Author Topic: Unicomp quality question  (Read 4538 times)

Offline modulationz

Unicomp quality question
« on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 18:08:07 »
I recently purchased a Unicomp SpaceSaver keyboard (Black with metallic gray).  When I received the keyboard, the keys already appear to have a "shine" to them, almost like they have been used for a while.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Offline In Stereo!

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:00:39 »
I obtained an NIB Customizer 101 a few years ago and it still does not have that shine, you speak of. I'd think it is not normal. You could post some pictures, though.

Offline spolia optima

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:21:25 »
how dare you call unicomp's quality into question
keyboards!

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Unicomp quality question
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 04:14:18 »
I would unfortunately have to say without a picture there are just too many variables that could be at play here. Some from the very silly and obvious to the complex and mysterious....oooooo =D
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline aegrotatio

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:06:47 »
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline chimera15

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:19:13 »
Right!! That's how to sell a keyboard! lol  What keyboard is that? It's even red and black like I like, with nkey rollover too huh?
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline British

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:34:03 »
Here goes what google pointed me to...

Offline bionicroach

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 12:11:52 »
OP: When was your SpaceSaver manufactured?  I have the exact same board as you, manufactured 5/3/2010, and I have no issues with the keys or anything else about the build quality overall.  If I was going to nitpick, the only thing that bothers me is that the status LEDs under the logo are just slightly off center from the holes in the case that they shine up through.  The Unicomp logo panel burns my eyes anyway, so I just try not to look at it.  Other than that, it's a great board for the price.

Offline aegrotatio

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:26:00 »
Thanks for pointing out that dimply mold shrinkage problem with their surplus blank caps.  I'll save $20 by not buying blank keys when I order my new Unicomp Space Saver.

Could this be what prevented them from printing legends on the caps in the first place?
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Unicomp quality question
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:31:53 »
Quote from: bionicroach;194356
If I was going to nitpick, the only thing that bothers me is that the status LEDs under the logo are just slightly off center from the holes in the case that they shine up through.

I've seen this on 'real' IBM Model Ms too.

Quote from: aegrotatio;194408
Could this be what prevented them from printing legends on the caps in the first place?

Nah, it's a bit more complicated than that. The technology used to print legends on their beige/white caps doesn't work for printing white letters, so they had to use pad printing (i.e. the same style of printing you see on most modern rubber dome keyboards) but they had serious wear issues, so they stopped making keyboards with black keys. They have a big stock of black keys left over though so they sell them to those who want them.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Unicomp quality question
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 16:04:42 »
Quote from: ripster;194295
Happy to oblige.
Show Image

I wouldn't buy that keyboard because I hate creepy Chinese people.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline sethstorm

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 16:16:20 »
Quote from: modulationz;194049
I recently purchased a Unicomp SpaceSaver keyboard (Black with metallic gray).  When I received the keyboard, the keys already appear to have a "shine" to them, almost like they have been used for a while.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Yes.  Despite it appearing to have a Twilight sparkle to them, that's how they come from the factory.
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline modulationz

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:55:29 »
The defect was difficult to photograph (i.e. Either the flash would saturate out the pic, or the pic was too dim without flash).

Offline modulationz

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:58:22 »
Quote from: ripster;194289

...  A bit of what the chinese call "PBT Shrinkage" ...

Maybe this is what I am seeing?

Offline Brinson

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:12:02 »
The unicomp black and gray keyboards actually are a metallic gray with something like glitter mixed. Looks odd, but...neat, I think, anyway.

Offline EverythingIBM

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 21:21:00 »
Yeah, see, when they mold the plastic into shape, and don't inject enough, it kind of shrinks down, and causes that weird shiny distortion. It's also prominent in spots where the plastic is injected from.

Don't worry about it.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline In Stereo!

Unicomp quality question
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 03:04:06 »
Quote from: ripster;194348
Back to topic the only Unicomp keys I find annoying are the Blank Blacks.  As you can see the "PBT Shrinkage" (what the Chinese forum called it) is pretty apparent because of the black color.  Although it's also there on IBMs you just can't see it as well.

O have the same thing on a new black Cherry G80-1800, but not on the white G80-3000. And I don't mean that it is less noticable on the white keycaps, the shrinkage is actually not there. The black and white keycaps are on two different quality levels. :<