Author Topic: IBM 122 "Battlefleet" Club: For Battleships and Battlecruisers:  (Read 2561 times)

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
IBM 122 "Battlefleet" Club: For Battleships and Battlecruisers:
« on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 23:24:45 »
Just a place to bring glory (And lots of pics) to the oversized beasts from the 80's and 90's:

232710-0

I got my F122 from an ebay auction for around 200, it was in fantastic shape, and only had the most minor blemishes. It was largely cleaned up and restored, and all I had to do was buy an Orihalcon converter to get it up and running.

It's one of my two daily drivers now. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 January 2020, 21:30:00 by jacethesaltsculptor »

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Tactile

Re: IBM Model F122 "Battleship" Club
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 11:23:17 »
I'll play...
232752-0

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
Re: IBM 122 "Battlefleet" Club: For Battleships and Battlecruisers:
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 21:30:31 »
I re-tooled the thread while it's still early in it's life, I figure why not allow all battlecruisers and battleships, I can't imagine there's tons of us here.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline trojokid5

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 21:38:41 »
What’s the bottom one called? The gray one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 21:55:32 »

Mine or Tactile's?

Offline trojokid5

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 23:04:05 »

Mine or Tactile's?
Yours

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 06:04:58 »
Yours

That is a Unicomp M 122 with a few custom keys.

Offline trojokid5

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 12:33:00 »
Yours

That is a Unicomp M 122 with a few custom keys.
Thanks

Offline MMKB

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 12:48:35 »
 :thumb: I wonder when we can see custom keyboards with arrow cluster like this

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 19:57:33 »
:thumb: I wonder when we can see custom keyboards with arrow cluster like this

You know for as much as I love the "+ nav". Opinion online, with the exception of guys like me who like the older stuff, most people seem to really prefer the Inverted "T Nav".

I'm rather sad by that, as when I'm going through text, I think that the "+ Nav" is a lot more pleasant to work with.

I'd love to see more of this design with that nav, or a wave of overall larger keyboards. Mini is all the rage right now, perhaps the pendulum will swing otherwise in time.

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 09:05:48 »
I'm rather sad by that, as when I'm going through text, I think that the "+ Nav" is a lot more pleasant to work with.

I partially agree. I use my battleship and battlecruiser plus-nav frequently with the centre key being mapped to enter to speed up menu navigation and executing my command line history. I do, however, find it uncomfortable for playing games (such as Undertale) that force you to use the arrow keys with no in-game remapping offered. I simply resolve this by having a T-nav on my M50 especially for this scenario, although a toggleable AHK script that temporarily Enter->Down would also work.

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:45:52 »
...and finally, decent photos of my club members!
234006-0
234008-1

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 15:01:38 »

I partially agree. I use my battleship and battlecruiser plus-nav frequently with the centre key being mapped to enter to speed up menu navigation and executing my command line history. I do, however, find it uncomfortable for playing games (such as Undertale) that force you to use the arrow keys with no in-game remapping offered. I simply resolve this by having a T-nav on my M50 especially for this scenario, although a toggleable AHK script that temporarily Enter->Down would also work.

That's an interesting idea, map Enter to the central button on the + nav. I've stuck with Unicomp's suggestion to keep home there, and I've gotten quite used to it, but I wouldn't say it's the most efficient. You make me wish to poke around with that more.

...and finally, decent photos of my club members!
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Killer entries man. The battlefleet grows by the day.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 06:54:13 »

That's an interesting idea, map Enter to the central button on the + nav. I've stuck with Unicomp's suggestion to keep home there, and I've gotten quite used to it, but I wouldn't say it's the most efficient. You make me wish to poke around with that more.

I do a lot of Excel, so I decided to put Scroll Lock there. I realize it may not be a god fit for others (or pretty much anyone else), but as things go for me, it's perfect!

I'll be shooting a picture of my F122 to post here, but first I need to decide whether to keep its OG caps or put in the APL set.

Offline -Space-NATO-

• Love Cats and old keyboards.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 07:15:42 »
This is the trunk of my car right now!

IBM Model F XT        IBM Model M          IBM Model M122     Leopold FC980M

Online yui

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 07:31:08 »
M or F? and if you have too many, i guess plenty of peoples (me included) would be plenty happy to help you get rid of the extras :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline -Space-NATO-

• Love Cats and old keyboards.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 08:49:36 »
M or F? and if you have too many, i guess plenty of peoples (me included) would be plenty happy to help you get rid of the extras :)

All Ms! :blank:, I'll gladly help you with that, unfortunately i'm way south (globally speaking) so shipping to the US or EU would cost more than the keyboard itself :(

Please give that one a dignified death. It deserves so.

I Will! Poor Lad.

IBM Model F XT        IBM Model M          IBM Model M122     Leopold FC980M

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 21:39:08 »
I do a lot of Excel, so I decided to put Scroll Lock there. I realize it may not be a god fit for others (or pretty much anyone else), but as things go for me, it's perfect!

I'll be shooting a picture of my F122 to post here, but first I need to decide whether to keep its OG caps or put in the APL set.

I can't hate anything about APL on keycaps especially on a 122, they just look so good, and the crypticness really adds to a keyboard.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 21:39:54 »

I want to have that in the trunk of my car. Getting that many together here in the U.S. in this day and age would be a miracle.