Author Topic: College computer science keyboard  (Read 11417 times)

Offline oldarney

College computer science keyboard
« on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:16:06 »
Help me find a good Computer Science student keyboard. I will be going to classes, maybe to the awesome library and I will be programing and doing essays.

This has been one of the biggest time eaters of my year. I have been looking for a good keyboard on which to type in for quite some time know. I am going of too college and I plan to get a computer science degree. I will be doing a lot of programing and a lot of essays. I am being given more MONEY then I need for a computer and I thought this would be a perfect time to look for a keyboard.

I have been looking at the
IBM Space Saver - $220

pros - Small,vintage,profitable
cons - noisy: not library safe, expensive

IBM workstation with the 24 function keys and 10 side keys - $20

pros - vintage, profitable, lots of buttons to program
cons - massive, heavy, noisy: Not library safe

Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Click "Otaku" $121

pros - small: libraryable
cons - expensive

CVT Avant Stellar $199.00

pros - lots of buttons, saves configuration on keyboard (retains custum layouts)
cons - expensive and ugly for a 2010 keyboard, white alps

I use a custom keyboard layout based on dvorak. Being able to save my layout on the keyboard should prove invaluable as I move around. As a programmer having macros is a great feature to have as well. On the other hand, my school has a 24 hour library that I would love to use with my keyboard. Although my laptop keyboard isn't that bad. The space savers are proving to be quite the collectors item on the other hand. I might not be switching computers as often as I think on the other hand.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:21:22 »
There's almost no keyboard around that allows you to program it's layout. Unicomp makes purpose-built Dvorak keyboards on request. These keyboards are, however, big and loud.

For the purpose you want, I'd recommend a HHKB because they are compact and quiet. Quite expensive though...

Offline oldarney

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:48:09 »
Quote from: ch_123;194214
There's almost no keyboard around that allows you to program it's layout. Unicomp makes purpose-built Dvorak keyboards on request. These keyboards are, however, big and loud.

For the purpose you want, I'd recommend a HHKB because they are compact and quiet. Quite expensive though...

Intriguing name. But Hardly hackish at all. They hacked the keyboard layout standard, doesn't mean the keyboard is for hackers.  The price made me take a close look at it. It doesn't have any programmable features at all. Its just portable. So much for a $300 keyboard.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 07:55:20 »
I think mean hacker in the sense of "Unix user".

Very expensive, yes, but they are great keyboards. Perhaps I'm slightly biased because I got mine for €100...

Offline unicomp

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 08:07:26 »
I would definitely not consider a buckling spring keyboard if I was going to use it in the library. Also note that the IBM buckling spring boards are quite heavy and therefore not necessarily the best if one wishes to transport the board.

Perhaps consider which switch is required and then consult the wiki to work out which board would be suitable.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 08:17:22 »
A brown cherry Filco could be the best thing here.

Offline unicomp

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 08:22:08 »
The Kinesis contoured keyboards have brown switches and thus would be suitable for work in an area that is supposed to be quiet. Also some of the models have the ability to switch between QWERTY and Dvorak so it might be possible to change to some custom layout. However these boards are circa $300 new if I remember correctly, and thus it is a similarly priced board to the HHKB, plus the function keys are not good which might be a bad point for some programmers.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 09:59:41 »
Hacking part of the HHKB is its portability and Unix-ness.  Its layout and topre switches are good on lowering RSI.  
Yes, the kinesis is programmable, but not nearly so portable.

Portability:  silicone roll up > HHKB > GeekHack Space Saver (Siig Minitouch) > Filco tenkeyless > Kinesis > Buckling springs.

Oh if you're going to allow noisy on this list, there is the Geekhack Space saver!
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:13:59 »
If you're going to take anything to a computer lab, take an HHKB.  Girls will think it's cute.  Geeky, but cute.*  If you take just about anything else, you will look like a total dork, and even I would refuse to talk to you.  If I go to meeting and take my laptop, I don't even bring my HHKB; I only tote it along if I am going to be doing a lot typing (more than just a meeting's worth).

