Author Topic: Modding a new SIIG minitouch  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Dwhangkhui

Modding a new SIIG minitouch
« on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 06:32:50 »
I really like the layout of the SIIG Minitouch but I am concerned the new ones come only in the rubbery flavor...
Can I mod it with fake ALPS/Cherry MX switches easly?
Solidtek - 6600ABU

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 06:36:36 »
If by "mod" you mean to sell it for a siig with mechanical switches, then yes!
If that's not what you mean then perhaps a magic lamp is more in order. ;)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 06:37:42 »
Buy a GeekHack Space Saver. Band new mechanical SIIG MiniTouch, And you'll be supporting a GeekHack member.

http://5k177.com/more/

Offline Harry_Y

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 07:45:22 »
Quote from: Dwhangkhui;195432
I really like the layout of the SIIG Minitouch but I am concerned the new ones come only in the rubbery flavor...
Can I mod it with fake ALPS/Cherry MX switches easly?

I have 2 of these and they are good for mackines where you
want a small keyboard but are not going to type on it much.
(AKA they are stiff and not that nice feeling)

I also have tow GeekHack Space Savers  (1 that I use daily the othere is a spare)

The GeekHack Space Savers are by far a nicer keyboard.

Offline Dwhangkhui

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 07:58:27 »
Quote from: Brodie337;195435
Buy a GeekHack Space Saver. Band new mechanical SIIG MiniTouch, And you'll be supporting a GeekHack member.

http://5k177.com/more/

the shipping is too much for me

I think It's cheaper to buy a bunch of rubber dome keyboards and dirt-cheap 1000 fake alps.
I think I forgot the epoxy too. :der:
Solidtek - 6600ABU

Offline chimera15

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 08:13:53 »
You can, but it takes a lot of work, and you need a plate/alps from another keyboard.

Check out my steampunk mod.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=6313&do=comments&highlight=steampunk+mini
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Dwhangkhui

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 08:41:57 »
chimera15, I thought the Minitouch plate can be used itself.
mounting the keys to the switches sounds like a real pain

* Edit: king of unattentive
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2010, 08:48:48 by Dwhangkhui »
Solidtek - 6600ABU

Offline chimera15

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 09:59:34 »
Quote from: Dwhangkhui;195453

Mounting what keys to what switches.  You need to get a full sized mechanical board which is usually fairly cheap, then you can cut down the mechanical to the minitouch size, and wire the pcb to the cut down board.  You can use the original plastic keys, you don't have to make the classic keys.  I was pointing out the way I used the pcb which is a btc version of the new siig minitouch.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 13:08:49 »

Mechanical switches need to be mounted on a pcb. A rubber dome has a membrane instead. Look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2010, 13:11:12 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline chimera15

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 19:08:33 »
Quote from: lowpoly;195500
Mechanical switches need to be mounted on a pcb. A rubber dome has a membrane instead. Look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

Huh? No they don't.  Mechanical switches only need to have wires connected to them, and arranged in a solid form.  They don't need to be mounted into a pcb.  The only reason manufacturer's use pcb, is because it's convenient, and costs less to create a pcb with all the wiring, than having to solder every switch.  The siig minitouch 2, the new version is a conductive rubber board over pcb, not rubber dome, which means you can scratch off the junk over the contact points, solder wire to the pcb, then to a mechanical switch.  If you then suspend the switch over the pcb, in a plate, it's perfectly good.

Read my steampunk hack page.

You can't use the siig minitouch plate, because it doesn't have one.  It has plastic plungers, and it's almost totally impossible to use the plastic even if you cut it out to mount mechanical switches.   You need a donor board to create a cut down plate from.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2010, 19:16:03 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 20:15:00 »
All of my Minitouches have a metal plate over PCB.  The switches click into the metal plate, then have 2 pins that go through the PCB below and are soldered in place from the other side.  Did you mean the Minitouch Plus?  Those are membrane/rubber domes and might not have any plate in them at all.

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline chimera15

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 00:07:40 »
Quote from: didjamatic;195601
All of my Minitouches have a metal plate over PCB.  The switches click into the metal plate, then have 2 pins that go through the PCB below and are soldered in place from the other side.  Did you mean the Minitouch Plus?  Those are membrane/rubber domes and might not have any plate in them at all.

Show Image

Yes, he's talking about the plus... "rubbery flavor".  There is no plate in them.  I believe the caps are actually cherry compatible though, which means you could cut down a cherry board like the scorpius and use my method, and have a cherry compact. You might even be able to fit it into the original case with some cutting work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 June 2010, 00:13:17 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 12:40:54 »
Quote from: chimera15;195585
Huh? No they don't.  Mechanical switches only need to have wires connected to them, and arranged in a solid form.  They don't need to be mounted into a pcb.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP but I thought his idea was to just replace the 'rubber switch' by a mechanical one. Which suggests a misunderstanding about keyboard basics. Which I was filling in. Of course you're right. Have to know the basics first though.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 13:09:48 »
Quote from: chimera15;195625
Yes, he's talking about the plus... "rubbery flavor".  There is no plate in them.  I believe the caps are actually cherry compatible though, which means you could cut down a cherry board like the scorpius and use my method, and have a cherry compact. You might even be able to fit it into the original case with some cutting work.

Well I'll be damned.  The Minitouch Plus keycaps *are* Cherry compatible but it looks like you're going to need lower-profile Cherry keycaps to fix them on this keyboard.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow