Poll

Do you use the right hand shift to type?

es
39 (68.4%)
o
18 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Do you use the right hand shift key?  (Read 13258 times)

Offline chimera15

Do you use the right hand shift key?
« on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 01:23:55 »
It occured to me, since I never took a typing class that I might be typing completely wrong.  For instance I never use the right hand shift, and never use my pinky finger except to shift with. Is this incorrect?
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline British

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 01:34:56 »
That poll could use some more granularity, like "occasionally", and that would be what I'd vote.

The few times I use it involve my right hand being busy (mouse or whatever... but not *that*, dirty you) and having to shift on stuff on the right side of the keyboard.

Doesn't happen every day, but happens.

And yeah, I don't really use the caps lock.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 01:40:12 »
I just mean in normal typing.  This poll occurred as a result of a conversation about layouts where someone said the proper way to type was to use the right hand shift key...  It never even occurred to me.  I always thought the right shift key on a keyboard was useless, or for lefties or something...but then I got to thinking, maybe it's properly used when you capitalize A's Z's and Q's for instance.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:09:57 »
I don't use shift keys, lol! If I do for a rare occasion, it's the left one.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:16:29 »
It depends on which keys we're talking about. I have a tendency to use only my left hand for C and V keys and I think that's because I'm so used to using those as cut and paste shortcut commands.

The other factor is the speed that I'm typing at. Just as I was typing that I usually use the "C and V" keys mostly with my left pinkie, I was typing it fast and I typed it correctly. If I'm taking my time, I'm more likely to get lazy and just use my left hand, but if I'm typing with any speed at all, I guess my original training takes over and I alternate the shift because my fingers recover faster for the next keystroke. It pulls my fingers out of position too much to one hand a shift+key action.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:19:01 »
i use the superfluous shift key
keyboards!

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:19:02 »
The problem is that US keyboards have asymmetrical stretches to the shift keys. It's no wonder you learn to use the easymode one all the time instead of typing properly.

The real solution is to extend the right hand shift to where the / key is (so both shift keys are easymode), but that is too drastic a change for most people.

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:24:51 »
No - the real solution is NOT to mess up yet another key in the name of US laziness! Everyone else manage to type just fine with the VK_102 key for instance, so this is solely a matter of silly americans.
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:30:36 »
I never really thought much about that the right shift is a slightly longer reach. It doesn't bother me at all that it's a slightly longer reach than the left shift.

I've written a number of times about how important it is to learn how to "hover" your fingers and dance up and down rows quickly so you don't get confused the second one of your hands leaves the home row. Once you can hover effectively, I don't think any of the keys will feel like it's too far.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 02:58:54 »
Hover-crafty.
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 04:11:33 »
I voted yes. Why? Because it's true =P

I use both right and left shifts often, but here is the funny catch...

I use the right shift for things on the left side and some on the right side, and I use the left shift for some things on the right side and some on the left side.

I learned how to touch type properly (supposedly) but over the years I have found it somewhat convenient to get used to this because I find it quicker.

here is a short quick example lets say-

right shift pinky and QAZ...
left shift pinky and }"?...

However when I am going fast I tend to now do something like this-

right shift pinky and }"?...
left shift pinky and QAZ...

Basically whenever possible I keep things on the same hand, which may be the left or right at any given moment.
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 04:13:54 »
Clack, you're actually supposed to alternate the key hand and the shift hand so your wrong way example was actually the right way and vice versa.

Now that I'm paying more attention to how I'm using the shift keys, I find that I'm adjusting often on a case by case basis depending on which key is coming up next.

