m TKL with MX Browns. Browns are quieter than MX Blue, and should feel consistent. But they aren't very thocky or thunky.

In my opinion, if you are looking for 'thunky' and 'easy to press,' get a Realforce R2 in 45 gr (non-silenced).

Offline rf86u

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 22:32:05 »
writer, typer==topre user
gamer == mechanical switch user

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 02:16:51 »
writer, typer==topre user
gamer == mechanical switch user
i do not agree at all with that statement, as a programmer (so i write quite a bit on a computer) i use a model M to type, and they are pretty much the worse thing for gaming although mechanical, and when on the move i to use a 60% with silent reds and it is also very nice to type on, much nicer than the laptop keyboard. although i am a very slightly faster typer on the less comfortable laptop keyboard, i am not fast in any way but it goes from 185 cpm on the mechs to 193 on the laptop, and for gaming i'd rather use the laptop keyboard, the very short travel make it easier i find. (although my laptop is a 10 years old HP, they had actually decent keyboards, i would not say the same of more recent Dell that i had the misfortune to try at work).

to go back to the subject, i saw 2 main schools when it comes to mechanical typist, the Model F/M school and the linear school. then depending on your definition of mechanical there is the topre school but those are rather expensive, as are the F. and from my experience browns are to be all together ignored for typing
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 14:40:00 »
Topre 55g <-- would recommend
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 17:43:44 »
Another vote for a Realforce.

If you use "proper" typing form you might consider the variable which has lighter keys for your pinky/ring fingers.  You get used to it very quickly and your fingers will thank you for it. 

I'd definitely NOT consider variable if you plan on using the keyboard for gaming...but if it is for pure typing I don't think there's a better choice out there.

A uniform Topre might be a better choice if you want to game with it.  55g is if you want a much more distinct "pop" of the the dome when you type.  While it does have a number of fans, I would think if you're typing a lot, you don't need or want the extra strain on your fingers required by 55g.