Author Topic: Newb Question  (Read 3151 times)

Offline FranciscoGoya

Newb Question
« on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 08:57:45 »
Hi,

I'm looking for something like a Leopold FC750R Two Tone but with European layout (big enter button).  I'd prefer not to do a whole lot of modding or switching out keys, so I'm wondering what my choices are. Looking for that form factor, with two tone or beige keys, and Euro enter button.

The only mechanical keyboard I have is a Leopold 700R with brown switches. I'm happy with it apart from the US layout. I also want quieter switches if someone can recommend, since it's for writing a book, and I'll be up into the wee hours.

Thanks very much for any replies.

Offline yui

Re: Newb Question
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 09:22:23 »
I guess if you want silent, tactile and no modding the only option i see would be Topre they make an iso tkl keyboard like you want but it is not cheap (Topre Realforce 105U) or try to find a board with silent red, but then again expensive and not tactile feedback.
If a little bit of modding is not out of the question i'd say you should try to add some padding inside the keyboard to prevent resonance and o-rings to the keycaps to prevent bottoming out (most of the sound would come from there).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Gampela

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 10:18:54 »
Cherry mx silent red boards are still heck of a lot cheaper than Topre boards and perfectly good for writing, just might take a bit to get used to linear switches. I don't think Topre even makes those newer out of the box silenced keyboards for ISO layout. I think best bet would be searching either Varmillo (VA88M) or Ducky (skyline tkl) boards with Cherry mx silent red switches. Leopold is a good brand too, but I'm not sure if ISO versions of those exists with silenced switches. What kind of localization are we talking about? ISO-DE? ISO-UK? ISO-Nordic?

Offline Genkaz

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 11:36:50 »
How good is Topre for gaming?

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 01:14:28 »
it is capacitive rubber dome, if you ever used a rubber dome keyboard, imagine that but much higher quality and with n-key rollover, and from what i heard (never tried) they actuate before bottoming out, unlike regular rubber domes.
So it really depend, some even manage to game on model M, if you can game on your brown from what i heard Topre is similar but only better (i would recommend checking reviews there is quite a few on the forum and on youtube)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Mitchis

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 05:51:14 »

I played Starcraft 2(which is pretty keyboard intensive) during 2 Years on a Novatouch and it was very good. It's not exhausting at all. I'd say it feels a bit like Cherry Browns if I had to compare. The rubber/spring feel makes it very confortable for long hours of playing. It's very linear, no click, no sound, and that's a plus for your bros on Discord. I'd stay Topre is a bit stiffer than some mechs so it's pretty good if you need to keep your fingers resting on the keys for some time and only pressing at a precise moment, like Mobas or FPS.
I only changed to try a new layout, but I would still play with it.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 11:42:33 »

I played Starcraft 2(which is pretty keyboard intensive) during 2 Years on a Novatouch and it was very good. It's not exhausting at all. I'd say it feels a bit like Cherry Browns if I had to compare. The rubber/spring feel makes it very confortable for long hours of playing. It's very linear, no click, no sound, and that's a plus for your bros on Discord. I'd stay Topre is a bit stiffer than some mechs so it's pretty good if you need to keep your fingers resting on the keys for some time and only pressing at a precise moment, like Mobas or FPS.
I only changed to try a new layout, but I would still play with it.

Sound is awful though