* Don't discuss in too much detail why you like the HHKB (or even why brought your own keyboard, for that matter), or she'll think you're a dork. Don't let her use the HHKB, either, as she'll get totally frustrated with the layout and kick you in the balls, and she'll still think you're a dork.  I think ahead.  Neither has happened to me.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:27:05 »
Since yer in computer science, build your own.  Read a lot of the mod threads.  HHKB is your only solution if you want portability otherwise really.  The lights are a cheap option if you don't want to go pro, but they feel like crap to type on after a month or two, and don't last real long.

You might want to wait for the kbc guys to start selling kits, but who knows when or if that will ever be.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:30:43 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 13:47:21 »
Quote from: chimera15
Since yer in computer science, build your own.
Computer Science != Electrical Engineer. Only the very basics of circuits are touched upon in a CS degree. You're not going to get into diodes, resistors, etc. Typically you'll have a brief bit on logic gateways and such, but nothing too substantial. Of course, anybody can learn about the stuff needed if they desire, but it really has nothing to do with CS.

Quote from: unicomp
Also some of the models have the ability to switch between QWERTY and Dvorak so it might be possible to change to some custom layout.
The Contoured line from Kinesis is totally programmable and macroable. They're hardly portable though. Well maybe if you go around with a hiking bag... ;)

Offline oldarney

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:43:49 »
Quote from: ripster;194389
Computer Science != Science.

What is it you guys do again?  Whatever it is engineers do it better.

Computer Science people are programmers. Computer Engineers are electrical and transistor people. I looked at kinesis, I can't verify if I can configure every key, but it is definitely overkill. Incredibly unportable and non clicky.

Some thing about the kinesis tells me I could take over the world with that. Its so massive, it will sit in my dorm 24/7. With that said, its a pretty high keyboard on the list. I hear very little talk of brown switches though.

I should get more then one keyboard, that would sure dwell into my laptop budget.

Edit: I was looking at this review and Greg Smith said something I totally empathize with:
"I ultimately rejected that choice because it's just too different from the standard keyboard to be comfortable for me, and since I do have to balance my time with a healthy dose of laptop keyboarding I couldn't see myself ever really getting used to it."
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:51:02 by oldarney »

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:08:31 »

Having seen the programming abilities of a number of engineers myself... I question that statement. ;P Quite useful to team up with them though in robotics and such.

Quote from: oldarney
I looked at kinesis, I can't verify if I can configure every key, but it is definitely overkill. Incredibly unportable and non clicky.
 Outside of the program key, every other key is programmable. And it *is* clicky - kind of. Cherry browns aren't clicky in and of themselves, but the keyboard has a built in speaker which allows it to mimic a click every time a key is pressed. This is more than good enough for me when I want the auditory feedback, and I can easily turn it off if I want it to be silent. Best of both worlds!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:11:52 »
In my college, Computer Engineering = Dumbed down Computer Science

Offline pfink

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:23:23 »

That would depend on the engineer. When I was in school I made a nice chunk of cash doing programming assignments for engineering students. Nothing complicated, real basic entry-level FORTRAN.

If you can't understand simple programming constructs I wouldn't trust you to build a bridge.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 16:01:20 »
I'd just start with a plain old Model M and see how that does. They're cheap and easy to find. Who knows--you might even find some at your college.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline isp

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 16:45:48 »
I've only tried a hhkb so far, but I'd have to recommend it....very nice once you learn the layout.  It would be easy to transport to the library.
hhkb

