Author Topic: Newbie with a Model M  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Brinson

Newbie with a Model M
« on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:18:24 »
So, I'm new to the forum. Had an IBM Model M for a few months now after reading about them. Bought a lot on ebay of 2 of them, one working. My working one is a 1994 made by Lexmark, but the version WITH removable keycaps.

Originally found the forum searching for a solution when my cat spilled a glass of water on it and the "h" and "m" keys suddenly started working together, ie, hitting either would net "hm" on the screen. I disassembled it and dried it with a hair dryer, though, and it seems to be fixed.

I also have a 1989 one that is missing 8 keycaps and the SDL/PS2 cable. I know I can get the keycaps on clickykeyboards.com, but SDL to PS/2 cables seem a bit harder to find. Any idea where I could get one? The ClickyKeyboards seems to be sold out constantly. Might just have to check resale stores I guess.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Newbie with a Model M
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:22:12 »
They pop up on eBay on a relatively regular basis. That said, there are people around here who would have spares and could possibly sell one to you.

Offline audioave10

Newbie with a Model M
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 18:24:17 »
I JUST checked Clickykeyboards and they have one...Hurry!
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline EverythingIBM

Newbie with a Model M
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 21:14:08 »
Unicomp sells SDL cables too right? I seen them for $15. But when clickykeyboards had the extra-long ones it stock, it was cheaper to get one of those than get a shorter one from unicomp. The next day after I bought it, there were none left in stock, lol.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT