Author Topic: Filco brown cherry first impression  (Read 1762 times)

Offline asfogh

Filco brown cherry first impression
« on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 11:38:25 »
Picked up a black otaku tenkeyless filco w/ brown cherries. Just arrived about twenty minutes ago.

As I mentioned in another thread seeking help, I'd used Keytronics (lifetime classic and lifetime designer) all through adolescence, graduated to a das keyboard 1, then a 2 (gave it away and went back down to a 1), then a 3 (spilled tea in the 1).

I look forward to trying out topres or cherry blacks or reds in the future, but for now I'm totally happy and satisfied. Browns are much more quiet, a pleasure to type on, and the tenkeyless design is great. Thanks again!

PS: now where do I buy some rad blank keycaps? :)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 11:47:28 »
Nice purchase.  I'm really fond of the filco on my desk.  

I got some blank keycaps from keyboardco - they're in the UK and better yet, have their own vendor forum here on geekhack.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 12:50:35 »
Quote from: asfogh;188482
Picked up a black otaku tenkeyless filco w/ brown cherries. Just arrived about twenty minutes ago.

As I mentioned in another thread seeking help, I'd used Keytronics (lifetime classic and lifetime designer) all through adolescence, graduated to a das keyboard 1, then a 2 (gave it away and went back down to a 1), then a 3 (spilled tea in the 1).

I look forward to trying out topres or cherry blacks or reds in the future, but for now I'm totally happy and satisfied. Browns are much more quiet, a pleasure to type on, and the tenkeyless design is great. Thanks again!

PS: now where do I buy some rad blank keycaps? :)

I wouldn't go for the blacks, they're not all that great for typing. On the other hand, given that you liked the Keytronics and the Das 1 (a rebranded Keytronic) I'd say that you'd like the Topres a lot.

Offline asfogh

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 15:36:29 »
Quote from: ripster;188484
Congrats on the Filco Brown Tenkeyless!

The blanks are available at Elitekeyboards. Complete review and key changing instructions here.

Blanks are fun but ya gotta be prepared to really learn the diacritics!
Show Image

im all set with those. ive been using blank keyboards for quite some time. the only trouble i have is some typing one handed.

i actually picked up the otaku tenkeyless so im all set on blank black keys, i was hoping to find some funky colored blank keys or with pictures that would fit the cherry switches. ATM, i'm thinking of filling the zxc and qwe rows yellow, and leaving the rest black but i'd be open to any other funky options.

ps: tenkeyless rocks. i actually could use a numpad, so i got a numpad too and keep it on the left. also, after using these browns for a bit, i'm not sure i'm interested in sampling (or at least paying for the privilege) blacks or reds. browns seem great