Offline chimera15

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:03:33 »
It's not like a keyboard is a mainframe.  Everything you need to build from scratch or hack your own is in the mod section of this board.  It's not that complex. You don't need a computer science or engineer degree to do it.  Keyboards contain programming and hardware, so you can come at it from either side.  It's not like he has to build a chip.  Buy an ardiuno(sp?) or a teensy++ or something, program, wire the matrix(you can even get fancy about it and make your own pcb), get some switches, fashion a case/holder for the switches, use some basic soldering skills and you're done.  You'll end up with something you can be proud of in the computer science world, everyone will ogle over, probably even girls, and it'll cost you a fraction of what a hhkb will cost you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:14:06 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:27:56 »
Since you're talking about being portable to take into a library, that eliminates every option you listed.  You could however get a Majestouch Tenkeyless with Brown MX tactile non-clicky switches though.  But if you bottom out or type hard, you will still get booted out of a library setting before you finished typing your password.  Brown MX's have a hard landing that can be loud depending on how you type.

If the HHKB doesn't suit you or isn't mechanical enough for your tastes you're going to have to hack something up or go with rubber domes or a scissor switch keyboard.

A good option if you're willing to do some work is to find an Ortek or a SIIG Minitouch and swap Dampened ALPS switches into it.  I just did one and was very pleased with the results.  Neither stock will be suitable for a library.

SIIG Minitouch w/Dampened ALPS....  

1 - Portable - CHECK
2 - Libraryable - CHECK
3 - Mechanical/Tactile - CHECK
4 - Programmable - CHECK (via Sharpkeys/AHK only)
5 - Serious Bragging Rights to your classmates that you hacked your own keyboard - CHECK

If you really want to lug a big board around with you, get the Avant and swap dampened ALPS into it.

If you don't want to do a swap yourself, talk to me or Chimera - he's done quite a few things to SIIGs.  I happen to be selling some SIIG Mintouches (see GHSS) so I don't want to come across as being overly biased or selling you something, but based on your criteria, there just isn't anything that does it stock that is mechanical.  HHKB, Scissor Switch, Rubber Domes, or a Dampened ALPS hack are the only really quiet options.  I'm going to say that even Cherry Browns are just too loud for a library.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline oldarney

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:35:18 »
Quote from: chimera15;194428
It's not like a keyboard is a mainframe.  Everything you need to build from scratch or hack your own is in the mod section of this board.  It's not that complex. You don't need a computer science or engineer degree to do it.  Keyboards contain programming and hardware, so you can come at it from either side.  It's not like he has to build a chip.  Buy an ardiuno(sp?) or a teensy++ or something, program, wire the matrix(you can even get fancy about it and make your own pcb), get some switches, fashion a case/holder for the switches, use some basic soldering skills and you're done.  You'll end up with something you can be proud of in the computer science world, everyone will ogle over, probably even girls, and it'll cost you a fraction of what a hhkb will cost you.

Okay lets go with that. Say I got $300 USD for equipment and parts.

I want a keyboard with blue switches
it would have a volume rocker,
it would be wireless,
it would hold its own receiver in a usb port,
and would shut down once the usb receiver is docked.
The batteries would recharge via a retractable 1ft micro usb.
The reciever would include a micro usb port.
it would have a internal micro sd card memory bellow the battery.
two user configurations could be saved and switched on the fly
come preloaded with Dvorak and QWERTY user conf's.
Key speaker that rotates to change keyboard typing volume.
I would design my own layout to be around 48 keys.

that would take me optimistically a week to design and a month to build.

Edits: (crazy talk)
Automatic leveling via lasers, with motorized feet.
it would project an LED style display to your left with current config.
Say DROID once you plug the usb back in.
have pullies on all the keys so that macros are typed out mechanically and visibly.
Have a touch sensitive keys so that you can use all the keys as one lage track pad.
all the keys will be covered with Electroluminescent sheets, thus making them backlit.
have a red panic button with ballistic key ejection that blows up the keyboard in 5 seconds.

It would have wireless power from the usb conector
It would have dual helicopter pads on the bottom, so that it would float as you type.
In order to start the keyboard the enter key must be pressed, which is also a finger print detector
One of the keys could pop out and act as a mouse... booyah.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:49:08 by oldarney »

Offline Brinson

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 17:51:31 »
That sounds complicated, but if you end up building it, also awesome. Though I personally despise wireless keyboards because nothing is more annoying than losing signal or the battery dying and you suddenly can't type.