For example, to type the word Win it's likely to be LSHIFT+W - i -n

but if the word is Wean it's RSHIFT+W - ean

because in the first example, it's an alternating hand example and in the second, the first three letters are all struck with the left hand so it's harder to recover from having your left pinky tied down holding the shift key and reaching for the "w" key.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 04:17:03 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline Viett

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 04:24:30 »
Both shifts FTW. I also use Caps Lock for short acronyms, so for "FTW" I used the Caps Lock. Eat that Caps Lock haters: the way it's supposed to be done.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 04:29:59 »
My main use for right shift is to get question marks... I dont think I use it all that much otherwise.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 04:52:50 »
Hmm... Thinking about it, I use the right shift more than I thought. Most of the time actually. I'm not left-handed, and my technique is truly awful, but I can type the way I do for hours without a problem, and at a decent rate of speed.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 05:09:15 »
I never learned how to touch-type properly, but some scheme for typing has stuck in my fingers anyway. I can't remember which finger I use for what: I have to observe myself typing to find out which hand and finger I use for different keys.

I found that I use Right Shift for the keys to the right of the numerical and alphabetic keys, but I still use left shift for the three alphabetic keys with diacritic marks that are special for Swedish.
Otherwise, I use Right Shift and Control in combination with cursor keys and Home/End/PgUp/PgDn.
🍉

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 05:50:28 »
Quote from: InSanCen;194191
Hmm... Thinking about it, I use the right shift more than I thought. Most of the time actually.

It's always really interesting when we have to stop and think about something that's totally automatic to us. I'm sure more than one person had the same experience as I did earlier in saying one thing and realizing as I was typing it that I was doing the other.
-

Offline chimera15

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 05:54:11 »
This is really interesting. ;)
Alps boards:

Offline glo

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 05:55:37 »
Yes I do use it often.
In fact, I use the right Shift for keys pressed with the left hand, and left Shift for keys pressed with the right hand. It only makes sense.

Offline unicomp

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 05:58:23 »
How is one supposed to to a capital "A" without the right-hand shift? Without the right-hand shift one must move the left-hand out of the home position, a superfluous move, in my opinion.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:02:52 »
Quote from: unicomp;194202
How is one supposed to to a capital "A" without the right-hand shift? Without the right-hand shift one must move the left-hand out of the home position, a superfluous move, in my opinion.

Well, as others have said, my hands float.  I move my pinky to the shift and my ring finger to QAZ keys, the same as WSX  I suppose it might actually slow me down than if I pressed the right shift. Might be one thing holding me back from the top speeds 160wpm+.  I hadn't even thought about it till I posted my layout that was missing the right shift since and it was pointed out by Kishy that he used it all the time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:06:42 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline unicomp

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:06:02 »
Quote from: chimera15;194204
Well, as others have said, my hands float.  I move my pinky to the shift and my ring finger to was keys.  I suppose it might actually slow me down than if I pressed the right shift. Might be one thing holding me back from the top speeds.  I hadn't even thought about it till I posted my layout that was missing the right shift since and it was pointed out by Kishy that he used it all the time.

Well, I suppose that the act of touch-typing is not simply a single system; it might actually be more efficient to use a system similar to that which you are mentioning; however I find it is most comfortable to use the right-shift.

Offline randku

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:19:39 »
I've actually been considering modding my keyboard to use the left half of the spacebar as a shift key, as my left thumb does absolutely nothing while typing, and I've never liked the placement of the shift keys. Am I alone in this?

I use both shift keys, but I seem to use the left shift for the right hand keys, AND all the keys pressed by my index finger on my left hand.
The right shift is used for my left pinky, ring, and middle fingers.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:21:03 »
Quote from: DreymaR;194166
No - the real solution is NOT to mess up yet another key in the name of US laziness! Everyone else manage to type just fine with the VK_102 key for instance, so this is solely a matter of silly americans.

The REAL solution is to fix the problems. Put both Shift keys in easy reach and include the ISO/VK102 key.

We don't need huge Shift or Enter keys. We just need them in the right place so we don't need to stretch for them, hence we don't need a big target.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:35:31 »
Quote from: Rajagra;194213
We don't need huge Shift or Enter keys. We just need them in the right place so we don't need to stretch for them, hence we don't need a big target.

