Author Topic: How many of you guys also prefer manual transmission cars?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline iri

Re: How many of you guys also prefer manual transmission cars?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 03:26:33 »
30 degrees is nothing here though.
Then your area should apply for a Guinness record.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 06:26:59 »
30 degrees is nothing here though.
Then your area should apply for a Guinness record.
I agree, surely that can't be :p . Almost everyone heavily overestimates slope. 30  is barely even passable on foot. They give out warning signs from 7% on.

Baldwin Street in Dunedin, NZ has a roughly 30% incline and was previous world holder. For reference:

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 06:29:16 by chyros »
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 08:18:03 »
I agree, surely that can't be :p . Almost everyone heavily overestimates slope. 30  is barely even passable on foot. They give out warning signs from 7% on.

Baldwin Street in Dunedin, NZ has a roughly 30% incline and was previous world holder. For reference:

Show Image

Maybe the city should look into applying for that record then, because I'm pretty sure it is steeper than that image. I heard a cyclist died once on it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 08:46:37 »
That is a concrete pavement with a concrete patch in it.

I can't help but wonder how they kept it in place until it hardened.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline bliss

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:57:38 »
It depends on the character of the vehicle. Manual transmission can be fun, but also frustrating when badly implemented (speaking from experience - the fun one in my example is an Italian hot hatch and it would greatly suck with automatic.)

For luxury vehicles on the other hand I prefer automatic, greatly calms down the experience unless you cross the Alps all the time. :D

And let's not forget paddle shifters and dual- and multi-clutch transmissions, where you also have a degree of manual control. Did not have a chance to try that yet. Would it not be fun to try Koenigsegg's Light Speed Transmission with Ultimate Power On Demand?
Because each gear pair has a clutch, switching from one gear to another with the LST simply requires simultaneously opening and closing the respective clutches. It’s like a dual-clutch that never has to predict which gear comes next; it’s ready for whatever the driver wants. Koenigsegg calls this ultimate power on demand, or UPOD. The goal is to put you in the optimum gear for acceleration without hesitation.

UPOD works by giving the driver two shifting options. Pull the paddle shifter back one notch, and you shift one gear. Pull it all the way back, and the LST downshifts to the ideal gear for maximum acceleration. It works with upshifts as well, putting you into the highest gear possible without bogging down the engine. A console-mounted shift lever performs a similar function.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 16:55:39 »
It depends on the character of the vehicle. Manual transmission can be fun, but also frustrating when badly implemented (speaking from experience - the fun one in my example is an Italian hot hatch and it would greatly suck with automatic.)

For luxury vehicles on the other hand I prefer automatic, greatly calms down the experience unless you cross the Alps all the time. :D

And let's not forget paddle shifters and dual- and multi-clutch transmissions, where you also have a degree of manual control. Did not have a chance to try that yet. Would it not be fun to try Koenigsegg's Light Speed Transmission with Ultimate Power On Demand?
Because each gear pair has a clutch, switching from one gear to another with the LST simply requires simultaneously opening and closing the respective clutches. It’s like a dual-clutch that never has to predict which gear comes next; it’s ready for whatever the driver wants. Koenigsegg calls this ultimate power on demand, or UPOD. The goal is to put you in the optimum gear for acceleration without hesitation.

UPOD works by giving the driver two shifting options. Pull the paddle shifter back one notch, and you shift one gear. Pull it all the way back, and the LST downshifts to the ideal gear for maximum acceleration. It works with upshifts as well, putting you into the highest gear possible without bogging down the engine. A console-mounted shift lever performs a similar function.

I don't know that I have ever driven a luxury vehicle, unless a 1990s Buick counts? lol. Can't form an opinion on that one. Why is it that luxury vehicles, in particular, may not be enjoyable with a manual transmission?

That Koenigsegg transmission is interesting, but it seems to just be cheating even more than regular paddle shifters. Are there any paddle shifters that work in conjunction with a clutch pedal? I suppose of all of that type, I would probably prefer the Koenigsegg setup, as opposed to screwing around with repeatedly pulling levers for a single spurt of acceleration, but I can't imagine I wouldn't still infinitely prefer a stick shift. I have never driven a car with shifters of that sort though either.

Offline bliss

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 13:51:28 »
Are there any paddle shifters that work in conjunction with a clutch pedal?

I suppose the shifter is similar to this sick push/pull paddle :p

Real driving though - still remember the footage from the '90s:

It's a keyboard thing - appreciation of a proper mech human-machine interface :thumb:

Offline psxndc

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 21:22:29 »
My family growing up only owned manual cars. The only two cars I've ever bought that were automatics were those I shared with now-exes that refused to learn a stick. My current car is a manual and the only way I see ever giving up on manuals in the future is if I switch to an electric car.
Ortho. Always.