I'd reccomend you buy a Model M. I got two of ebay for $30, and they are amazing keyboards. They are loud, and heavy, and some people will think they're ugly, but...it will all be worth it once you use it for a month, then have to use a normal keyboard at the lab, and notice the difference.

Will you really be taking it to the lab? To me, that sounds like overkill. Why not just use your home computer? To be honest, lab PCs suck, because they slowed down by monitoring programs, the data is usually wiped every reboot which means any crash means your work is gone, usually food and drinks aren't allowed inside, installing applications you like can prove difficult or not allowed.

Like I said, I'd get a Model M. They're pretty cheap, they are amazing, they have a good following for repairs and modifications, and they're addictive as hell.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:17:09 »
Quote from: oldarney;194434
Okay lets go with that. Say I got $300 USD for equipment and parts.

I want a keyboard with blue switches
it would have a volume rocker,
it would be wireless,
it would hold its own receiver in a usb port,
and would shut down once the usb receiver is docked.
The batteries would recharge via a retractable 1ft micro usb.
The reciever would include a micro usb port.
it would have a internal micro sd card memory bellow the battery.
two user configurations could be saved and switched on the fly
come preloaded with Dvorak and QWERTY user conf's.
Key speaker that rotates to change keyboard typing volume.
I would design my own layout to be around 48 keys.

that would take me optimistically a week to design and a month to build.

Edits: (crazy talk)
Automatic leveling via lasers, with motorized feet.
it would project an LED style display to your left with current config.
Say DROID once you plug the usb back in.
have pullies on all the keys so that macros are typed out mechanically and visibly.
Have a touch sensitive keys so that you can use all the keys as one lage track pad.
all the keys will be covered with Electroluminescent sheets, thus making them backlit.
have a red panic button with ballistic key ejection that blows up the keyboard in 5 seconds.

It would have wireless power from the usb conector
It would have dual helicopter pads on the bottom, so that it would float as you type.
In order to start the keyboard the enter key must be pressed, which is also a finger print detector
One of the keys could pop out and act as a mouse... booyah.

Everything except the helicopter pads are doable.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:10371

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:7903&&do=comments&highlight=wireless+mini

Seriously though, my wireless mini took me in time to actually build less than a day or two.  It took me a while to actually work out everything, but I've already done all that for you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:32:57 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:26:48 »

Mathematicians start from basic principles, form complete theories and prove them conclusively.

Physicists observe a phenomenon ten times, conclude it always happens, then concoct whatever crazy theory supports that belief.

Engineers use rudimentary tools like hammers and screwdrivers to take things apart.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:29:12 »
Quote from: Rajagra;194448
Mathematicians start from basic principles, form complete theories and prove them conclusively.

Physicists observe a phenomenon ten times, conclude it always happens, then concoct whatever crazy theory supports that belief.

Engineers use rudimentary tools like hammers and screwdrivers to take things apart.

nice avatar.
Alps boards:

Offline oldarney

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:48:06 »
Quote from: chimera15;194449
nice avatar.

Final veredict, I am getting an IBM space saver for a couple hundred (the guy thats selling them on ebay has a lot and is making a killing) or the kinesis for 300.

Its so strange that there are no programmable ps2 adapters, that would for example, hold macros and key configurations.

I might just shove a ps2 querty-dvorak controller into the space saver.

As for the noise issue, there are different levels in the library, and rooms. Last time I checked there isn't a no typing policy. Screw the world.

Im having trouble figuring out the programmability of classic kinesis models which run for only 100 bucks on ebay.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:55:39 by oldarney »

Offline Brinson

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:55:06 »
Quote from: oldarney;194457
Final veredict, I am getting an IBM space saver for a couple hundred (the guy thats selling them on ebay has a lot and is making a killing).

