Author Topic: HHKB Travel Condom - Slip It On For Protection  (Read 15986 times)

Offline maxlugar

HHKB Travel Condom - Slip It On For Protection
« on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 23:57:30 »
For those of you who LOVE your HHKB and use it as a travel keyboard, I've found an alternative to the the lovely Soft Carrying Case custom made for the HHKB, offered on EliteKeyboards.com

The soft carrying case on the EliteKeyboards site looks like a fine product (except for those turquoise accents) but for me, it's not practical to carry a separate bag just for my keyboard.

I frequently make short hops from Southern Cal to Phoenix, AZ and needed to find something to protect my beloved HHKB from getting damaged in my carry-on laptop bag.

This would be a good time for the disclaimer:
I am not affiliated in any way with Microsoft, the brand label on my Rolling Laptop Case, nor WaterField Designs of San Francisco, the manufacturer of the keyboard sleeve I am about to recommend.

I found a padded sleeve from a company in SF which was designed for the Apple ultrathin wireless keyboard.  However, this sleeve just also happens to fit the HHKB like a "hand in a velvet glove"  (that was for you AC/DC fans).

It is high quality, nicely lined, has adequate padding, and is strangely enough, MADE IN THE USA!   For a mere $37, it provides adequate secondary protection for my HHKB and also looks like it was custom made to fit inside the back compartment of the Microsoft Rolling Laptop Case.

Here is the beloved HHKB.  It's beloved because after shelling out $250, I had the pleasure of shelling out another $70 for a set of replacement key caps I COULD ACTUALLY READ

The Waterfield sleeve:

Perspective view of HHKB and Waterfield sleeve:

Closeup view of Waterfield case from the side:

Side view of HHKB happily snug and secure inside the Waterfield sleeve:

HHKB inside Waterfield sleeve, tucked away in the Microsoft Rolling Laptop Overniter:

EXTREME CLOSEUP for those of you with poor eyesight:

Anyway, you get the idea.

If you're interested in the Waterfield padded sleeve, it is available online here:
http://www.sfbags.com/products/keyboardcases/keyboard.htm

The case you want to select for the HHKB is the "Short Wireless Sleeve", only available in black for $37.  Dimensions are 12" X 5.1"

The rest of you can announce your super nerdiness to the world by proudly carrying your HHKB in the custom soft case with the carry handles (and blue turquoise accents).

Remember - only two carry-on items are allowed, so choose wisely  :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2010, 01:35:29 by maxlugar »
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline tamasrepus

• http://blog.samat.org/
Alternative HHKB Travel Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 00:07:43 »
Fantastic idea! It seems much slimmer and compact than the conventional HHKB softcase.

Waterfield appears to be OOS of these sleeves at the moment, but I'll think about it when they come back into stock.
Noppoo Choc Mini w/ Cherry MX Brown
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Black w/labels
Topre Realforce 87U, 55g
ABS M1
Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2
Logitech diNovo Edge
Sun Type 6 USB

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 00:08:17 »
Good find:) Bags made in the US aren't as uncommon as they would seem in today's global economy, as the handbag/backpack industry in the USA is protected by a hefty duty of 20%.

I've actually gotten a couple of inquiries as of late regarding the hard case made by Bird Electron which, now that I think of it, would actually be a safe & compact way to carry a HHKB in a suitcase, but if the sleeve works, it's a good deal for the price/quality.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 01:25:29 »
Quote from: majestouch;189445
Good find:) Bags made in the US aren't as uncommon as they would seem in today's global economy, as the handbag/backpack industry in the USA is protected by a hefty duty of 20%.

I've actually gotten a couple of inquiries as of late regarding the hard case made by Bird Electron which, now that I think of it, would actually be a safe & compact way to carry a HHKB in a suitcase, but if the sleeve works, it's a good deal for the price/quality.

Thanks Majestouch.  I'm not dissin' the official HHKB soft travel case in any way.  In fact, I'm probably going to order one from EliteKeyboards.com to have just for grins.  

As a matter of necessity, I needed to find some way to protect the HHKB from damage during my weekly jaunts to Phx and other business trips.  It's simply not practical to transport a small keyboard in its own carry-on bag.

I still need to order that white Realforce 23U numeric keypad don't I?  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 June 2010, 13:19:42 by maxlugar »

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 02:13:18 »
You should see if you could fit it into a ukelele case. only for the sake of function of course.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 02:44:40 »
Quote from: Infinite north;189474
You should see if you could fit it into a ukelele case. only for the sake of function of course.

Show Image
Show Image

Nah, you can try it and let the rest of us know if it fits.  :)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 03:29:03 »
Great find! I knew there had to be something like this out there, but I somehow failed to spot the obvious similarity between the HHKB and Mac cut down boards, and follow it to the logical conclusion.

