Author Topic: Special hardware to add keys to the computer?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Special hardware to add keys to the computer?
« on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 15:23:53 »
I was just wondering if there is any hardware that can add additional keys to a computer. This ideally would be something like a number pad with more keys that register differently than the attached keyboard would. I would like to set up a dedicated function key press device besides my keyboard. I know that there is key mapping software but I would just like another whole control panel. USB connection would be ideal.

Any help or ideas? Like I said, I really just don't want to map new keys and use software to make my keyboard do double duty. I guess the device would need to not send the same keycodes as the keyboard...
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline JBert

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 16:50:07 »
Technically, any device which has its own driver and software could do this by programming their own USB protocol. Heck, they could even reuse the hardware and keyboard protocol. They would just need to change the device type ids and get a custom driver which is based on the keyboard one.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 17:35:08 »
There are quite a few game pads/num pads/POS keyboards that can be programmed then work without the need to keep software on the computer. E.g.
  • Belkin Nostromo N52te
  • Cherry G84-4700 PS/2 numpad
  • Cherry G80-3700 numpad
  • Even the Logitech G9 mouse

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 20:29:47 »
You can also hook up another keyboard and have twice the buttons as before.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 00:09:55 »
Thank you for helping me!

I've looked into the various mappable devices and come to the conclusion that I simply do not have the money for most of them right now. I do not own any of the iDevices out of freewill but that may be an attractive option for some people.

I guess my next question would be how to hook up a second keyboard or numpad as mentioned and not generate the same key codes as they keyboard that is currently attached. I have a numpad that is usb and also a usb keyboard. However if I hook them up and relable the keys I don't know if a software program will be able to differentiate them from one keyboard to the other so I can set one aside. I guess to sum it up, I want my desktop too look as confusing and complex as possible hahahahah. I suppose I could use stickers to cover keys if it would be possible to remap their functions. I'm still very open to ideas but currently I'm stashing money away for more college.
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 04:43:42 »
Quote from: Pixel_Outlaw;189446
I guess my next question would be how to hook up a second keyboard or numpad as mentioned and not generate the same key codes as they keyboard that is currently attached.

Somebody mentioned the Frets on Fire Keyboard Mapper recently. I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. At the very least it proves such a thing is possible.

Frets on Fire Keyboard Mapper
This software can distinguish two keyboards (even from the same vendor) and is able to remap any keypresses on Return or F1-F5 to a letter-key, as seen in the graphic below. Now both players can play against each other utilizing the same keys to play.

Physical Key   Returned Key Player 1   Returned Key Player 2
F1   q   a
F2   w   s
F3   e   d
F4   r   f
F5   t   g
Return   y   h

Download v1.0 (Windows)

Download v1.1 (Windows)
v1.1 lets you freely configure up to 32 keys. Plus minor bugfixes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 June 2010, 04:46:48 by Rajagra »

Offline imsto

• * Vendor
    • imsto.cn
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 10:23:33 »
Jobs told me to try iphone.  :D
imsto.cn
imsto's AiKB Taobao Shop
IBM Model M*3, IBM M13,M5, IBM with balls.Cherry   3000  3494 3700 4100*6 700*2 11900 8113 DAS4 TG3 KBC PokerDucky09Ducky1087 apple pink alps Ducky bull,tiger,rabbit,dragon version No:0000002