Its so strange that there are no programmable ps2 adapters, that would for example, hold macros and key configurations.

I might just shove a ps2 querty-dvorak controller into the spac saver.

As for the noise issue, there are different levels in the library, and rooms. Last time I checked there isn't a no typing policy. Screw the world.

You can get the Unicomp Spacesaver for $69 brand new...Unicomp bought the rights and equipment from IBM and has been producing them exactly how they were before. I've never heard a quality complaint about them personally.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104bl.html

Plus, there's an option for black and gray, which looks badass.

Offline oldarney

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:58:42 »
Quote from: Brinson;194460
You can get the Unicomp Spacesaver for $69 brand new...Unicomp bought the rights and equipment from IBM and has been producing them exactly how they were before. I've never heard a quality complaint about them personally.

Thats what I thought. But they screwed up big time in the process. This is the real space saver

and this is unicomps bad copy:

Interestingly enough, IBM made a space saver II keyboard with a nipple and membrane switches in 2001.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:00:22 »
Quote from: Brinson;194460

Wrong kind of spacesaver, they don't have the good kind do they?
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:02:34 »
Quote from: oldarney;194463
Thats what I thought. But they screwed up big time in the process. This is the real space saver

Show Image

and this is unicomps bad copy:
Show Image

Interestingly enough, IBM made a space saver II keyboard with a nipple and membrane switches in 2001.

When you get tired of that one, or get tired of the hole it put in your wallet, or get tired of getting thrown out of the library, come back and build something that does what you actually want it to do. lol

Seriously though, you'd be better to go with a geekhack minitouch.  They cost almost half as much, are much quieter, and will be much easier to transport than that model m, which is still fairly large. Plus you can always mod them to different types of switches if you get tired of clickies.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:08:44 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline Brinson

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:08:10 »
I guess not. Its just the numpad different I see, really. I wouldn't give up my numpad for anything in the world. Having had to do statistics in college which included data entry in classes where I have to put hard data into cells for hours on end. Plus it works pretty well for gaming and other general uses.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:09:39 »
Quote from: Brinson;194469
I guess not. Its just the numpad different I see, really. I wouldn't give up my numpad for anything in the world. Having had to do statistics in college which included data entry in classes where I have to put hard data into cells for hours on end. Plus it works pretty well for gaming and other general uses.

Numberpads are superimposed on the board, on almost all tenkeyless/full compacts, so it's still there, it's just on another level.  I did statistics on a minitouch.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:12:11 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:11:38 »
"Space saving" <> "Space saver"

Offline oldarney

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:18:47 »
Quote from: Rajagra;194472
"Space saving" <> "Space saver"

The starting price on that is 180. Its not even that vintage... and I've never heard of tho company.

What I really want to know is if these keyboards are programmable like the new models (that is assuming that I can change the function of each key on the new models). This would be my second kb then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kinesis-Model-KB130-Ergonomic-Keyboard-New-/260618534680?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3cae133f18

Kinesis Model KB130 Ergonomic Keyboard "New"

Offline chimera15

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:21:50 »
You can program any key to do anything you want with autohotkey, sharpkeys and other script/software, on any keyboard, so any keyboard is programmable in reality.

Just get one of these:

http://5k177.com/more/

It's the best buy right now for what you're looking for.  Either that or go with a classic cherry ml switch compact, which can be found on ebay for $50 or less usually.  Those are ultra portable, and linear so they'll be quiet, but they relatively feel like crap to type on.

