Author Topic: razer's new maruader gaming keyboard  (Read 8145 times)

Offline wellington1869

razer's new maruader gaming keyboard
« on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 12:37:04 »
dont know if its been mentioned already.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/18/razer-starcraft-ii-and-xbox-360-peripherals-hands-on/

I like its industrial silver/gray look, and I like the design on the keytops too, but especially i like they way they changed around the numpad. Theyve integrated inverted T arrow keys into it (as opposed to the usual cross-arrows usually associated with numpads.) and integrated insert/del etc into the numpad (again into different, and i think better, locations). I'd like to see that numpad layout become standard.

However i'm sure the key resistance will be too light for me (its advertized as light touch).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline jmpespxoreax

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 12:50:40 »
I agree with the praise. That layout looks very neat.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 13:03:10 »
Actually not that innovative. We've seen it before.

Offline British

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 13:25:27 »
That Fn key might not be at the best position ever, if it's only purpose is to use the numpad.

Offline Viett

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:30:59 »
It's about to get heavy!

But seriously, that layout is terrible for Starcraft. A SC gamer must go between left-hand home row and the arrow keys very frequently:

How is one supposed to find those arrow keys quickly?

Honestly, I'd like to see the arrows integrated into ESDF (rather than WASD) somehow. I like the "Always on the homerow" mentality.

Too bad the miniguru is dead :(.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:39:03 »
I like the way there is a translucent square on each key. Too bad that it bleeds so much in-between keys and that 1,3,4,5 and 6 are not dark.
My guess is that they have made the entire switch assembly transparent and put a large lamp underneath it.

Quote from: wellington1869;194363
I'd like to see that numpad layout become standard.
Seconded!

Quote from: British;194376
That Fn key might not be at the best position ever, if it's only purpose is to use the numpad.
There is a "Num Lk" (if that is what you were after). It is the leftmost of the four keys above the numpad.

Quote from: Viett;194392
A SC gamer must go between left-hand home row and the arrow keys very frequently
Honestly, I'd like to see the arrows integrated into ESDF (rather than WASD) somehow. I like the "Always on the homerow" mentality.
In this case, maybe the best position for Fn would be the position of Caps Lock.
There is room for two keys in that position... The olde Amiga computer had both Ctrl and Caps Lock next to eachother there.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:51:38 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline British

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:43:03 »
Well, it's not practical if you want to switch between arrows and numpad AND type stuff.
I was merely thinking about regular typing though.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:43:17 »
well technnically you can use autohotkey and put arrow keys whereever you want them. I have them on JKLI myself (being a believer in 'always on home row' myself).  

What i like about the marauder layout tho is this way they can put the numpad right next to the alphabet block, and get rid of the space the inverted arrows used to take up. The other way we've seen this implemented is laptop-style "squished" inverted T crammed next to spacebar. I think the marauder's solution is better (full size inverted T overlapping on numpad).

I like numpads cuz i do use them, btw.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:45:28 »
Quote from: sixty;194370
Actually not that innovative. We've seen it before.

interesting, i missed that thread.  THe L-shaped enter key on that board kills it for me though. But the thumb keys are a nice idea indeed. I'd like to see those become standard too ;)  
(I use autohotkey to turn my alt keys into thumb keys, btw.  Because of that though I can only use boards with a modern (relatively short) spacebar.)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 14:50:08 »
Also I thought the "outline" design on the keytops was neat and somewhat original... makes me want to try this board out at bestbuy next time i'm there...

I know the lycos was unpopular, but funnily enough i didnt mind the feel of its keys. If the maruader is similar, i might splurge to try it out for a while. THere's always ebay if I tire of it :)

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:10:31 »
Now that is kick-ass layout.
Putting the arrow keys on the numeric keypad like that is simply briliant.

Years ago I often stared at the keyboard wondering why that column even existed between the Enter key and the keypad since they are all duplicated on the keypad.  I've never seen anyone but a cashier or accountant use a numeric keypad for anything and it seemed such a waste of switches and desk space.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:36:20 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;194402

Years ago I often stared at the keyboard wondering why that column even existed between the Enter key and the keypad since they are all duplicated on the keypad.

yea i really hate that column :) Such a waste of space.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:45:05 »
If Razer's keyboards are anything like Razer's mice, this will be one to miss.

Years ago I often stared at the keyboard wondering why that column even existed between the Enter key and the keypad since they are all duplicated on the keypad.  I've never seen anyone but a cashier or accountant use a numeric keypad for anything and it seemed such a waste of switches and desk space.