I bet you could make a hard protective case for the HHKB by bolting together two Mac keyboards. Now that would be making a statement.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 13:14:56 »
Quote from: Rajagra;189482
... but I somehow failed to spot the obvious similarity between the HHKB and Mac cut down boards, and follow it to the logical conclusion.

I'm disappointed in you Spock  :)

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 August 2010, 00:26:33 »
Sorry to necro this thread.. but I was just thinking of ordering one of those cases for my HHKB.

May I know whether you are able to stick a USB cable in that sleeve or it's just too tight?

The one that you have might be a bit too thick for what I had in mind but that closure strap is useful. However, do you think that the other models would fit the HHKB as I tend to believe so, because looking at the dimensions, they all seem to have the same given dimensions (12" x 5.75") except that the padding material is different.

Please advise.

PS: Nice black/grey/white combo and I think that can only be pulled off with the white lettered keycaps, I'll try it with the blank keycaps when mine arrives from Japan.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 August 2010, 02:21:55 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;209357
Sorry to necro this thread.. but I was just thinking of ordering one of those cases for my HHKB.

May I know whether you are able to stick a USB cable in that sleeve or it's just too tight?

The one that you have might be a bit too thick for what I had in mind but that closure strap is useful. However, do you think that the other models would fit the HHKB as I tend to believe so, because looking at the dimensions, they all seem to have the same given dimensions (12" x 5.75") except that the padding material is different.

Please advise.

PS: Nice black/grey/white combo and I think that can only be pulled off with the white lettered keycaps, I'll try it with the blank keycaps when mine arrives from Japan.

There is sufficient room for the standard HHKB USB cable in the sleeve.  It fits nicely behind the keyboard without creating a bulge.  The end strap snaps in place to keep the keyboard from sliding out.  

Although the Waterfield sleeve was designed for the thin Apple keyboard, it seems like it was custom made for the HHKB. I find the padding adequate to protect the keyboard during transport, without being too bulky.  I can't comment on any other sleeves as this is the only one I've tried.

There is a custom hard case made in Japan by Bird Electron for the HHKB.  I believe it is only available in Japan and Korea, but you may be able to purchase one through an import service.  From the pictures I've seen, the hard case is the only other option that would seem to provide adequate protection for the HHKB without taking up too much space in your laptop bag or suitcase.  However, I would guess it costs considerably more than 37 USD.

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 August 2010, 02:37:52 »
http://www.kitcut.co.jp/onlinestore/product_detail.php?prod_No=254813#contents

Is that the custom hard case that you were talking about?

Thanks for the advice, I guess the SFBag is the way to go.
One more question, is the external fabric ballistic fabric? They did not seem to have stated it there but it sure seems like it.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 August 2010, 12:00:31 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;209383
http://www.kitcut.co.jp/onlinestore/product_detail.php?prod_No=254813#contents

Is that the custom hard case that you were talking about?

Thanks for the advice, I guess the SFBag is the way to go.
One more question, is the external fabric ballistic fabric? They did not seem to have stated it there but it sure seems like it.

Yes, that's the one.  4,380 yen is about 51 USD at the current exchange rate but the end price would be considerably higher after duties, service fees, and shipping costs.

The SF Waterfield case is constructed of a combination of a ballistic fabric and a textured rubberized fabric which provides an additional measure of protection without the need for bulky padding.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of your HHKB with the white/gray key caps.

I love my HHKB almost as much as the 84-key PC AT Model F modded by my pal Dr. SK Cheng.   :)

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 21:03:15 »
Hey, I just got this and I was wondering..

1. I did not have the space for even a 1.5ft long USB cable unless I wanted to slowly slither its way in

2. The HHKB is a little bit longer than the strap of the thing allows so you might
need some amount of brute force to actually make the case strap snap and fit it tight.

Did you felt it was the same or?

Other than that, I got another SFbags sleeve for my X200 and it feels INCREDIBLY well made, so is the keyboard case.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 01:44:28 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;224783
Hey, I just got this and I was wondering..

1. I did not have the space for even a 1.5ft long USB cable unless I wanted to slowly slither its way in

2. The HHKB is a little bit longer than the strap of the thing allows so you might
need some amount of brute force to actually make the case strap snap and fit it tight.

Did you felt it was the same or?

Other than that, I got another SFbags sleeve for my X200 and it feels INCREDIBLY well made, so is the keyboard case.

I'm sorry to hear the Waterfield sleeve doesn't fit your HHKB like a glove.

I did not experience either issue.  There is adequate room for the standard USB cable in the sleeve and the snap strap clears the edge of the keyboard perfectly.