An overpriced one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHERRY-SLIM-LINE-COMPACT-G84-4100PTAUS-POS-KEYBOARD-/360121128527?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item53d8e4564f

Here's one without a housing for $40 lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cherry-G84-4100QXAUS-PS-2-Keyboard-without-Housing-/390198933809?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item5ad9ab3931

Here $25, buy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cherry-ML4100-CYA-Slim-Line-83-Key-POS-PS-2-PC-Keyboard-/200483722790?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2eadc2d626

Almost everyone on this board that likes compacts started with this board I think.  It's a not horrible mechanical linear compact for $25.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:33:09 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline Rusty Rat

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:25:33 »
Quote from: chimera15;194466
When you get tired of that one, or get tired of the hole it put in your wallet, or get tired of getting thrown out of the library, come back and build something that does what you actually want it to do. lol

Seriously though, you'd be better to go with a geekhack minitouch.  They cost almost half as much, are much quieter, and will be much easier to transport than that model m, which is still fairly large. Plus you can always mod them to different types of switches if you get tired of clickies.

I have a Spacesaver II, it is really terrible to type on. They just used the name -it is as comparable to the original Spacesaver as a Rolls Royce is to a Ford.

Offline oldarney

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:27:54 »
Quote from: chimera15;194477
You can program any key to do anything you want with autohotkey, sharpkeys and other script/software, on any keyboard, so any keyboard is programmable in reality.

Just get one of these:

http://5k177.com/more/

It's the best buy right now for what you're looking for.  Either that or go with a classic cherry ml switch compact, which can be found on ebay for $50 or less usually.  Those are ultra portable, and linear so they'll be quiet, but they relatively feel like crap to type on.

An overpriced one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHERRY-SLIM-LINE-COMPACT-G84-4100PTAUS-POS-KEYBOARD-/360121128527?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item53d8e4564f

Here's one without a housing for $40 lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cherry-G84-4100QXAUS-PS-2-Keyboard-without-Housing-/390198933809?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item5ad9ab3931

Here $25, buy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cherry-ML4100-CYA-Slim-Line-83-Key-POS-PS-2-PC-Keyboard-/200483722790?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2eadc2d626

Almost everyone on this board that likes compacts started with this board I think.  It's a not horrible mechanical linear compact for $25.

The difference is that such modifications are software side, while the CVT Avant Prime and the Kinesis advantage do things hardware side. This would be fantastic if they were portable, since I have a custom layout at home which I have to download and install from an FTP server.

My university has about 3000 terminals in a microsoft network which load your preferences, not sure if it loads your layout. Anyways, I have yet to see a small programmable, portable keyboard. without membrane switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:31:02 by oldarney »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:45:03 »
Quote from: oldarney;194482
The difference is that such modifications are software side, while the CVT Avant Prime and the Kinesis advantage do things hardware side. This would be fantastic if they were portable, since I have a custom layout at home which I have to download and install from an FTP server.

My university has about 3000 terminals in a microsoft network which load your preferences, not sure if it loads your layout. Anyways, I have yet to see a small programmable, portable keyboard. without membrane switches.

Yeah you're right. The compacts are limited.  But the original model m spacesaver isn't programmable either.  There are currently only a handful of portable/compact boards selling.  The only way you're going to get one is to make it yourself.   You could probably relatively easily take a programmable board, take the chip out, and use the method I used with my wireless mini/hhkb hacks to make exactly what you want.  Basically my method splices a chip and a keyboard together, so anything would work.

There are currently only a handful of mechanical compacts available otherwise.

Overpriced Model M spacesavers, cause these are the ones people mostly know about, and that's really the only reason they cost so much.

Siig Minitouch/GHSS's

And the cherry ml board.

Oh, and there are deck's, they might be a solution for you.

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=30

Deck's use cherry mx's right? I don't remember what kind, blacks I think, which are linear as well.  So it'd be relatively silent but probably feel about like the ml board but with a longer stroke.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:56:50 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 20:00:00 »
Quote from: oldarney;194482
I have yet to see a small programmable, portable keyboard. without membrane switches.

That just about sums it up. It's one of those horrible pick any two of three scenarios: programmable; small; quality switches.

Some POS keyboards come close to all three, but they also tend to have undesirable features like linear switches or the keys are in a plain grid layout.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 20:01:59 »
Filco Majestouch tenkeyless would be another option, which are programmable in some versions right?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_87key&pid=fkbn87meb
maybe not.  I'd take a filco tenkeyless over an ibm spacesaver though.

