Author Topic: What is a new old stock 1999 IBM model M Danish 1391407 spring keyboard worth?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline mark2642

Hi Guys,

I have a brand new old stock still in the box and unused 1999 model m Danish made 1391407 keyboard

keyboard and box have matching dates on them from 13th December 1999

I found it amongst boxes of old computer equipment so have no knowledge of it but I've been told they are highly desirable.

what is something like that worth?

226211-0226213-1226215-2226217-3

Offline RSanders

• DataHand Pro II > Maltron > Kinesis > Flat Boards
    • LinkedIn Profile
Probably around $150 US based on pricing over at https://clickykeyboards.com for similar era keyboards of that model. You should try typing on it.  Assuming it is one of the buckling spring versions (clicky keys) it will be a joy to type on, but in small doses due to not being very ergonomic.  If it were me, I would keep it and use it, though they key layout may cause some issues depending on which geographic market this unit was originally intended.

Offline mark2642

I have one listed on eBay but started it as a 99p auction because I wasn't sure how to price it. hopefully it gets up to the £120 mark

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Probably around $150 US based on pricing over at https://clickykeyboards.com for similar era keyboards of that model. You should try typing on it.  Assuming it is one of the buckling spring versions (clicky keys) it will be a joy to type on, but in small doses due to not being very ergonomic.  If it were me, I would keep it and use it, though they key layout may cause some issues depending on which geographic market this unit was originally intended.

For a 4th gen?
All I have to say is Wow.
Maybe I should sell some of my collection?

Offline Paspie

This is a 3rd gen, it was made in Scotland.

Offline RSanders

• LinkedIn Profile
I have one listed on eBay but started it as a 99p auction because I wasn't sure how to price it. hopefully it gets up to the £120 mark

Keep in mind that the Model M keyboards listed for sale at clickykeyboards.com have all been thoroughly cleaned/inspected (essentially refurbished) unless otherwise specified, resulting in what could be perceived as commanding an unusually high price unless all the work done on their end to ensure a working keyboard has been taken into account. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2019, 10:10:31 by RSanders »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
This is a 3rd gen, it was made in Scotland.

You should know. Expert.

4th generation keyboards have an entirely different controller on them. The cord is straight and built in. Look at the indicator lights.

3rd generation have an SDL controller that has a separate cord and PS/2 connector. The LED indicators are separate from the controller.

I am not here to bash your comment, but to inform you of the difference.

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 20:10:03 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Keep in mind that the Model M keyboards listed for sale at clickykeyboards.com have all been thoroughly cleaned/inspected (essentially refurbished) unless otherwise specified, resulting in what could be perceived as commanding an unusually high price unless all the work done on their end to ensure a working keyboard has been taken into account.

Get a Sabre. I got lucky.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 22:14:40 by Snowdog993 »

Offline RSanders

• LinkedIn Profile

Get a Sabre. I got lucky.

Are you referring to the Model M with the custom keycaps for the Sabre Travel Network reservation system by any chance? If so, what have you found that makes that particular one any better than other similar era Model M's? Regardless, I suspect this thread is veering off topic at this point.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

Are you referring to the Model M with the custom keycaps for the Sabre Travel Network reservation system by any chance? If so, what have you found that makes that particular one any better than other similar era Model M's? Regardless, I suspect this thread is veering off topic at this point.

Yes I am and yes I purchased a Sabre from the ClickyKeyboards. I have no idea what they are asking for them, but yes, they are more rare than a 1391401. Is it any different? No.
Take a look if you want.
https://imgur.com/a/tBZaV
I just thought if you were going to buy a "special" keyboard from them, try to get one of the more rare ones.
That was all.

I was just explaining the difference between a 3rd and 4th gen Model M. What's your beef with me?

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 September 2019, 21:00:03 by Snowdog993 »

Offline rxc92

Re: What is a new old stock 1999 IBM model M Danish 1391407 spring keyboard worth?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 23:44:36 »
Might want to calm down there buddy.

Offline RSanders

• LinkedIn Profile
Re: What is a new old stock 1999 IBM model M Danish 1391407 spring keyboard worth?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 09:38:58 »
...I just thought if you were going to buy a "special" keyboard from them, try to get one of the more rare ones...
...I was just explaining the difference between a 3rd and 4th gen Model M. What's your beef with me?...

I have no "beef" with you and I apologize if that was your impression.

I was simply curious regarding the subtle differences between the different Model M's and my statement regarding going off topic was an admission on my part that I knew my question regarding the Sabre was not on topic, depending on moderator interpretation. Clickykeyboards.com was initially mentioned as a potential resource for roughly estimating value, especially on an unused still in box specimen as described by the starter of this thread.  I'm not quite sure where the impression was given that someone was wanting to buy a Model M. I am most definitely not. The only reason I would purchase another M is to replace mine when/if it fails and at that point, my interest is in actual utility plus a small bit of nostalgia, not rarity, hence my very much off topic question to you regarding the differences, if any, between the keyboards.

The detailed information with images you provided earlier regarding the gen3 vs gen4 was quite informative.  I certainly learned some things I had not known before regarding the Model M.  Again, I have no "beef" with you and I apologize if that was your impression.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 11:46:23 »
Probably around $150 US ....
On Swedish Tradera, you could sometimes see dirty used 4th gen Model Ms sell for that price.
🍉

Offline Saga

• Pew Pew Particle Accelerators
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 16:07:10 »
Let me know what you're after for it. I've wanted a model M and use the Danish layout.