Author Topic: How much juice do you drink?  (Read 10623 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

How much juice do you drink?
« on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 22:28:06 »
Here was a collection of all the five alive cartons I drank:

yum! Although they discontinued the red five alive cartons, kind of like IBM discontinuing a good product.

There were also more cartons, and it wasn't until later on did I decide to collect them. Although my dad recycled them all, the guy at the recycler said "wow, that's a lot of five alive".
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:18:41 »
I only drink Diet Coke and water occasionally.
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:23:32 »
Rain water and grain alcohol.  Can't pollute the bodily fluids, you know.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:25:19 »
I really like cranberry juice (Minute Maid, from concentrate, but the taste and refreshment is there with at least a decent portion of the nutritional benefit). One pitcher every 1.5-2 days roughly.

When that's not available, orange juice (typically Old South, also from concentrate). Same approximate consumption ratio.

Apple juice occasionally (no real brand preference). Typically go through a can a day.

When I drink pop, I won't touch diet if it's sweetened with aspartame. Worse for you than sugar can ever be, unless you're diabetic, plus pretty poor taste = no thank you.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline dz_alias

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:26:31 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;191910

Ewwww.

I drink a lot of Starbucks. I work there.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:32:51 »
Quote from: kishy;191911
I really like cranberry juice (Minute Maid, from concentrate, but the taste and refreshment is there with at least a decent portion of the nutritional benefit). One pitcher every 1.5-2 days roughly.

When that's not available, orange juice (typically Old South, also from concentrate). Same approximate consumption ratio.

Apple juice occasionally (no real brand preference). Typically go through a can a day.

When I drink pop, I won't touch diet if it's sweetened with aspartame. Worse for you than sugar can ever be, unless you're diabetic, plus pretty poor taste = no thank you.

Haha, just what I was thinking, Aspartame is bad for you. And it does taste like crap, I can usually tell if something is sweetened with aspartame. It has a really weird aftertaste, can't explain it.

I L.O.V.E. cranberry juice. You can see a big 4 litre jug of it on the far left of the photo.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:34:09 »
Quote from: dz_alias;191912
Ewwww.

I drink a lot of Starbucks. I work there.

Doesn't starbucks just use cheap junk for their coffee? I do know that employees don't get free pastries.

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:35:48 »
Quote from: dz_alias;191912
Quote from: Nonmouse;191910

Ewwww.

I think that was the sound of an allusion screaming by 30 years too early...  =/

Offline dz_alias

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:42:57 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;191916
Doesn't starbucks just use cheap junk for their coffee? I do know that employees don't get free pastries.

Nah. 100% arabica beans.

I do too get free pastries. I mean Corporate wouldn't like it if they knew about it, but I do what I wount.

Starbacks is hella expensive though. Why I got a job there; couldn't afford it.

Quote from: Nonmouse;191918
I think that was the sound of an allusion screaming by 30 years too early...  =/

You have a lava lamp for an avatar. You know what I'm sayin' :hippie:.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:45:42 by dz_alias »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 00:45:34 »
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]

There's one of the old Five Alive commercials. It was posted by someone under the username of "Kushy"... hmmm....

Offline dz_alias

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:00:05 »
Quote from: ripster;191928
Show Image

Never seen that one. Will watch eventually.

Offline dz_alias

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:20:59 »
Quote from: ripster;191931
Like most things it's better if you do it yourself.
Show Image

I do do it by myself :tongue:. Learned on my own espresso machine. Wanna get another... I miss making lattes at 4AM.

Gotta watch out for some. Like to stop steaming, even with regular cleaning and maintenance.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:24:09 »
Quote from: ripster;191931
...better if you do it yourself...

...sex...

Quote from: dz_alias;191937
I do do it by myself...

This was fun.
kishy.ca

Offline Brian8bit

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:25:42 »
I've stopped drinking juice of any kind. I've switched to fruit smoothies instead. Got a nice one recently that's banana, pineapple and coconut.

