Author Topic: Idiots guide to keyboard maintenence  (Read 2388 times)

Offline asfogh

Idiots guide to keyboard maintenence
« on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 21:23:24 »
Having mentioned in the other thread I'm the proud owner of a new FILCO, I was curious if there were any pro tips on keyboard upkeep. Do you guys peel the keys off regularly and vacuum the tray? Keep a roof over the keyboard when not in use? Soak or wipe down the keys?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 23:23:02 »
Quote from: ripster;188608
I don't bother with compressed air or anything.  Might cause more harm than good since Cherry MXs can be sensitive to contamination.

Have you had problems with compressed air getting breadcrumbs into the switches?

I usually just do the shake like hell method too, but I do it probably once a week and sometimes more. Occasionally I use compressed air, but I hold the keyboard upside down with one hand and aim the canister at an angle toward the keys so that I'm not blasting most of the keyboard full force. Usually that gets out the remaining specks that didn't come tumbling out with shaking.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 00:23:47 »
Someone pointed out that when you turn the keyboard upside down and shake, dust etc. can fall into the hollows of the keycaps. When you turn it right side up, that dust can fall into the switch mechanism. It's hard to say if the risk outweighs the benefits, but I generally avoid doing it now. I seem to get very little build-up anyway, so I can get away with a proper cleaning every 3 to 6 months.

Prevention is better than cure, so I use a soft brush to flick dust off my keyboard when I notice it. If I notice grease building up on the sides of the keys I wipe it off carefully with a cloth so it doesn't fall in.

A spill-proof coffee cup is a must for me. I drink it constantly, so the odds are against me if I don't eliminate the risk, LOL.

I have mini attachments for a vacuum cleaner that I could use to clean keyboards, but it would be overkill (and I hate the noise.) USB vacuums on the other hand seem like silly toys. One day I'll find a sensible compact vacuum for the job.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 02:01:31 »
I normally use a vacuum cleaner to clean the keys at least the external section. Usually I hit Win+L to lock the computer than pass the camel hair brush over it pressing into the keys, should turn the hose connection around on the other side to activate the blower and push out the remainder.

I notice it removes the oils from the keys as well so they turn into the darkened Otaku filcos people post photos of. But after a few hours it turns back to shiny.

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 08:38:21 »
Quote from: Rajagra;188639
Someone pointed out that when you turn the keyboard upside down and shake, dust etc. can fall into the hollows of the keycaps. When you turn it right side up, that dust can fall into the switch mechanism.

I think that's a valid concern, I don't do that with my mechanical boards.

I vacuum-clean my keyboard and PC vents once in a while and go over the keys with a wet microfiber cloth. Once a year I open it up to fish out cigarette butts, crown corks and the other stuff the vacuum cleaner missed.
Typing on blues.

Offline Guardian

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 09:28:22 »
I've never cleaned my keyboards (Until now, they've all been rubber domes), but I'd reckon a good idea would be to rip off all the keycaps and then get into it with an air compressor at about 15 - 20 psi, nice and gentle. Or, get a dinky can of compressed air, that'll do the job.

Makes my computer insides look all nice and shiny and new though.
Keyboards:
Elbowglue SPOS (Cherry Black)
SIIG Minitouch (ALPS White)
Compaq MX11800 (Cherry Browns)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 10:11:35 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;188628
Have you had problems with compressed air getting breadcrumbs into the switches?

A single hair once got in through the gap at the bottom of a switch on my Filco and made it linear...

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 10:28:16 »
- Compressed air to remove the dust and crumbs
- Micro fiber cloth + soapy water to remove grease

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 03:40:40 »
I just clean stuff off with an unused household paintbrush when I notice it. I've not stripped my M13 yet, but apart from the odd "new board" hiatus that is usually fairly brief, I've used it since September, and not needed to strip it for a thourough clean. If I spot board chow through the keys, then it get's done though. I did it with my M's every year on average, and I was a lot less careful around them.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
: