Author Topic: Realforce 103U vs. Filco Tactile Touch  (Read 2713 times)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Realforce 103U vs. Filco Tactile Touch
« on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 08:42:03 »
Your insanity has spread to me and I am considering buying a Realforce (just started a full time job and typing on a rubber dome all day....ewwww.)

I like my Filco Majestouch Tactile Touch Otaku NKRO quite a bit, but I've never tried Topre switches.

Any advice? If I go with Topres, it'll definitely be a Realforce, I can't deal with the HHKB layout (besides, I love my numpad).

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 08:59:07 »
Well, there's always tenkeyless Realforce or HHKB + numpad, so you can buy a numpad that costs more than many full boards.

I'm kind of in the opposite boat.  I need a tenkeyless, for work, possibly with separate number pad.

So it is for work, so variable black or variable white/grey?  Or all 55g?  Assuming EKB is where yours will be from.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 09:05:06 »
Quote from: washuai;194266
Well, there's always tenkeyless Realforce or HHKB + numpad, so you can buy a numpad that costs more than many full boards.

Hey, I'm not crazy enough to buy an $122 (plus shipping and handling) numpad. Give it another couple weeks.

I'm kind of in the opposite boat.  I need a tenkeyless, for work, possibly with separate number pad.

Numpad can be attached for me, separate would be nice, but I can't justify the expense. I have plenty of desk space.

So it is for work, so variable black or variable white/grey?  Or all 55g?  Assuming EKB is where yours will be from.

I would get it from EKB. 55g is out of stock, but I could see waiting for it.

Definitely black, but I don't know if I'd get the all 55g (more than the MX Browns) or I'd get variable (some less, some same, some more, but would it be weird to adjust between having an all 45g MX Brown at home and having a 35g/45g/55g Realforce at work).

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 09:08:16 »
Quote from: ripster;194270
Go with the Black on Black lettering.  It may be hard to see but it's good for you

I have an Otaku, so I'm used to not having any letternig. Slightly visible lettering is nice though (I might get compulsive if I switch to COLEMAK though... good thing the letters aren't highly visible in that case).

(like your mom telling you to eat broccoli).

Some people happen to like broccoli.

Plus, black looks great with that Red key.

Looks nice. I like the look on my Filco with the red escape too.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 09:44:22 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;194269
Hey, I'm not crazy enough to buy an $122 (plus shipping and handling) numpad. Give it another couple weeks.

I am:

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:06:30 »
Quote from: itlnstln;194283
I am

As I said, give it time.

So I assume you love the Topre switch quite a bit. In what ways is it better than MX Browns?

Any disadvantages (softer tactile bump, lifetime, etc.)?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:44:53 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;194292
As I said, give it time.

So I assume you love the Topre switch quite a bit. In what ways is it better than MX Browns?

Any disadvantages (softer tactile bump, lifetime, etc.)?

You assume wrong.  I like Cherry browns more.  I'm a pretty shallow person.  I like the HHKB's layout, and I just wanted a matching numpad in switch and looks.

As far as specifics go, the Cherry browns are more "springy," so they return a little more energy by pushing your fingers up more.  I also like that resistance increases over the travel of the switch with the browns where the Topres start at peak resistance. All this, however, is from the POV of using the all-45g. HHKB.  My RF numpad is also all-45g., but the switches are much smoother and feel a little lighter.*  I think if I had an all-45g. Realforce, I would like it just as much as the Cherry browns.

*I'm not too sure why this is, but I think it has to do with a slight difference in the stem mechanism between the two.  The HHKB's is mounted on a plastic plate where the RF's is on metal.  Other members have felt the same variance as well.

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:51:47 »
Quote from: itlnstln;194324
You assume wrong.  I like Cherry browns more.  I'm a pretty shallow person.  I like the HHKB's layout, and I just wanted a matching numpad in switch and looks.

Gotcha.

Quote from: itlnstln;194324
As far as specifics go, the Cherry browns are more "springy," so they return a little more energy by pushing your fingers up more.  I also like that resistance increases over the travel of the switch with the browns where the Topres start at peak resistance. All this, however, is from the POV of using the all-45g. HHKB.  My RF numpad is also all-45g., but the switches are much smoother and feel a little lighter.*  I think if I had an all-45g. Realforce, I would like it just as much as the Cherry browns.

I'm strongly leaning toward getting another Cherry Brown board as a result of what you just said. Especially considering the price of the Realforce :blah:

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:56:07 »
Quote from: ripster;194336
All depends on what you want.  If you want the lightest standard keyboard on the planet right now that's a Topre RealForce.

I want something with good tactile feedback (I'm doing well on the browns), doesn't make a crazy amount of noise, and is well made (durable, lifetime of switch, etc.)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 11:29:29 »
Like I said, I am speaking as an HHKB user.  The RF numpad feels much better, so I think The RF keyboards will feel the same or lighter.  I wouldn't dislike using an all-45g Topre if it feels like my numpad.

Offline bionicroach

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 12:50:03 »
Quote from: ripster;194343
Tactile feedback is not the Topre's strong suit.

Agreed.  The Topre switches definitely require a lighter touch than Cherries IMHO.  I almost sold my 87U (variable) a few days after getting it when my typing accuracy took a major nosedive since I was used to typing on Cherry Blues pretty much daily for the last few years.  I found I was accidentally hitting adjacent keys a lot due to the softer resistance and the fact that you don't have to push the keys very far at all to activate the capacitive switches. I did change my mind, though, and gave the Realforce a second chance, and after about 10 days or so, I started to get the proper rhythm for the lighter keys and the board grew on me to the point where I decided to keep it.  I still can't type walls of text quite as fast on the Topre as I can on a board with Cherry switches (or buckling springs) but it is definitely a more relaxing, lower-force typing experience if you slow down enough so that you're not bottoming the keys out too hard.

So I'd say the decision really depends on your typing speed and style.  I agree with itlnstln that Cherries seem to "spring back" between key presses more than the Topres do, so in my experience, if you're usually flying along, banging out tons of text as quickly as possible, they tend to be less fatiguing.  If you're doing more stop and go editing, repeated key presses, coding, data entry forms, etc, then I think the Topres are definitely more relaxing.  And if you share space with coworkers, they are still quieter than Browns even if you bottom out.  (If you slow down and try not to bottom out, they are nearly silent.)  That said, I find that a good quality board with Browns is actually quieter than cheapie standard issue rubber dome boards, just due to the lack of key rattle, flexing noise, etc.