Really it was to do with IBM trying to change their layout whilst at the same time trying not to alienate people who were used to their old layout -

The numpad is indeed useless for a lot of people, but you'll find that a lot of people in the finance area will make extensive use of it. Also, some games/software maps functionality to the numpad keys distinct to their equivalents on the number row in the main alphanumeric block of the keyboard.

As for combining the numpad and arrow/text editor block? Personal experience with such a keyboard suggests that either a) you don't use the numpad and therefore the Tenkeyless layout is better or b) you use both and it gets awkward having to play around with your numlock all the time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:47:34 by ch_123 »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 16:03:31 »
Who needs some overpriced cream cheese keyboard just to play a game? Can't you just use a normal keyboard?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ecru

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 16:54:39 »
I'll pass on that layout - I need keypad and arrow keys at the same time.  Cherry G80-1800 or Filco FKB100M/NB, while not perfect, suit me better.  It is not just finance types that deal with numbers.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 21:26:19 »
Now that is kick-ass layout.
Putting the arrow keys on the numeric keypad like that is simply briliant.

A lot of old RPG games used the numpad for diagonal movement.... so you would have 8 directions.

The numpad does have its uses, but to people who don't use a computer in every area possible, then no.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline British

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 08:19:58 »
Quote from: ecru;194427
It is not just finance types that deal with numbers.

Indeed.
Moreso when your number row is only usable with shift :wink:

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 11:37:50 »
Heh, Razer finally accomplished what Saitek keyboard design has been attempting with their ugly keyboards.  I like this compared to the Saitek designs, because it is more compact, subtle and refined.  Looks less like a outdated wanna-be space age design.
I don't like the lights between the keys and I don't like the outlines on the keys.
If razer hasn't fixed the rub your keys off and look at blinding lights with no legend issues, then it is even less attractive.  Razer generally let's one macro/program the whole board, so I'm sure there's alternate solutions available for when you want arrows and numpad.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 12:43:23 »
Isn't the look of the keycaps the Alienware keyboard look?

Did we ever say what kind of switches are in this board? Or are they domes?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 14:18:05 »
It is possible to put inverted-T arrows at the bottom of the numpad without changing the size of the 0 key.

Fairly traditional:

More radical:

(Yes, Scroll Lock is largely useless, but there was a spare key and Excel uses Scroll Lock as a navigation key of sorts.)

Offline Hand

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 16:59:05 »
Quote from: Viett;194392
A SC gamer must go between left-hand home row and the arrow keys very frequently .... How is one supposed to find those arrow keys quickly? .... Honestly, I'd like to see the arrows integrated into ESDF (rather than WASD) somehow.

You can edit SC2 hotkeys so that ESDF replaces the arrow keys.  Full hotkey editing will probably be part of the game when it launches or shortly thereafter.
Past: Unicomp Customizer, SteelSeries 7G
Present: Ducky Shine 3, mx brown
Future: mx clear

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 10:53:04 »
Quote from: Rajagra;194734
It is possible to put inverted-T arrows at the bottom of the numpad without changing the size of the 0 key.

Fairly traditional:

More radical:

(Yes, Scroll Lock is largely useless, but there was a spare key and Excel uses Scroll Lock as a navigation key of sorts.)

Nice. I like it, this should be standard.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 11:12:43 »
Why use the arrows like that on the number pad when there's an inverted-T arrow group right next to it?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 12:08:37 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;194950
Why use the arrows like that on the number pad when there's an inverted-T arrow group right next to it?

Because there isn't.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 13:05:01 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;194950

Quote from: kishy;194970
Because there isn't.
Yep, if we're talking about the keyboard in the pictures below, I don't see a separate inverted-T arrow group.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 16:34:27 »
I'd buy it, *IF* it came with blues or browns. I quite like it, which is an achievement of sorts. Previous to seeing this board, the newest board that I like is my daily driver '96 M13.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 13:52:12 »
I contemplated raising the last posted sept 2009 layout thread, but this really is in response to the whole arrows/numpad thing.  I like this method of keeping arrow keys and numpad:
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 19:38:40 »
Quote from: InSanCen;195035
I'd buy it, *IF* it came with blues or browns. I quite like it, which is an achievement of sorts.

I'd buy it in a second if it came with fukkas.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 19:54:03 »
Quote from: ripster;195273
I added some trigger caps to my PS3 controller.

I added blasting caps to my game controller.

Better than force feedback, but only the first time.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline alec

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 05:32:56 »
Noppoo Choc Mini