Author Topic: [IC] GMK Bushidō  (Read 119951 times)

Offline psxndc

Re: [IC] GMK Seppuku
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:09:28 »
For like three dudes from US coastal areas,, I think we'll be fine  :-\

From US Coastal areas? ... Ok. not sure what you're getting at or how their area of residence matters at all, especially considering the first person to raise a concern is from Minnesota, so ...

But back to the set, looks great. I personally don't care about the name, but if those mods do in fact say "suicide" that's ... less than ideal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:11:53 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline fmauNeko

• Dissidence
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:11:43 »
Rename it GMK MuricansAreMoreOffendedThanActualJapanesePeople

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] GMK Bushidō
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:14:38 »
Not a fan of another weeb set. But since the name might be too harsh for some folks, it can be renamed to "Niten Ichi Ryu" due to two colors. A blank set of it could be called Zatoichi. Anyway I like Japanese culture but there are too many sets riding it.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:17:20 »
Set renamed. I will change the text novelties soon.
I plan to offer deskmats, artisans and maybe some other stuff.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:31:48 by biip »

Offline zekth

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:24:12 »
Not a fan of another weeb set. But since the name might be too harsh for some folks, it can be renamed to "Niten Ichi Ryu" due to two colors. A blank set of it could be called Zatoichi. Anyway I like Japanese culture but there are too many sets riding it.

I'm really into regular alpha using the red colorscheme for this set, but i don't think it would hit the MOQ. :/

Offline infinitykw

• Amazed by the beauty of industrial design
    • zFrontier Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:26:07 »
Just to show my affiliation as I loved this skin theme:

« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:35:25 by infinitykw »

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:31:34 »
the sublegend design is almost as atrocious as the set's original name

Offline SenhorHoshino

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:33:52 »
Film and TV Series can show and profit from suicide, but not a keycap set? Artists can get inspiration from wherever they see fit.

Censorship is BAD.

Just don't join in.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:36:28 by SenhorHoshino »

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:43:06 »
Is it possible to dispense with the katakana sublegends? For a set honoring the Japanese traditional warrior spirit, this seems almost like a major oversight given that bushidō doesn't even have a katakana form.

Offline zekth

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:53:07 »
I'd have renamed it as biip++

At least no controversy on the name i guess...  :-X

Btw this is getting really boring.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:55:02 by zekth »

Offline kronograf

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 05:08:28 »
This is why I don't care for what curtain or kitchen sink or bra or napkin-that-you-found-in-your-grandparents-attic your set could be inspired by.
I see colors and base my opinion on that, I don't care about what story someone thought up for it.

In this case, set looks SICK. Would buy if not for a tiny detail - centered icon mods is a no go for me. Traditional positioning and I'd be in!

It'll be a real hit like always Biip, good job! Love the creativity.

as someone who doesn’t care about contextual influences and underlying symbolism and just appreciates *vivid colors*, *dark edgy mature* themes, and foreign sublegends, i wholeheartedly agree

looking forward to the upcoming GMK Rape of Nanking and GMK Holodomor
jane me | 910 me

Offline softsoph

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 05:38:35 »
GMK Emma?

Offline Vireca

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 05:48:52 »
I like it

Offline EnjoyMyInSec

• 60% or bust
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 06:30:55 »
It’s so sad to see that people that aint concerned by that made stupid drama, it’s not the URSS, we have freedom of speech right ? Idk if you guys realise that we came to a point where set’s name are censored.
Biip worked really hard to do something around that special theme, it’s an hommage... but whatever.
Im waiting for some people to say that GMK White On Black is controversial now lmao.

I guess we can close the debate and apprecieate the beauty of this set, this set deserves a lot of love.
 :thumb:

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 06:32:35 »
OH MY God i fEel So oFfendeD by tHEse KeycAps

Grow the **** up people.