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 20:12:09 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 20:08:24 »
Quote from: oldarney;194476

What I really want to know is if these keyboards are programmable like the new models (that is assuming that I can change the function of each key on the new models). This would be my second kb then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kinesis-Model-KB130-Ergonomic-Keyboard-New-/260618534680?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3cae133f18

Kinesis Model KB130 Ergonomic Keyboard "New"
Show Image

I can't really say what the capabilities of the KB130 are seeing as how the manual for the discontinued models only reference the KB132/133. Still, I wouldn't recommend getting it for the programmable nature even if it does have it. The Kinesis is a not so insignificant change from the standard keyboard that you're used to using. The nonstandard design is what makes the keyboard worth it, but also what makes it take some getting used to.

If you're not interested in learning a new (and IMO, better) layout, then it's not worth even looking at. The programming / foot switches / macro / etc. are just icing on the cake. If you don't like the cake itself, then it's pointless. =)

Offline pfink

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 20:38:32 »
Quote from: Brinson;194469
I guess not. Its just the numpad different I see, really. I wouldn't give up my numpad for anything in the world.

Not having a numpad on the right side of the keyboard makes for more comfortable mousing for right-handers.

You can always hook up one of these when you need to input a lot of numbers:

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 02:08:06 »
Don't discount the kinesis just because it's too different.  You'll soon get used to it and you will still be able to use other keyboards.  More than a year later, I still love mine.

Why buy just one keyboard, when you could buy several?  I have 4 on my desk and I only use each one for half a day at a time.  You could get a keyboard for the library, another for home, one for classes, and so on.

Unless you build/hack it, you won't get what you want in one 'board.  I'd suggest hacking one and using that until you know the only way to get what you need is to build it from scratch.  Oh, and to post the results on the forum...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 02:55:17 »
Filco with browns is what I'd get.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 11:47:33 »
Quote from: Rusty Rat;194480
I have a Spacesaver II, it is really terrible to type on. They just used the name -it is as comparable to the original Spacesaver as a Rolls Royce is to a Ford.

The original IBM Spacesaver was...

Offline GenEric35

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 11:59:33 »
hhkb would be perfect, i program every day with mine, bought a spare cable that i leave at work, it's easy to carry, mine fits in a compartment of my lunch box, the cost is expensive but it's something i have been using for 6 months now and probably will for many years to come, only downside is I think i might have to sell my other keyboards
:target: HHKB Pro 2  
IBM Model M 1390131
Unicomp Customizer

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 15:07:42 »
Get the $20 IBM & the HHKB (or Siig minitouch = GHSS or Deck 82 fire, ice or TG3, or HHKB Lite).  Or get the kinesis + cheap portable (or cheap portable = laptop).

Portable, feels good to type on for hours, more female friendly, doesn't prompt people to smack you upside the head that want to sleep = HHKB.  ItlnStln & Rip, et cetera gave good advice.

The Siig minitouch / GHSS is the only other portable options with a good typing experience, plus you like clicky and I think with the green keys, ergo bag, it should attract attention of green/granola types.  It is going to be too loud, too retro and wtf for others, though.

The small Deck keyboards are all blacks, whether you find Fire, Ice, or TG3, but you might get fatigue on those, but you'll garner either cool or ugh, toy reactions.  TG3 looks more normal.

Do be picky about your laptop keyboard layout- there's barely room for the laptop in class and even a HHKB is serious weight/space in addition to laptop & text books.  I'd say only expect to use your portable when you're gonna type non stop for an hour or more or back in your room.

Yes, you're going for an education, but do plan for extracurricular activities or you're missing out.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 17:20:20 »
Most laptop keyboards are usable unless you have netbook. Even ****ty budget laptops have usable keyboards.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2010, 17:22:37 by ch_123 »