Author Topic: [Review] TGR Jane V2 CE  (Read 20961 times)

Offline MMKB

[Review] TGR Jane V2 CE
« on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 13:35:24 »
Design

The Jane I ordered is a murdered out 2019 V2 CE with a multicolor steel weight. The whole kit looks really balanced and has zero QA issue. The keyboard has a minimalist appearance and some very interesting design details in the back. The textured carbon bottom plate matches nicely with the matte black case and the steel weight. There are three sets of screws and the screw holes are placed elegantly as well. The additional F13 key does break compatibility with other 80% PCBs. But once put together, the placement of the F13 actually makes sense because it leaves the left half more symmetrical. The F13 key also stagers the F row with Row 1 which looks better than when F1~F4 keys matches 2~5.

If you’ve been following the bike industry, SRAM’s flagship drivetrain XX1 Eagle AXS has the same "prismatic" steel cogs and lots of carbon parts. If SRAM ever made a finest keyboard it would be like this Jane. The triangular weight looks clean yet subtle and slides perfectly into the case. You do have to remove the weight before separating the top piece and the bottom piece. It's a less convenient way to access the PCB & plate but that’s not a bad trade-off.

(Pics from the Internet)

Build

- Hineybush thin H88 PCB x FR4 half plate
- Gateron Ink Black switches from NovelKey with switch films. Spring lubed with Krytox 105

A note for those who have the Hineybush PCB & plate combo: the plate could be so thin — quite favorably — that the keycaps sit slightly higher than the top case. I did eventually sink the keycaps by adding some thin stickers between the plate feet and the top case. That said, the half plate flexes quite a bit and makes the typing sound incredibly playful.

Keyboard aside, the batch of Gateron Ink switches I got have horribly loose metal leaves. This is a known issue: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102322.0. I had to reposition the leaves when lubing and stickering them, every, single, switch. Some switches even have ghost typing because of bent leaves so I had to dissemble the Jane to take the bad ones off. It was a waste of my time and I will never want to touch them again.

Overall I'm in love with the Jane and it will stay in my collections probably forever. Look forward to rebuilding it with the yellow Jane PCB and carbon plate. Again big thank you and congrats to Yuktsi for another successful GB!
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2020, 13:41:38 by MMKB »

Offline Chimera

Re: [Review] TGR Jane V2 CE
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 16:00:25 »
It looks great, can't wait to get mine.

Keyboard aside, the batch of Gateron Ink switches I got have horribly loose metal leaves. This is a known issue: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102322.0. I had to reposition the leaves when lubing and stickering them, every, single, switch. Some switches even have ghost typing because of bent leaves so I had to dissemble the Jane to take the bad ones off. It was a waste of my time and I will never want to touch them again.

That's super concerning. I have inks lubed up for my build but I might just toss them and get maybe fei r2s (or regular gat yellows, I guess) since I've seen people reporting issues with zeal switches now too. I could use some vint blacks I have too I suppose.

I've seen the official ink stance from vendors is "within spec" but there always seems to be some issue from what people say.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 16:17:55 »

That's super concerning. I have inks lubed up for my build but I might just toss them and get maybe fei r2s (or regular gat yellows, I guess) since I've seen people reporting issues with zeal switches now too. I could use some vint blacks I have too I suppose.

Thanks. If you have invested your time lubing, I would just double check each one of them. If you closely listen to the key press and there's no strange metal noise or unexpected resistance from the leaves, the switch is probably fine. The leaves won't loosen up once you close the housing or solder them on. I hope Gateron/NovelKey would retool the Ink switches. They are pretty smooth otherwise.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 18:39:38 »

Thanks. If you have invested your time lubing, I would just double check each one of them. If you closely listen to the key press and there's no strange metal noise or unexpected resistance from the leaves, the switch is probably fine. The leaves won't loosen up once you close the housing or solder them on. I hope Gateron/NovelKey would retool the Ink switches. They are pretty smooth otherwise.
Yeah I'm happy I bought a lot of a good batch! But btw it's not novelkeys its gateron themselves who need to retool the mold.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline yuppie

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 19:04:52 »
Great looking board and good writeup.

I wonder if the loose leaf issue could be solved by dabbing a small amount of epoxy on the bottom of the housing... Just enough to keep it in place...
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline MMKB

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:37:53 »
Great looking board and good writeup.

I wonder if the loose leaf issue could be solved by dabbing a small amount of epoxy on the bottom of the housing... Just enough to keep it in place...

Thanks! I think that would do it permanently. As long as the switches won’t sit higher than before

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 18:59:28 »
Thanks for the review :). Btw there is a review board where you can/should post reviews.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=139.0
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline MMKB

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 18:46:15 »
Thanks for the review :). Btw there is a review board where you can/should post reviews.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=139.0

Thanks. Looks like the moderator moved the thread after I requested  :thumb:

Offline Sniping

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 23:00:26 »
Good review man, I enjoy the bike reference  :p

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:42:01 »
Cool keyboard!

If SRAM made keyboards I hope it would be better than their hydraulic brakes (admitted - I'm a Shimano fan) :D

By the way, I wouldn't call the "prismatic effect" similar to how carbon fibre looks though.

(comment from someone who spent a ridiculous amount of money on keyboards already, but a LOT more on bikes - currently taking a break due to kids).

Offline MMKB

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 22:38:16 »
Cool keyboard!

If SRAM made keyboards I hope it would be better than their hydraulic brakes (admitted - I'm a Shimano fan) :D

By the way, I wouldn't call the "prismatic effect" similar to how carbon fibre looks though.

(comment from someone who spent a ridiculous amount of money on keyboards already, but a LOT more on bikes - currently taking a break due to kids).

Thanks! Same situation here  :D Shimano brakes have been flawless on mine for years but SRAM makes sexier cassettes.

Offline longtran

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 23:19:56 »
Have you got a chance to use the OG PCB from TGR? If so, did you manage to configure it with QMK or do we need another software?

Offline MMKB

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 13:58:22 »
Have you got a chance to use the OG PCB from TGR? If so, did you manage to configure it with QMK or do we need another software?

I still haven't used the stock PCB. I am on MacOS Mojave and couldn't flush the stock ps2avrGB PCB. The PCB doesn't support QMK either last I checked.

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 10:29:16 »
Cool keyboard!

Thanks! Same situation here  :D Shimano brakes have been flawless on mine for years but SRAM makes sexier cassettes.

Can't argue with that! SRAM cassettes are super appealing  ;D.