Coffee on the other hand, I'm a complete fiend for.

Offline dz_alias

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:33:37 »
Quote from: brian8bit;191944
I've stopped drinking juice of any kind. I've switched to fruit smoothies instead. Got a nice one recently that's banana, pineapple and coconut.

Coffee on the other hand, I'm a complete fiend for.

Check out Banana Blend Vivannos at Starbucks.
[/upsell now go go go]

I have a love / hate relationship with caffeine. It's a relatively inferior stimulant, but it gets the job done.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:34:30 »
I mostly drink water, beer and occasionally wine.

Coffee too :-)

Cheers
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:37:18 by Half-Saint »
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:37:42 »
Why stop juice?

If it's for health reasons...dump the coffee first.
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:51:30 »
Ten years ago I wouldn't touch diet soda, but it's just about all I drink when I'm ingesting soda now. I used to be a workout nut and now I just work out enough to keep fit and stay healthy and drinking up to a thousand calories a day is a really really bad idea. You might want to keep that in mind.

I love cranberry juice too and I used to drink two liters of it a day when I was doing a lot of work, but that has the same problem as regular soda. The calories catch up to you. Diet cranberry juice tastes awful so I still drink the real stuff... but in a lot more moderation.

My choice of juice is Odwalla Superfood. It's a barley grass/juice puree blend if you've never had it before. The stuff is expensive though.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:52:11 »
Juice equals mostly sugar + water + a bit of fruit, IMHO. I like home made juices however!

As for coffee, I drink turkish coffee with milk. The rest isn't proper coffee anyway, if you ask me :)

Cheers
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 01:59:59 »
Quote from: kishy;191943
This was fun.

Okay kushy, I think he said something else:
Quote from: dz_alias;191919
I do too get free pastries.

Pastries huh?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 02:03:48 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;191964
Ten years ago I wouldn't touch diet soda, but it's just about all I drink when I'm ingesting soda now. I used to be a workout nut and now I just work out enough to keep fit and stay healthy and drinking up to a thousand calories a day is a really really bad idea. You might want to keep that in mind.

I love cranberry juice too and I used to drink two liters of it a day when I was doing a lot of work, but that has the same problem as regular soda. The calories catch up to you. Diet cranberry juice tastes awful so I still drink the real stuff... but in a lot more moderation.

One pop a day when I drink pop (355ml can - far less commonly a 591 or 700-whatever ml bottle).

Juice, well...it's got some benefit over pop, which has none.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;191966
Okay kushy,

I stopped reading at 'kushy'
kishy.ca

Offline dz_alias

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 02:04:09 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM
Pastries huh?
That some kind of hip-young Canadian lingo?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 02:05:02 »
Quote from: kishy;191956
Why stop juice?

If it's for health reasons...dump the coffee first.

No way, juice is worse for you. Most juices are nothing but sugar water with barely more nutrients in it than a can of sugared soda. Read the nutritional label. There's hardly anything in most of them. There's lots of Vitamin C in cranberry juice, but aside from that, it's tons of sugar.

I'm trying to go back to drinking more coffee and less soda.

BTW, this is some good coffee... probably amongst the best available.
http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/

I got hooked on this stuff as a college student in Boston. It's the stuff they brew in the Espresso Royale coffee chains in the Northeast US. The only other coffee I've ever had that's come close is a place in Alexandria, VA called Misha's Coffee.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 June 2010, 02:09:51 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 02:17:53 »
And y'all wonder why I only drink rain water and grain alcohol...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 02:39:43 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;191972
And y'all wonder why I only drink rain water and grain alcohol...

Can't pollute the body fluids, yeah we hear you, general.

Autistic kids like apple juice for some reason. If it makes them happy, I'll buy it. And drink it.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:13:56 »
Ugh, caffeine is useless, your body doesn't magically get any more energy...the more you drink just lengthens the time before your body goes into withdrawal.