You should contact Waterfield/SF bags to make sure your order was filled correctly (i.e. there was no mix up in the items shipped).  If you are not happy with the case, I'm pretty sure they will send you a replacement or make a full refund.

Because these cases are hand made in small production runs, it's possible that you received a sleeve from a run that was made with slightly different tolerances.  When you contact SF bags, let them know you are using the sleeve for the PFU Fujitsu HHKB Pro 2, not the Apple thin keyboard that it was designed for.  Also provide them with the exact dimensions of the HHKB to make sure the replacement sleeve fits properly.

I believe you live outside the US.  PM me if I can help you.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 September 2010, 01:48:13 by maxlugar »

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 05:36:12 »
Quote from: maxlugar;224824
I'm sorry to hear the Waterfield sleeve doesn't fit your HHKB like a glove.

I did not experience either issue.  There is adequate room for the standard USB cable in the sleeve and the snap strap clears the edge of the keyboard perfectly.

You should contact Waterfield/SF bags to make sure your order was filled correctly (i.e. there was no mix up in the items shipped).  If you are not happy with the case, I'm pretty sure they will send you a replacement or make a full refund.

Because these cases are hand made in small production runs, it's possible that you received a sleeve from a run that was made with slightly different tolerances.  When you contact SF bags, let them know you are using the sleeve for the PFU Fujitsu HHKB Pro 2, not the Apple thin keyboard that it was designed for.  Also provide them with the exact dimensions of the HHKB to make sure the replacement sleeve fits properly.

I believe you live outside the US.  PM me if I can help you.

Good luck.

Thanks Max, that was very helpful for you.
For your case, does the HHKB stick out at all (when viewed from the top with the HHKB lying in the case, and the case lying flat on the table) from the opening?

Mine does, a little bit, maybe around 3-5mm or so but your pictures seem to tell a different tale.

No worries, I already sent them an e-mail so I'm hoping for a reply from Gary of Waterfield Designs soon (he's a great guy to deal with btw, prompt replies, doesn't make you feel like you're talking to a computer and wonderful service all around).

It's 6:00 AM in the US now so I should be expecting a reply within the next 12 hours. :D

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 06:14:00 »
Awesome case Max, really nice find and looks even better as an alternative. The more and more I see HHKB the more I want one.. the price is a little outrageous though I think personally, maybe I should stop bumming around and try and get a job...

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 04:40:52 »
Hey, (and maxlugar in particular)

Does anyone know if pressing the keys down for an extended period of time (when the snap closure is in place) actually stresses and compresses the spring of the Topre keyswitch so it becomes less 'springy'?

I'm asking so because the snap closure of the waterfield sleeve constantly presses on the Shift and Enter key for the HHKB. :(

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 03:23:50 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;233654
Hey, (and maxlugar in particular)

Does anyone know if pressing the keys down for an extended period of time (when the snap closure is in place) actually stresses and compresses the spring of the Topre keyswitch so it becomes less 'springy'?

I'm asking so because the snap closure of the waterfield sleeve constantly presses on the Shift and Enter key for the HHKB. :(

To tell the truth, I was wondering the same thing about mine.  Since the sleeve is placed vertically in my Microsoft overnighter case with accessory cases next to it, the snug fit  (see pics) keeps the HHKB from shifting during transit.

I personally no longer engage the snap at the top of the sleeve because I believe it does indeed slightly compress the Return and Delete keys.  

When I first started using the sleeve, I engaged the snap for several months without any noticable change in the "springiness" of those keys.  But because I realized the the sleeve fits so snugly in a vertical position, snapping the strap at the top end of the sleeve does not serve any purpose.

If I were going to transport the HHKB differently, say throwing it in a regular suitcase (laying flat horizontally), I would snap the strap at the end of the case to ensure the HHKB doesn't slide out in transit.

Perhaps you and I are just paranoid or at the least, overly cautious about our HHKBs.  So far, my HHKB has survived a brief encounter with Grey Goose vodka and several falls off of my desk to a carpeted floor with no apparent damage.   :)

Offline v193r

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 October 2010, 11:49:28 »
after you put the hhkb in the bag can the bag also squeeze in a wrist rest like the filco one or the 3star one. the height of them are .6in.

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 October 2010, 13:07:38 »
Quote from: v193r;237356
after you put the hhkb in the bag can the bag also squeeze in a wrist rest like the filco one or the 3star one. the height of them are .6in.
Finally got the pictures uploaded on how the keyboard looks like in the case:

I can say for sure that they wont fit unless you squeeze them in.
The HHKB is fit snugly into the case as it is.

I think it is possible but looking at the sizes, it seems that the wrist rest is longer than the HHKB itself so you would have it sticking out.. not recommended and beats the purpose in my opinion.

