Author Topic: Canadian Gaming Blacks in Black G80-8200LPDUS  (Read 2487 times)

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
Canadian Gaming Blacks in Black G80-8200LPDUS
« on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 12:36:04 »
Cherry MX 8000 G80-8200LPDUS POS Keyboard w Card Reader $49.99 + nearly $18 [strike]****ting[/strike] shipping to states.

If it was cheaper, I might nab it, to convert my incoming beige NIB version with browns to black, but I think I'll just paint the case, when it starts to show signs of wear or something.  For someone who is looking to get a mechanical board for gaming, but can't afford a steel series 7G, Déck, etc. gaming board, this might be a consideration and you'll have way more extra keys.  You could always message the dealer and ask if they'd go down $10 on the price, but $13 more used to get things in black instead of new beige (plus those are sold out), isn't so bad.  If you want to raise the cost of your board, you could always pickup the cheapest board of browns you can find to turn it into po' mans cherry reds.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 June 2010, 12:49:20 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline gr1m

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 12:38:42 »
I rejoiced when I saw it was a Canadian listing but the shipping is $15, so we're no better off.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 13:05:56 »
$15 shipping sounds about right in-Canada for a keyboard. Toughbook CF-25 (3kg) was a bit over $20, BC to ON.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 13:47:32 »
Yea, depending on what kind of shipping and what keyboard, $10-$20 is fair, in general.  One should take into account these boards are like $250 retail and shades of white/beige are far more prevalent.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 22:02:56 »
Quote from: washuai;192451
nab it, to convert my incoming beige NIB version with browns to black

¿Huh? The HPDUS was browns. An LPDUS would be ... oh, I get it. CHange the beige case to black, not change the keyswitches. Duh.!
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 01:02:27 »
HPDUS was browns? I read that code as doubleshot keys, PS2, black, 120 keys, US layout? If you have one, then you are wiser, mind. A bloke something69? was selling one a while back, mentioned busted keys and asserted it was browns - so I am quite likely wrong.
Ugh cherry crazy.

Anyway, I think LPDUS means:
 L = Lasered (cherry's site confirms this board is lasered)
P = black keyswitches, since P,Q,S replaces A,E,F= black,brown,blue for PS2 vs usb...
D = 120? blind guess - but http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Dating+Cherry+keyboards doesn't have a code fer 120...
US = United States layout.

I don' have access to a mess of blue or red keyswitches - else I'd stuff them into something and be happy.
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 05:02:26 »
On the POS boards, at least, the second letter seems to mean nothing.  I've seen P or R boards with black, brown and clear switches.  The exact same model # (e.g, G80-8113HRBUS-2) can have any of the above switches.

Offline dfj

mrrr - so close.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 09:22:39 »
Grr - gamble, then.

It's just that I could go pick it up, they are kinda near me. 'Course, I think I have friends that are even closer, which would mean they could grab it for me, then we'd have an excuse to meet downtown for beer... :}

Any of you folks thinking of grabbing it?

I would feel guilty - briefly - if I snapped it from someone who wanted it.

PS: I'm an MX virgin, just think, mebbe it will have a mix of black and clear inside, and I'll be ignorantly dissing Cherries fer the next year. :)

PPS: Asked the seller to poke it and classify how it felt as 'feels clicky vs smooth' and 'sounds loud click vs quiet'. I'll be sure to get back to you folks if I get a response, though if it is clicky and loud, well... let's just say I have a lot of M's in my collection. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 June 2010, 09:34:48 by dfj »

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 10:36:40 »
Quote from: dfj;192717
Grr - gamble, then.

It's just that I could go pick it up, they are kinda near me. 'Course, I think I have friends that are even closer, which would mean they could grab it for me, then we'd have an excuse to meet downtown for beer... :}

Any of you folks thinking of grabbing it?

I would feel guilty - briefly - if I snapped it from someone who wanted it.

PS: I'm an MX virgin, just think, mebbe it will have a mix of black and clear inside, and I'll be ignorantly dissing Cherries fer the next year. :)

PPS: Asked the seller to poke it and classify how it felt as 'feels clicky vs smooth' and 'sounds loud click vs quiet'. I'll be sure to get back to you folks if I get a response, though if it is clicky and loud, well... let's just say I have a lot of M's in my collection. :)

Why not ask him to pull off a key?  Worst case, he'll say "no"...  

(Okay, worst case, he'll rip a switch out of the PCB and toast the board- but I've pried plenty of keys off Cherry boards using a butter knife or the like and not hurt one yet...)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 19:05:07 »
Both of my G80-82xx HPDUS are 2-shot browns. I have kohan69's 8200HPDUS as a brown donor board, and my originally NIB 8200 clone (G80-6995HPDUS).
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline dfj

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 19:15:12 »
Browns are fine by me... I'll not be so very excited by blacks, however.
  I'll sell my father's grave for blues on a 120, mind. :)

dfj

Offline dfj

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 12:24:07 »
Ok, turns out the place is directly across the street from my neighbour's office, and they do pickup. Grabbed it.

If anyone was really hoping for it, and they are the first person to send me a PM in the next day or so, then I'll feel guilty and give a sweet deal on a 122 M, or a crappy deal and include a bolt-mod. :)

dfj