Author Topic: Recommendation/looking for new Board  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Sprite

Recommendation/looking for new Board
« on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 04:08:36 »
Hello everyone reading this  :D

I'm creating this Topic because I'm looking for a new Mech which I want to use for several Years. So far I only bought pre build Boards but I was never really satisfied with them.

List of Boards I already owned:

Cherry G80 3000
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue)
Ducky One
Logitech G610 (Browns)
GMMK (Kailh Box Browns) and currently in use

I had to replace every one of them after few years of use. Thats why I'm thinking of doing a Custom Build. But since there are so many Cases/PCB's I need some help from you Guys!

My Requirements:

Quiet when typing
somewhat "heavy" so no Plastic Case, but I'm not sure if Aluminum is better or maybe Acryllic? I think Aluminum enhances the sound level?
If possible Lighting, no need for RGB just White would be fine
TKL or Fullsize (Availability is bad for Fullsize?)
Regarding switches: I really like tactile switches except for the Kailh Browns I currently use. They have almost no bump and are waaaay to loud for me. So maybe Zilents? Or any other Recommendation?
I will decide on Keycaps once I figured out the "base" build.
I'm clueless on a PCB

Since I'm from Germany I'm used to ISO Layout but I can live with ANSI aswell. But the Problem with ANSI is that it doesnt provide "Ü,Ö,Ä. But maybe I can solve that Problem with editing the PCB Firmware? I'm not sure if thats possible so maybe you can help me with that aswell :)

I'm willing to spend around $300 maybe more. Is a custom Build possible with my Budget? Or should I look for pre build Boards?

If you have any further Question pls ask them, I'm sure i forgot some Important things :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 January 2020, 13:28:28 by Sprite »

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
Re: Recommendation/looking for new Board
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 14:10:33 »
A clarifying question I'd like to ask as well to help others provide recommendations:

Could you go through the list of keyboards you previously owned and explain why each didn't fit the bill? Or did they all break?

This will help narrow down recommendations.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Sprite

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 14:43:30 »
First of all - thanks for the reply! :)

Cherry G80 3000 (MX Black) - I dont like Black switches. The 60cn is just too much.
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) - Liked the feedback of the Blues but couldnt stand the click.
Ducky One - Cant remember the switch Type but were probably Browns. This one broke after a short time. Some Switches just died.
Logitech G610 (Browns) - Lighting died, Keycaps broke aswell.
GMMK (Kailh Box Browns) and currently in use.

The GMMK i currently use is not bad. But I dont like the Switches at all. I didnt test them and thought they would be like Cherry Browns. But they are too loud compared to the Cherry Browns and i dont feel the tactility at all - even worse than cherry.

So thats why I'm thinking of  building my first Custom Board. Soldering should be no Problem for me. But like I said.. there are so many choices and I dont know why I would pick one Board over the other.

I would love to get some recommendations :)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 21:00:32 »
Sounds like you like smooth, tactile switches. In that case, I would recommend Durock T1. A good alternative to the expensive Zealios, these will be smoother than Cherry MX Brown, while still being more tactile.
I suggest you look on KBDfans for some DIY kits. Here is their website. I think they offer fullsize as well as TKL. Fullsize will probably be the 1800 layout, though.
https://kbdfans.com/

Here are the T1 switches. I recommend you get the 65g weighting.
https://www.primekb.com/products/tactile-switches?variant=20237356171360
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Sprite

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 05:27:38 »
Sounds like you like smooth, tactile switches. In that case, I would recommend Durock T1. A good alternative to the expensive Zealios, these will be smoother than Cherry MX Brown, while still being more tactile.
I suggest you look on KBDfans for some DIY kits. Here is their website. I think they offer fullsize as well as TKL. Fullsize will probably be the 1800 layout, though.
https://kbdfans.com/

Here are the T1 switches. I recommend you get the 65g weighting.
https://www.primekb.com/products/tactile-switches?variant=20237356171360

Thanks for the reply.

Yes Smooth and tactile would be great. That's why I am considering Zilents 62g/65g. They sound great in my opinion.

Regarding the Keyboard itself - The KBDfans Kits look interesting. But I did some research and they are more of an "entry level" Custom. Is that correct? If so what would be a step up to the KBD ones, in regards to overall Build Quality?

Oh and I decided against Fullsize because there are almost no kits out there. So TKL or similiar is fine, as well as Ansi without ö,ü,ä.