I think that won't work so well in practice because as we're finding out, most of us here drift back and forth between the "proper" method and the one handed method depending on the situation. A small SHIFT key would only be easy to reach under the "proper" method. For example, if I wanted to hit SHIFT-A using a one handed method, it helps to have a bigger shift button so my left hand can drift to a more comfortable reaching position for a one handed press.

In the case of a one handed SHIFT-A, the finger that normally hits A is busy holding down the SHIFT key and you'd use your ring finger so you need to slide over more.

Ugh, and noooooo noooooo nooooo Win key in the corner left bottom position! That's awful. Nightmares! I'll have to ask Julle to find me some really bizarre way to commit suicide with a keyboard if that comes to pass.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:37:33 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:45:15 »
Haha, yes, I suppose you'd need industrial strength springs in the Win key if it was there. Could always have 2 Win keys beside the space bar and one Fn key on the far left, a Mac version would need to be something like that anyway.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 07:37:37 »
I do.  As a SQL jockey, I use _, +, (, ), *, >, and < quite a bit.  I use the right Shift to get to all of those characters.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 07:45:25 »
I learned to touch-type the official and proper way back in high school, which helped me no end in using computers. The idea of not having a right-hand shift key... is unspeakably horrifying to me. What else can I say?

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 07:52:09 »
Not on QWERTY, although I don't use the home row either.

I'm trying to learn proper home row + R-SHIFT usage on COLEMAK.

Offline jmpespxoreax

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 08:38:24 »
I use it all the time to create pipes. For example,

cat numbers.csv | cut -d';' -f2,3 | sort -n

find . -type f | grep -iE -e "*.cpp$" -e "*.h$" | xargs wc -l

It's much easier to use the right shift when piping.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 08:52:58 »
I use it all the time and it doesn't seem hard to reach.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:18:31 »
There's a right-hand shift key?
I did take, and did very well in, a typing class and they insisted to use right shift for left-hand keys and left shift for right-hand keys, but I never use the right shift, ever.

Oh look, and it's literally the *widest* key on the ABS M1.

Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline chimera15

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:50:30 »
That's an interesting place for it, it preserves the t arrow... Is that a new pro hhkb? pro 3?  It's an English layout but still has kana printed in English? What is that?  Does that shift key position work even for people who use right hand shifts? Wouldn't that be ridiculously far to reach?
Alps boards:

Offline unicomp

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:50:31 »
Quote from: ripster;194325
I may use it but I resent the ENORMOUS amount of space it takes up on a typical keyboard - rather have arrow keys.

It seems to me that having the right-shift in the position given in the image (removed) would be poor. The position seems, from sight, to require a lot of movement of the right-hand in order to reach. There is no point in being able to reach the "up" arrow from the home position as it is most likely that the arrow keys are used together, and clearly the other arrow keys are hard to reach.

I would not be averse to having a smaller right-shift key, however one cannot just place it in some horrible position; it is a much more used key than some of the other strangely placed ones on most boards.

On the board in the image it might be better, in my opinion, to have the right-shift and the key to the left of the "up" arrow switched, however this is not great either as "_" is quite well used.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:57:41 by unicomp »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:54:23 »
That's the new hhkb pro jp version... They really went ridiculous with the layout this time. geesh.   It doesn't even have kana on it, what are they thinking...the hell.

http://www.pfu.co.jp/hhkeyboard/lineup/pdkb420w.html
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:58:22 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:37:49 »
Quote from: ripster;194344
?  What's the Kana button for then?

Normal Japanese keyboards can be put into a direct kana mode, where you press one button, and it'll produce a single Japanese kana, which is ususally composed of two or 3 western romanji letters.  It's funny that almost no Japanese person uses that method though and sticks with romaji input, then uses the kana/henkan key to change the text into kanji/katakana/hiragana.  

