Author Topic: Need a tad more space between keys  (Read 1611 times)

Offline AngryRedGold

Need a tad more space between keys
« on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 21:45:49 »
Howdy,

I'm a new passenger on the mechanical keyboard bandwagon. My tester board is the perfectly serviceable I-Rocks Kr-6230. The sound and the feel of this keyboard is just fine and I am mostly enjoying typing on it. However, its not quite right.

First, as most of you probably know, it's a compact board that made some interesting compromises. The backspace button is tiny, and the arrow keys are jammed underneath the right shift key.

I'm a fairly clumsy typist... so I'm sure you can see what's going on for me. I have a hard time hitting the backspace key consistently, and I keep hitting the friggin up arrow when I'm capitalizing letters with the right shift key.

What's more, the keys are closer together than on my gaming behemoth (my Logitech G-15). My hands are small, but they still feel a little squished when typing on the I-Rocks.

I want a narrow-width board, but I'd rather have luxurious space between the keys. It's obvious that alternative layouts don't work terribly well for me.

To that end, I'm thinking about getting a Tenkeyless Filco. Anyone know if their keys are as tightly packed as the I-rocks?

Any other board suggestions that I should consider?
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 June 2010, 21:49:12 by AngryRedGold »

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 22:29:27 »
If you really want more widely spaced keys, there's always the Optimus Maximus- it's keys are spaced 20.2 mm vs the standard 18.2-19.05 mm spacing.  Plus they light up!

Offline audioave10

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 22:54:13 »
My problem is similar but because of fat fingers. I've noticed on my older Keytronic and maybe a little on the IBM Model M, that the keys may be the same (center to center) but the top of the keys might be a little smaller which gives a little more space between them at the top of the key. This added space, which is not much, makes me less likely to bump other keys enough to strike them. I was a little more accurate with those compared to the Logitech Illuminated with its flat keys right up next to each other. Hope that makes sense.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline audioave10

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 23:13:41 »
What suprised me was the total lack of wobble in the Key Tronic keys as they are about as solid as they can be. However, they still bottom out which you would not like. But I like that little bit of extra space inbetween them.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline AngryRedGold

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 01:07:18 »
Thanks everyone. That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.