Author Topic: The Ultimate Alice Quest (I need help)  (Read 1053 times)

Offline BareSphereMass

The Ultimate Alice Quest (I need help)
« on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 01:16:25 »

I want to make the ultimate TGR Alice clone.  Hot Swap MX sockets, per-key RGB, underglow RGB, USB-C, maybe a rotary encoder, and maybe one of those mini OLED screens.

In order to accomplish this I started Learning KiCad and I downloaded FreeCAD.  I soon learned how hard making a good PCB can get.  If I could make a simple one that attaches to an existing Atmega32u4 (like the Elite-C) then making the PCB would be much simpler.  I would only have to make a PCB that lined up with existing cases and then attach it to the Elite-C.

Questions
Q#1.  What are the lined up and labled holes called, I cant find it in KiCad.  (see photos)
A#1.  They are called foot prints.
Q#2.  How do people line up their KiCad PCBís with their FreeCAD (or other CAD program) file.  How do you get screw holes and MX sockets to perfectly match?
Q#3.  Do you know of a good guide on how to wire up per key RGB LEDís?

What I have:
1.  Case files for a stacked case (.FCStd) (I think laser cutters will accept this)
2.  The .lib file for MX switches
3.  The .kicad_mod file for Kailh hot swap socket
4.  The .kicad_mod file for the diodes
5.  The .kicad_mod file for the Elite-C footprint

What I need:
1.  A wiring diagram that shows how to integrate per key LEDís into the matrix
2.  The .lib and .kicad_mod files for the mini OLED footprint
3.  Knowledge about how to line up the MX sockets and screw holes correctly in KiCad

https://imgur.com/gallery/sFcPPiz
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2020, 03:05:09 by BareSphereMass »
                I will fix the scale issues later... LOL    (Atreus 42 (hand wired), Anne Pro 2)

Offline piit79

Re: The Ultimate Alice Quest (I need help)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 02:01:05 »
I can't help with KiCAD as I'm a bigger noob than you - but also need to learn it, got a cool ortho board in the works ;

But for the per-key and underglow LEDs you want to use WS2812 compatible LEDs with integrated drivers. Those have 4 leads - Vcc, GND, DI (=data in) and DO (=data out). You chain them with DO of one LED to DI of the next. Therefore you only need a single digital PIN for all the LEDs. Well, two - one for underglow and one for per-key.

Offline theNestruo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 02:31:43 »
For the "lined up holes", check the library Connector_Generic and the footprints Connector_PinHeader_2.54mm. I think those are what you are looking for.
Also, check this repo: https://github.com/keebio/Keebio-Parts.pretty; it has footprints for many things, including the Elite-C.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the other questions; I'm a newbie too.

Good luck with your project!

Offline Applet

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 10:06:35 »
Per key led is often done with a led-controller like a IS31FL3731, there are a few supported by QMK. WS2812 compatible leds are much easier to implement on the PCB, but often used for underglow, not in switch leds.

I'd suggest starting by making a simpler keyboard PCB, not trying to do everything in the same PCB. Not very beginner friendly with per key RGB.

Offline BareSphereMass

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 11:38:29 »
Thanks for the input everyone!  If per key RGB is too hard I may just stick with underglow, but I want to at least give it a try before I admit defeat.

I still need to figure out how to line everything up.
                I will fix the scale issues later... LOL    (Atreus 42 (hand wired), Anne Pro 2)

Offline gipetto

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 12:34:15 »
it's said by some on the ai03 discord that usb 2.0 can't handle the power draw of underglow and backlight.

Offline Applet

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 14:59:23 »
It may be better to use a proper led controller for both underglow and per key rgb to prevent high current draw? They can strobe the leds. Project gets very complex then tho
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2020, 15:21:08 by Applet »