Lately been drinking iced green tea (it's everywhere in Japan), I love the stuff. Stuff in North America is pretty crap though, so I'm gonna miss it starting Wednesday.

As for juice, usually a daily orange juice, or vitamin C equivalent. Though recently I've been addicted to this Tropicana (Fruit Sweets) Fruit Mix.

*pulls out an aluminium bottle from his hotel mini-fridge*

Hmm, Whitegrape, Mango, Banana, and Milk. Damn is it good. Sorry my Japanese isn't good enough to read the Nutritional content label.

On my bicycle trip though I was mostly drink sports drinks, Aquarious, Pocari Sweat, Gatorade, Aquarious Sparkling, and Aquarious Lemon. Aquarious Lemon is pretty good once in a while, but the rest taste like crap unless you are really thirsty.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:14:31 »
*Double Post*

Stoopid internet tether.
Kiibohd

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:18:51 »
Quote from: ricercar;191974
Autistic kids like apple juice for some reason. If it makes them happy, I'll buy it. And drink it.

Irrelevant. That's like saying "Mexicans like tequila. If it makes them happy, I'll buy it and drink it." :)

Apple juice around here is so full of sugar, I have to mix it with water to make it drinkable.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:31:59 »
Quote from: HaaTa;191985
Ugh, caffeine is useless, your body doesn't magically get any more energy...the more you drink just lengthens the time before your body goes into withdrawal.

Caffeine as an athletic performance enhancer has been controversial, but there is no debate that as a stimulant, it can be used to enhance your mental energy. The problem is that like all stimulants, there can be side effects like anxiety or having to pee a lot. All things being equal, a good night of sleep and regular exercise might do more for you than caffeine, but it's not useless.

Quote from: HaaTa;191985
Lately been drinking iced green tea (it's everywhere in Japan), I love the stuff. Stuff in North America is pretty crap though, so I'm gonna miss it starting Wednesday.

So.... you know that green tea has caffeine in it, right?
-

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:33:14 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;191989
Apple juice around here is so full of sugar, I have to mix it with water to make it drinkable.

Probably no sweeter than American Apple Juice, but we're just addicted to sugar... probably one reason why so many Americans are overweight.
-

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:53:37 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;191995
So.... you know that green tea has caffeine in it, right?

Lol, yeah. Though usually I prefer it pretty watered down compared to most.
Useful as a calming drink whenever I'm pissed off at work, or some ******* nearly ran me over trying to overtake me while I'm on my bike.
Kiibohd

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 05:01:28 »
I have to agree with HaaTa about caffeine (in the long term). In the short term it can help, but it's like taking a loan (against your adrenal reserves), and for those who rely on it regularly, it can be a loan which is never paid back in full, while maintaining elevated cortisol levels. I did some amazing (for me) ~9 mile runs on the original ripped fuel back in the day (it was an ECA stack).

Sugar+fiber+water+vitamins=happy and energetic=whole fruit

You don't have to worry about spiking blood sugar (due to the fiber), you are hydrated, and caloric density isn't too high.

HaaTa, what part of North America are you going to be in? (I'm a roadie too :)
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 06:10:58 »
I drink maybe 2 glasses of orange juice a week max. And then I usually add some water to make it a little less sweet (unless it's fresh).

Otherwise, I subside on coffee, water, tea and beer. Oh, and home-made ginger beer.
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 06:52:20 »
aHH!! home made ginger beer!! nice! love it too, i've stopped drinking soda completely {for fear of becoming diabetic} >_>

i drink a lot of water and the occasional iced tea drink, orange juice, cranberry and apple.
i think im addicted to drinking water though... if there is such a thing.. O_O
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 07:07:35 »
I drink plenty of fermented grape juice and barley juice seasoned with hops.  I also enjoy teas made from the fruit of coffee tree.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 June 2010, 11:17:14 by itlnstln »

Offline gr1m

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 08:08:06 »
I find 5 Alive way too sweet to be enjoyable. There's a brand in Montreal called Oasis and they make decent juices, they're my favourite.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 08:12:59 »
I haven't read through this thread, just responding to title...