Offline ThomasTaiTai

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 06:37:20 »
GMK rape and murder

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Offline ThomasTaiTai

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 06:49:07 »
I take back everything that I said. I didn't know everyone is fine with indirect racism. Just don't get offended when GMK Nazi or something like that runs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 08:08:02 by ThomasTaiTai »

Offline Rico

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 06:59:58 »
I don't really understand why Bushido name is giving so much trouble.
'Bushido Code' talks about the eight virtues of a samourai:
https://acelebrationofwomen.org/2017/03/the-bushido-code-the-eight-virtues-of-the-samurai/
You will see in this text that nothing taks about Seppuku and/or suicide.

Seppuku ritual is a very minor aspect of Bushido Code and not explicitely written in it.
Also I would like to note that commiting suicide is not a ritual, Seppuku is.

For me a keyset inspired by rules of conduits of Samurais is a great idea and I see nothing bad about it.
And to be honest even during our modern days some of these rules should be adopted by us.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:00:25 »
Set renamed. I will change the text novelties soon.

I think that's definitely a change for the better. Highlighting the way of the warrior with _all_ its facets makes much more sense to me.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:06:52 »
https://acelebrationofwomen.org/2017/03/the-bushido-code-the-eight-virtues-of-the-samurai/

Seppuku ritual is a very minor aspect of Bushido Code and not explicitely written in it.

For me a keyset inspired by rules of conduits of Samurais is a great idea and I see nothing bad about it.
And to be honest even during our modern days some of these rules should be adopted by us.

I initally callled it "Seppuku".

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:09:28 »

Bushido is the new name. Seppuku was the first

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:10:23 »
Here's my post on r/mechmarketgonewild

[IC] GMK Nazi

GMK Nazi celebrates the war crimes of the Nazi party, disguised in so called "Schutzstaffel and German history". Renders coming later. Who's interested?

Inspiration: GMK Bushidō u/biiperino - a wonderful set centered around "Samurai and Japanese history".

why are you so funny

Offline zekth

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:15:01 »

[IC] GMK Nazi

GMK Nazi celebrates the war crimes of the Nazi party, disguised in so called "Schutzstaffel and German history". Renders coming later. Who's interested?

Inspiration: GMK Bushidō u/biiperino - a wonderful set centered around "Samurai and Japanese history".

why are you so funny

He deleted his post on reddit.  :)) :))

You are literally creating drama for no good reason.

« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:21:10 by zekth »

Offline fmauNeko

• Dissidence
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:18:50 »

[IC] GMK Nazi

why are you so funny

He deleted his post on reddit.  :)) :))
He edited it here too. But the internet never forgets.

Offline Rico

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:24:29 »
I initally callled it "Seppuku".

My bad :D

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:41:07 »
Omg i dont care what its called. All the freakin pc peeps. Just make it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:42:41 »
It’s so sad to see that people that aint concerned by that made stupid drama, it’s not the URSS, we have freedom of speech right ? Idk if you guys realise that we came to a point where set’s name are censored.
Biip worked really hard to do something around that special theme, it’s an hommage... but whatever.
Im waiting for some people to say that GMK White On Black is controversial now lmao.

I guess we can close the debate and apprecieate the beauty of this set, this set deserves a lot of love.
 :thumb:

You are, without a doubt, one of the most hypocritical people I've ever come across in this hobby.

It's hilarious seeing you complain about outrage when you literally lost your marbles over another keyset.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline harlekein

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 08:09:14 »
Katakana monolegends please.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 08:55:57 by harlekein »

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 08:51:07 »
Cool set.

Offline olsen34

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:09:51 »
No one cares where you got your inspiration from, jesus. Like anybody ever said "Oh that keycaps backstory is so cool even though it looks ugly, that's the only reason I'm joining". This trend has become annoying.

Offline radam

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:10:46 »
I think nomad kit needs 1u r2 tab

Offline pwade3

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:11:11 »
No one cares where you got your inspiration from, jesus. Like anybody ever said "Oh that keycaps backstory is so cool even though it looks ugly, that's the only reason I'm joining". This trend has become annoying.

So much aggression over someone explaining their inspiration lmao.

Offline olsen34

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:19:28 »

So much aggression over someone explaining their inspiration lmao.

Because it's pretentious at best.

• n/a
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:24:30 »
The one time I find a set I like....and it looks likes it going to die because everyone is fighting!

Makes me want to kill myself!