Apparently pfu has decided to abandon the classic input method where you can do that with a keyboard, since no pro Japanese keyboarder they know will use that method?  I don't know. It's still really strange for a Japanese board.  Usually the kana key would be in hiragana on a Japanese board as well, not romaji.  It's a really wierd board all around, I don't get how they're going to sell that thing, but then maybe it'll do well and it's some new design based on focus groups or something. lol
Alps boards:

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:45:16 »
Both. When the shifted key is being hit with my left hand, I use the right shift. When the shifted key is being hit with my right hand I use the left shift. For instance, when capitalizing "I" I use the left shift, but when capitalizing A I use the right shift.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:50:29 »
I used to use Right Shift for the Question Mark, but I've since adopted to using left shift for it and now I don't really use right shift for anything other than Shift+Del to bypass the recycle bin.  I can type about 80% of full speed with my pinky on the left shift key when I need all caps and have remapped capslock to another left Ctrl key with sharpkeys
Being able to do shift+anything with my left pinky frees up my right hand to more efficiently use arrows, navigation keys and numpad.  It might not be right but it works for me.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:52:39 »
Quote from: chimera15;194330
That's an interesting place for it, it preserves the t arrow... Is that a new pro hhkb? pro 3?  It's an English layout but still has kana printed in English? What is that?  Does that shift key position work even for people who use right hand shifts? Wouldn't that be ridiculously far to reach?

The key with the \ _ legend is probably one of the extra keys present on Japanese keyboards, with scan code 73. It could (should?) be remapped to work as another Shift key for use outside Japan. This wouldn't affect your other (non-Japanese) keyboards.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 20:46:01 »
Quote from: Rajagra;194458
The key with the \ _ legend is probably one of the extra keys present on Japanese keyboards, with scan code 73. It could (should?) be remapped to work as another Shift key for use outside Japan. This wouldn't affect your other (non-Japanese) keyboards.

huh? It's a backslash \ - key....  Notice the normal -_ key is actually an =_ key.  It's completely messed all the heck up.
Alps boards:

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 22:12:36 »
Quote from: chimera15;194515
huh? It's a backslash \ - key....  Notice the normal -_ key is actually an =_ key.  It's completely messed all the heck up.

No. It's a key marked \ _ that sends scan code 073 when pressed. (I believe.)

The layout is much the same as the Japanese layout shown here.

Based on the scan codes shown there, I think that if you plugged the Japanese HHKB into a computer running a U.S. keyboard layout, the keys would generate this:

So it's not as badly messed up as you might think.

I have no idea how the bottom row works though. But one thing is clear. It has plenty of extra keys over the U.S. HHKB, some already useful (arrows) and others ripe for reprogramming/doing clever AutoHotkey stuff.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 22:15:18 by Rajagra »

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 22:28:42 »
I damn near never use the left shift key.  I'm a right-shifter for life.  I'm not sure where this habit came from, but I'm guessing it's too many mishaps with a windows key or caps lock over the years, so I've just learned to use my right pinky for shifts and enters.  I don't really know what the "right" way is to type, but I do ok, almost 100% touch typing (except when I switch to some bizarre layout board, like the Cherry G84-4400 or something with a small backspace or non-horizontal enter key.  Anyway, I use left shift maybe three or four times a year for a macro in photoshop or something...
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 01:55:50 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;194302
There's a right-hand shift key?
I did take, and did very well in, a typing class and they insisted to use right shift for left-hand keys and left shift for right-hand keys, but I never use the right shift, ever.

Oh look, and it's literally the *widest* key on the ABS M1.

It is the widest key on a Filco (excluding space bar).  I used right shift to type Filco.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Kathy Marie

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 06:44:48 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;194436
Both. When the shifted key is being hit with my left hand, I use the right shift. When the shifted key is being hit with my right hand I use the left shift. For instance, when capitalizing "I" I use the left shift, but when capitalizing A I use the right shift.

This is what I was taught in typing class too.