I got a Blendtec for my birthday and have been drinking a lot of "whole juice" that you blend up the entire fruit seeds and all.  It's fantastic and much better for you than pasteurized (kills good enzymes) sugary crap you buy at the store.

You can make things you never imagined, you can even make soup in it and it comes out hot.

Vitamix or Blendtec blenders will do the same thing.  But the blendtec can blend an iPad.  :)

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 08:49:15 »
I like to drink ~10oz of orange juice (not from concentrate) and ~16oz of fresh ground coffee in the morning.  Coffee goes to ~19oz on weekends, when I have time to lounge around with a non-travel mug.

For a while I was drinking a can of pop every afternoon at work, but I stopped for three months and now I buckle my belt a hole tighter.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 13:35:51 »
Quote from: ripster;192031
5 Alive is no longer sold in the US.

I remember drinking it as a kid. I kept getting it confused with Haiwaii Five-O. I'd ask my mom if I could have some Haiwaii Five-O drink. I don't know why I'd ask for it because I hated it. I thought it tasted like laundry detergent with lime in it.
-

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 15:52:29 »
has anyone tried non-"tea" tea? like jasmine tea or chrysanthemum tea? pretty nice. used to be a coke addict until i tried Pocari Sweat (hehe) in Japan. Now I order that stuff every month.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 15:52:41 »
I'm glad there's evidence of PG Tips, but I prefer Twinings Chai (it's got cinnamon and ginger in it).

Drink far too much tea/coffee - peaked at 15 mugs a day about a year back.  Tried to cut back but that messed up my rather neat sleep patterns.  It's around 10 mugs a day at the mo.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline gr1m

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 15:56:22 »
Quote from: nads93uk;192186
has anyone tried non-"tea" tea? like jasmine tea or chrysanthemum tea? pretty nice. used to be a coke addict until i tried Pocari Sweat (hehe) in Japan. Now I order that stuff every month.

Pocari Sweat is awesome, I used to drink that stuff all the time when I lived in Dubai. Another foreign drink I want to try is Irn Bru.

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 16:15:21 »
Quote from: ripster;192192
Nothing like Pocari Sweat out of a Japanese Vending Machine.

Whoops, wrong pic.
Show Image

haha i saw plenty of those when i went, was freaked out at first, got used to it by the time i had to go.

Quote from: gr1m;192191
Pocari Sweat is awesome, I used to drink that stuff all the time when I lived in Dubai. Another foreign drink I want to try is Irn Bru.

Living in the uk, irn-bru is virtually everywhere, cheaper than most drinks, 35p for 330ml compared to about 60p for the same amount of coke. Nice and sour. (Y)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 20:14:59 »
Quote from: ricercar

Quote from: Half-Saint;191989
Irrelevant. That's like saying "Mexicans like tequila. If it makes them happy, I'll buy it and drink it." :)

Bzzt. Check your basic assumptions.

If you're half as clever as a saint, this is sufficient information to understand why it's relevant.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 20:46:48 »
My basic assumption was that you've got autistic children in your rather close immediate family...which is why no remark was made.

Whether you've said that directly in the past or not escapes me...but yeah.
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 20:57:20 »
Quote from: kishy;192306
My basic assumption was that you've got autistic children in your rather close immediate family...which is why no remark was made.

Whether you've said that directly in the past or not escapes me...but yeah.

Apple juice... it looks like piss, it tastes ungainly, rots your teeth, and it's not fulfilling.

My favourite juice is cranberry & orange. I used to really like orange pop too as a child, but I don't like pop anymore (and orange crush itself is a lot harder to come by now; most people are just interested in that diarrhea coca cola & pepsi, dark brown... they couldn't have chosen a better colour).

Five alive is nice because of the really intense flavours not found in other juices. The red five alive (berry citrus) is soooo good. I can't explain it. And yes, they do colour it with cochineals.