Author Topic: DSI Big Font Keyboard thoughts  (Read 2663 times)

Offline aegrotatio

DSI Big Font Keyboard thoughts
« on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 21:12:04 »
I'm thinking of this keyboard.  The layout, despite the L-shaped Enter, is non-offensive to me.

What I'd like to know, for sure, is if this keyboard is clicky.  The data sheet doesn't really say.

Also, what does DSI really mean by "Advanced ALPS Mechanical Switches" anyway?  It seems to be thrown around and it's not mentioned in the data sheet for this board, either.

http://www.notestation.com/bigfontkeyboard.htm

Normally I just go by DSI's online information but at least one other expensive keyboard's information page and data sheet disagree as to whether they are Cherry or ALPS switches, so I want to know if anyone knows about this particular big font keyboard.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 21:51:02 »
Quote from: ripster;193517
These.  Simplified clickies.  

Couldn't get the DSI rep to open them up so I don't know what type.  DSI Rep is a scaredy cat.  I suspect Fukkas with a click leaf and some Yellow dye thrown in for Yuks.

Short memory, Ripster. Non-clicky, no click leaf. Linear with increasing force. Here's the thread where I posted pics of the switch and components.

I couldn't use this board for typing or gaming or even bludgeoning an intruder in my house. Honestly, it's in my donation pile. I'm just considering harvesting parts and tossing or just donating to my favorite charity who might appreciate it.

Even the green linears have a leaf spring which makes the force more constant. These yellows are terrible. Not recommended at all.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 22:02:38 »
I suck. I should have searched better.

Thanks for the information.

If you want one of these, in the "Clearance Section" under "comfort combo" has this board and a backrest for cheaper than the keyboard by itself in the clearance section.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 23:31:10 »
Ooooo keycaps I can actually READ!  It would be fun to have the alphanumerics for my Northgate, but I'd be afraid you'd all point at me and tease me for being blind and call me four eyes and steal my lunch money.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 01:07:56 »
Quote from: Oqsy;193551
Ooooo keycaps I can actually READ!  It would be fun to have the alphanumerics for my Northgate, but I'd be afraid you'd all point at me and tease me for being blind and call me four eyes and steal my lunch money.

PM me your address and I'll send you the key caps or the entire board if you want it. I can't guarantee how long the lettering will last, though.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 01:26:26 »
If Oqsy isn't interested in the large print kb, my bad eyes definitely are.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 04:09:47 »
For some strange reason I actually dig the look of the big font keyboards. And I pretty much use blank keyboards... huh, go figure =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Harry_Y

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 07:12:10 »
Quote from: Oqsy;193551

I like it as well,  I'm thinking about having my
Bi-Focal strength upped as it is. (Old age).

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 13:06:23 »
PM sent.  I hope you're in the USA or this might not be worth your trouble.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 21:17:10 »
I got the keycaps and I have to say I like it.  I put them and my freshly arrived ALPS Geekhack key on my Northgate Omnikey today.  There are no nubs on the F/J keys, but I can handle that as I've worn a few of them out over the years and have always gotten by fine without them.  I plan on doing some non-permanent cosmetic mods to the board before posting pics, but they ARE on the way soon.