Offline maximize

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:40:25 »
Regardless of intention (and I know biip had no ill intent), it would reflect poorly on our community if this went through unchanged. I mean, come on. The internal debate went off immediately, so try to imagine how outsiders might view it. The current theme is tasteless, even though the keyset looks great (and it really does).

If some people don't mind the name/theme now, why would they mind if it was changed to something less indelicate?

The debate goes off immediately all the time, doesn't make it any less idiotic. In all seriousness I'm just glad I don't feel as strongly about something as harmless as this set's name offending people as some seem to. Not naming a set of little plastic caps for a mechanical keyboard "Sepukku" because some people find suicide to be a sensitive topic (let's be honest no one here really gives a fk about whether or not it's offensive to "natives") is not a hill I'd wanna die on.

I really don't care what it's called, as do I not care how people feel about it - which is not to say Biip shouldn't, he definitely should despite it being ridiculous, if for no other reason than potential monetary gain.

Sometimes, arguments get idiotic, but this is not one of them. Other people have feelings, and they are just as valid as yours. So, why would it be a good idea to bring the theme of Seppuku to a bunch of plastic caps? Who needs a set that makes them think, "Oh yeah, that red line totally reminds me of where a samurai would have spilled their guts!" Why does anyone need that? It's not even necessarily offensive, but it's 100% tactless. There is a time and a place for everything. This ain't it. And yeah, actually some of us actually do care that some themes or topics are sensitive to other people around the world. You don't need to project your completely unsympathetic nature on the rest of us.

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:46:09 »
This discussion could go on forever and never be resolved. There will forever be people who think the name is hurtful and should therefore be removed, and those who think that trying to avoid hurting people is dumb. That's not going to magically change in one keyset thread. The good news is it's now a moot point, as the name has been changed, so we can move on to giving feedback about the actual set instead of using this thread to take out our aggression for the day...

« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:48:40 by gasp »

Offline ThomasTaiTai

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:02:58 »
This discussion could go on forever and never be resolved. There will forever be people who think the name is hurtful and should therefore be removed, and those who think that trying to avoid hurting people is dumb. That's not going to magically change in one keyset thread. The good news is it's now a moot point, as the name has been changed, so we can move on to giving feedback about the actual set instead of using this thread to take out our aggression for the day...
The name has definitely gotten less hurtful, but I doubt the Chinese and Koreans will approve.

Right now the Chinese community still doesn't know about this set. The drama is unlikely to end until this set runs or gets pressured to be taken down.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:18:35 »
The name has definitely gotten less hurtful, but I doubt the Chinese and Koreans will approve.

Right now the Chinese community still doesn't know about this set. The drama is unlikely to end until this set runs or gets pressured to be taken down.

The drama will subside in less than a week if no new updates are posted.

No one had an issue with Red Samurai (China or otherwise), but you might as well call it GMK Japanese Shadow (the Edgehog) if you're worried about evoking Japanese stereotypes.

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:20:02 »

Are you some kind of Chinese/Korean embassador of some sort now ?
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:21:58 »
This guy has taste

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline x86ect

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:23:06 »
GMK Kesagiri - one of the (edit) more effective (/edit) cuts in the samurai sword arts.

Then
- the name doesn't remind anyone of lost loved ones
- there is no questioning of the relationship of the themes to the bushido code
- the blood splatter makes even more sense.

In the same vein (yikes), what do you think of offering an all white legend kit, so that people can create their own mix of white and red like the splatter in your banner (rather than straight across)?

Then again... if you named it GMK Nukitsuke, you could keep your horizontal white line.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:36:40 by x86ect »

Offline zekth

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:27:06 »
This guy has taste

It would be cool, Bento has just hit the MOQ for the hiragana only legends. It's not an easy MOQ kit.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:29:39 »
This guy has taste

It would be cool, Bento has just hit the MOQ for the hiragana only legends. It's not an easy MOQ kit.
Yeah, I still have two sets of Bento Kobe, nobody wants them (I should have sold them bundled with the base kits I had, but now I'm stuck with them)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:30:47 »
Sometimes, arguments get idiotic, but this is not one of them. Other people have feelings, and they are just as valid as yours. So, why would it be a good idea to bring the theme of Seppuku to a bunch of plastic caps? Who needs a set that makes them think, "Oh yeah, that red line totally reminds me of where a samurai would have spilled their guts!" Why does anyone need that? It's not even necessarily offensive, but it's 100% tactless. There is a time and a place for everything. This ain't it. And yeah, actually some of us actually do care that some themes or topics are sensitive to other people around the world. You don't need to project your completely unsympathetic nature on the rest of us.