I recommend the wooden wrist rest (if you can get one) as it matches the HHKB perfectly.

Well it was made for the HHKB anyway
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 October 2010, 09:58:55 by chongyixiong »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 October 2010, 13:32:55 »
Do you have the hook up on the HHKB wrist rest?  I have been looking for one, but for now, my trimmed mouse pad version works pretty well.

Offline elservo

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 October 2010, 15:26:06 »
Nice Thinkpad!  Looks like a new one.  Very nice edging on the keyboard bevel, soft to the touch.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline v193r

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 October 2010, 19:04:45 »

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 09:57:09 »
Quote from: itlnstln;237406
Do you have the hook up on the HHKB wrist rest?  I have been looking for one, but for now, my trimmed mouse pad version works pretty well.
Sorry bro, I got the black HHKB from a Yahoo auction and it came with the roof and wrist rest together.. all for about USD$250 shipped.

I do however have a set of black lettered keys. Maxlugar, when you commented that your HHKB was hard to read, did you get the lettered or blank keys?

Quote from: elservo;237467
Nice Thinkpad!  Looks like a new one.  Very nice edging on the keyboard bevel, soft to the touch.
I love it too.. best purchase in years. In comparison with the 2011 Macbook Air, mine can do one finger opening too! And I have a safety latch and spill-resistant keyboard to boot. Not to mention the gorgeous AFFS display. Sweet.

Quote from: v193r;237527
anyone know if this case can hold the hhkb?
http://www.sfbags.com/products/keyboard-cases/keyboard-travel.php
Definitely, it's larger than the one I ordered so it might not be a snug fit but it will definitely fit it well. You can't go wrong with any of Gary's products!

Offline v193r

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 14:41:30 »
can it fit a wrist rest too. the 14" one either filco or 3 star i cant decide yet.

Offline v193r

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 15:45:50 »
can the master and commander fit inside it an FILCO Medium Leather Palm Rest or the 3star medium?
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 October 2010, 16:38:51 by v193r »

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 03:39:48 »
Quote from: v193r;237722
can the master and commander fit inside it an FILCO Medium Leather Palm Rest or the 3star medium?

Shoot Gary an email @ heygary@sfbags.com (in charge of Waterfield Designs), give him the dimensions of your keyboard and wrist rest.. and ask him about it. He's a very friendly guy and will definitely answer your questions no doubt.

Offline phototristan

• https://www.youtube.com/phototristan
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 18:35:57 »
Does anyone have experience with the cheaper keyboard sleeves SFBags.com now has?:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/keyboard-cases/keyboard-cases.php

I'm thinking maybe the $15. or $29. one may suffice but I'm not sure how well they fit the HHKB Pro 2.

Anyone know?

Offline isp

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 18:59:50 »
Quote from: phototristan;310157
Does anyone have experience with the cheaper keyboard sleeves SFBags.com now has?
.......... but I'm not sure how well they fit the HHKB Pro 2.

While I do not have first hand experience with either of those "sleeve" options you mentioned.  Judging on the product videos I am doubtful that a hhkb would fit comfortably in there.  I have a feeling the keys would atleast have to be squished down.  

It's a shame because I like the product but unfortunately it looks like it was designed with only one kb in mind.
hhkb

Offline phototristan

• https://www.youtube.com/phototristan
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 19:11:09 »
So the $39. one does fit the HHKB okay?

Offline isp

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 19:44:34 »
Quote from: phototristan;310176
So the $39. one does fit the HHKB okay?

I'm pretty sure that one is OK.
hhkb

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 05:22:03 »
According to the official HHKB Pro 2 Dimensions: 294 x 110 x 39.9mm (11.6" x 4.3" x 1.6"). The HHKB Pro 2 will fit inside the Master and Commander http://www.sfbags.com/products/keyboard-cases/keyboard-travel.php. The Master and Commander Dimensions are:  13" x 6 " x 1.8".
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 14:08:40 »
***News Flash***
I bought a HHKB Pro 2 Type S this week and also decided to order the OEM HHKB soft carrying case from EliteKeyboards.com.

I have to tell ya, I really like the soft carrying case, turquoise accents and all.  In fact, I think it offers better protection for the HHKB than the padded Waterfield sleeve.

Unlike the Waterfield sleeve, the HHKB soft carrying case has a ridgid backing on one side, and an accessory pocket on the front.  The HHKB fits into the soft carrying case with room to spare so there is no tension on the keys.  It also fits my new Microsoft rolling laptop bag perfectly (vertical position, in the main compartment, right next to my Dell Latitude E6420).

So to sum it up, the Waterfield sleeve is good, but the OEM soft carrying case is better!
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 January 2012, 14:35:10 by maxlugar »