Author Topic: Problem with GMK keycaps + gateron switch  (Read 7616 times)

Offline pitfermi

Problem with GMK keycaps + gateron switch
« on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 01:54:12 »
I have a problem guys. I have 2 keebs one with gat yellows(milk top black bottom bought at mykeyboard.eu) and one with gat ink reds(from kbdfans).
Using a gmk oblivion keycap set on the gat yellows causes following problem:
Pressing(and pushing outwards) any keycap on any of the 4 edges prevents the stem to slide down and is super annoying. I have epbt 9009 keycaps as well. I took a closer look into the cross plastic of the keycaps and the gmk appears to be thicker than epbt(ckeck picture). I would assume that this thickness is responsible for the problem i described, since that cross plastic slides inside the switch housing when the keycaps is pressed and scratches to the inner walls of the top switch housing. Using the gmk keycaps on the gat ink reds does not lead to this problem. The housings and stems seem to be the same size, yet this only occurs with gmk+gat yellows. Has anyone observed this effect? Im sure there is a way to fix this. Gat yellows are not lubed yet btw.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
Re: Problem with GMK keycaps + gateron switch
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 02:31:01 »
Cherry profile keycaps have problem with "north facing switch": https://imgur.com/gallery/s1MeXJ8
source: https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/8hn0o8/cherry_r4_keycap_rubs_against_northfacing_mx/

I don't use GMK keycaps, I use Cherry profile PBT keycaps.

Offline pitfermi

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 02:46:51 »
Cherry profile keycaps have problem with "north facing switch": https://imgur.com/gallery/s1MeXJ8
source: https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/8hn0o8/cherry_r4_keycap_rubs_against_northfacing_mx/

I don't use GMK keycaps, I use Cherry profile PBT keycaps.

Thats not my issue here is it? Mine doesnt even start to press. And my board is south faced, like in the picture, i have another identical configuration with gat milk yellows.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 06:52:20 »
I don't experiment with different switches much but I did buy some Gateron blacks for a small board I built and experienced what you describe. I don't remember what caps I played with but in my case it just seemed like the opening in the top of the housing was just a bit too small. The cap stem would catch on the edge of the opening.

This was all a couple of years ago and I didn't investigate further 'cause I decided 40% boards aren't for me. I gave it away and have not been near a Gateron switch since.
REΛLFORCE

Offline pitfermi

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 07:14:27 »
I don't experiment with different switches much but I did buy some Gateron blacks for a small board I built and experienced what you describe. I don't remember what caps I played with but in my case it just seemed like the opening in the top of the housing was just a bit too small. The cap stem would catch on the edge of the opening.

This was all a couple of years ago and I didn't investigate further 'cause I decided 40% boards aren't for me. I gave it away and have not been near a Gateron switch since.

I like gat yellows more than gat ink reds. Gat ink reds are really smooth as are gat yellows. Its sad that they are the only ones that have this issue. Good to know that im not the only one. I will try to make a video demo of what i am experiencing

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 10:13:38 »
I know that old Gateron milky switches had trouble with GMK key-caps getting stuck because of a issue with the top housing. They are fixed since i didn't have trouble with my milky gateron reds on my old Canoe keyboard. So i am pretty sure you got a old batch of switches that don't do well with GMK caps.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline pitfermi

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 11:17:40 »
I know that old Gateron milky switches had trouble with GMK key-caps getting stuck because of a issue with the top housing. They are fixed since i didn't have trouble with my milky gateron reds on my old Canoe keyboard. So i am pretty sure you got a old batch of switches that don't do well with GMK caps.
thanks for your input. What is your source for gat milks? I bought mine from mykeyboard.eu and they just restocked them. I hardly believe its an old batch

Offline pitfermi

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 12:32:33 »
i tried to record the issue. you have to believe me. pressing the keycap downwards prevents the switch stem to bottom.. and its not like i can "carefully" press it in the center so it bottoms just fine, because when gaming you press keys fast..
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 12:34:16 by pitfermi »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 09:30:27 »
i tried to record the issue. you have to believe me. pressing the keycap downwards prevents the switch stem to bottom.. and its not like i can "carefully" press it in the center so it bottoms just fine, because when gaming you press keys fast..

I don't know what the issue would be then i never had issues with milky yellows,reds here is how it was on my Canoe. Only explanation i have that they must be old stock milky yellows revision 2.

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020