They don't. Your argument is weak, not every set has to appeal to everyone and not everyone has to want to own a set that reminds me of where a samurai would have spilled their guts. Others might, or might just not care. Plenty of people find slasher horror movies tactless (and the same goes for ones that portray authoritarian regimes etc), the way that usually is handled by someone's who's not a complete idiot is they don't go watch the movie.

Why should seppuku as a theme be banned from keycap sets because it reminds 10 people of people they knew that killed themselves? Or why should there not be (alluded) Nazi symbolism in a set that's themed after a TV series that tries to depict what modern day would look like if the Axis won WWII? Rpiguy9907's reply last page is fantastic, about as objective and sensible as it's gonna get, really the only argument that can be made in favour of potentially considering the name to be positive. Or we can all continue to pretend bad **** never happened and that even the slightest mention of it should be silenced which seems perfectly reasonable.

• n/a
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:51:39 »
So on a scale of 1 to 10 how close are we getting to making this happen?

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 11:07:09 »

They don't. Your argument is weak, not every set has to appeal to everyone and not everyone has to want to own a set that reminds me of where a samurai would have spilled their guts. Others might, or might just not care. Plenty of people find slasher horror movies tactless (and the same goes for ones that portray authoritarian regimes etc), the way that usually is handled by someone's who's not a complete idiot is they don't go watch the movie.

Why should seppuku as a theme be banned from keycap sets because it reminds 10 people of people they knew that killed themselves? Or why should there not be (alluded) Nazi symbolism in a set that's themed after a TV series that tries to depict what modern day would look like if the Axis won WWII? Rpiguy9907's reply last page is fantastic, about as objective and sensible as it's gonna get, really the only argument that can be made in favour of potentially considering the name to be positive. Or we can all continue to pretend bad **** never happened and that even the slightest mention of it should be silenced which seems perfectly reasonable.
Imagine not understanding the difference between acknowledging something happened and celebrating it through a product

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 11:07:56 »

Imagine not understanding the difference between acknowledging something happened and celebrating it through a product

Offline maximize

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 11:12:56 »

Having a fundamental sense of propriety is a weak argument for changing the theme? Ha! Ok buddy.
You can't say that only 10 people would disagree with the previous theme. Half of all the people here took issue with the naming, and it's possible that more did, but didn't say anything. Scale that up to the size of the community, and you have to realize something is wrong. Otherwise, you're just delusional.
But look at you, projecting again from behind the safety of your screen. I never said we should "pretend bad **** never happened". That's not the point. Remembering the bad **** that happened needs to be done, but carefully and in the right context. Nobody in their right mind would make a Lego concentration camp set. Similarly, plastic keycaps would not have been the place to bring up a Japanese suicide ritual.

Biip decided to change the name. The set still looks fire. The end.

Offline x86ect

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 11:19:36 »

If the Japanese themselves can "celebrate" this aspect of their history through cinema and literal legend, and hollywood can "celebrate" the same thing (and even pervert it), why can't someone make a keycap set related to it, especially since so many in this hobby are also tied to that same Japanese cinema?

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 11:24:36 »
I'm guessing that someone from this thread is the one who posted the short-lived "GMK Offended" IC today. On a serious note, if you or anyone else is willing to move forward with that set, I would personally and unsarcastically love to own a Pepe-themed keeb.

Btw biip, as a Korean-American designer, I find this set to be a pretty ingenious inspiration-to-product example of thinking in the keyboard space. Regardless of whether or not people find the precedent to be distasteful (as they have a right to express that opinion), the thinking behind this set is very unique and I'd like to see more colorways explore this type of creativity.

GLWS!