And Hi everyone, I'm Kathy Marie and brandy-type new. :wave:
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 June 2010, 06:48:04 by Kathy Marie »
Gateway drug:  KeyTronic KT800 PS2GUS-C. 3 Model Ms; NMB RT101+ with black space invader keys (fixer-upper) Dell QuietKey, newest: BTC-5339SX with pink switches?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 15:33:23 »
I guess it's time for a welcome then :)

We don't have any fancy welcomes like "...and sorry 'bout your wallet" (Head-Fi style), but I guess that one equally applies here ;)

But on that matter of RShift, that's quite interesting actually. I honestly had to check when I use it, but it seems I do make use of it for a few keys on the very right, mostly non-character stuff (colon, semicolon, apostrophe, asterisk, accents, question mark).
The underscore is interesting, since for typing "RANDOM_CONSTANT" I'd use LShift (which is already in use anyway and keeps the left hand from moving around) but lowercase "some_file.ext" would make use of RShift (with the whole left hand moving over).
Another interesting part is that for some things on the right, like Ä, I make use of LShift while entering the letter with the right hand - makes sense though, as those letters would typically be followed up with others far more towards the left, so the left hand won't have to travel as far.

And yes, I'm a lefty with original IdiosyncraType[tm] technique (almost all left hand, right is mainly for nav keys, numblock and pointing rodent) and German layout. ;)

For regular typing, I tend to use whichever Shift is closest in all-lefty operation, but almost always LShift when I'm also using the right hand (extending to O-K-M or so).
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 June 2010, 15:35:58 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline imsto

• * Vendor
    • imsto.cn
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 20:16:22 »
I found I do never use the right shift ctrl alt, except when I need to press ctrl alt delt
imsto.cn
imsto's AiKB Taobao Shop
IBM Model M*3, IBM M13,M5, IBM with balls.Cherry   3000  3494 3700 4100*6 700*2 11900 8113 DAS4 TG3 KBC PokerDucky09Ducky1087 apple pink alps Ducky bull,tiger,rabbit,dragon version No:0000002

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 23:29:33 »
Ooops I didn't see the "thumb part".

I either use my left pinky for the left shift, or my right middle finger for the right shift. For some odd reason I don't seem to use my right thumb lol.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Kathy Marie

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 19:03:28 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;194754
I guess it's time for a welcome then :)

We don't have any fancy welcomes like "...and sorry 'bout your wallet" (Head-Fi style), but I guess that one equally applies here ;)

Thanks, Keyb_gr! :smile:  About my wallet, I'm hoping to learn to enjoy my keyboards more--many have the AT connectors.  There is so much good information here, I'm hoping there may be a way to use them and improve my typing instead of just collecting them.

Or...  maybe not?  Quote from my husband 2 minutes ago:  "OOO, LOOK IT'S A COOL KEYBOARD!!!  I already have 6, I need THIS one!!!"

Dang--I resemble that remark!
Gateway drug:  KeyTronic KT800 PS2GUS-C. 3 Model Ms; NMB RT101+ with black space invader keys (fixer-upper) Dell QuietKey, newest: BTC-5339SX with pink switches?

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 22:49:06 »
Hmm - feel like an alien on this thread: I use the left shift fer all the keys me right hand hits, and the right shift for the keys my left hits, from escape, diagonally down to 'b'.
 I think I am out of canon for 6 and ^ which I use me middle left finger for, on account of it being long enough to reach from home-row. Other keys seem to largely be hit by the finger one might expect from someone who had recently taken a touch-typing course. Thing being, I took typing 22 years ago - and I really couldn't care less where my fingers 'should' go. As the years went by, the keys ended up largely migrating to the expected fingers - but I din' start out typing that way. Used to be a long list of exceptions I preferred. I often sit with my keyboard under my monitor so I can't see my hands... thank goodness my M has decent nubs on the f, j.
  The only unexpected asymmetry I notice immediately is that I hit the space with my right more often than my left - and I hit it differently - my right thumb normally hits it at an angle, grazing it and relying on momentum to carry the space bar down, while my left hits it solidly and nearly bottoms out.

yup,
dfj
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 13:40:13 »
Quote from: dfj;195363
use the left shift fer all the keys me right hand hits, and the right shift for the keys my left hits

That's the way. QFT.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.