Author Topic: Help -slimblade sticking  (Read 4650 times)

Offline trievalot

Help -slimblade sticking
« on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 18:12:53 »
plz help

someone stuck tape in my slimblade, and now its all sticky (after removing the tape and cleaning with a lint free cloth) it still feels sticky

How can i fix this? PLEASE!!!!!
[SIGPIC]

Offline Morning Song

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 19:40:47 »
Quote from: trievalot;195573
plz help

someone stuck tape in my slimblade, and now its all sticky (after removing the tape and cleaning with a lint free cloth) it still feels sticky

How can i fix this? PLEASE!!!!!

Lighter fluid usually gets stickies off very well.
Clicky keyboards and big trackballs forever!

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
Cherry: Filco Majestouch 105 Blue NKRO w/ doubleshots
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:
Kensington Expert Mouse 7, Wacom Intuos3 6x8 w/ classic pen

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 20:20:06 »
Get a $1 microsoft serial mouse that'll never ever stick.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Zalusithix

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 20:31:10 »
There are products meant to strip the goo left from adhesive tape. Typically it's a citrus based concentrated cleaner. Failing to find any of that around, plain old WD-40 does a pretty good job at removing goo. In both cases, after the goo is removed, you'll want to use a normal cleanser (Windex etc) and/or soapy water.

And who the hell would stick tape on/in a trackball anyhow?

Offline TexasFlood

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 20:36:52 »
Quote from: Zalusithix;195606
There are products meant to strip the goo left from adhesive tape. Typically it's a citrus based concentrated cleaner. Failing to find any of that around, plain old WD-40 does a pretty good job at removing goo. In both cases, after the goo is removed, you'll want to use a normal cleanser (Windex etc) and/or soapy water.

And who the hell would stick tape on/in a trackball anyhow?

I thought products like GooGone were mostly naphthalene, or lighter fluid.  Maybe they've changed the formula recently.

Offline Zalusithix

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 20:46:44 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;195607
I thought products like GooGone were mostly naphthalene, or lighter fluid.  Maybe they've changed the formula recently.

Eh, there's so many products out there these days. "Green" cleaners and the likes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few different formulas marketed for the same thing. It's not like cutting through residual adhesive is that hard of a task.

Offline trievalot

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 22:55:04 »
The residue is gone.....it just "feels" sticky now........(the ball doesnt roll as freely)

I was gonna try some silicone spray? (or will that screw it completely?)
[SIGPIC]

Offline Zalusithix

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 23:48:49 »
Aha, so it's not sticky... You're just talking about how it rolls. When you cleaned it, you probably stripped all the lubrication from the ball.

Quote from: Kensington FAQ
The SlimBlade trackball is coated with lanolin to reduce friction and noise.  If it is noisy, wipe the ball with your hands for 30 seconds to replace a thin coat of lubrication to the surface of the ball.  The ball and housing should not be cleaned with water, alcohol, or other cleaners as this will completely remove the lubrication from the ball.

Going by that, using some lanolin would restore it to the original form. That and natural oils from your skin help to lubricate it. (I know mine rolls a lot smoother now than it did straight from the factory.)

Offline didjamatic

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 00:09:21 »
Armorall is what microsoft used on trackballs, and what people sell as the super secret stuff in eBay kits.  But it needs to be clean first.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline hyperlinked

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 01:33:19 »
Peanut butter works pretty well in getting adhesives off.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Nonmouse

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 01:47:57 »
First off, kill whoever stuck tape in it- or at least beat them soundly about the head and shoulders.

A terpene-based (d-limonene, or "citrus") cleaner is probably your best bet, followed by distilled or DI water for cleaning it- that's what electronics manufacturers use.

Offline trievalot

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 03:25:54 »
Thanks for all the advice, the using for an hour got it working nicely :-)

man i must be oily
[SIGPIC]

Offline bigpook

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 10:55:52 »
Its not hard to clean the ruby bearings in the slimblade. Just lift the ball and move your finger over the bearings. Takes about 10 seconds.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline EverythingIBM

Help -slimblade sticking
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 June 2010, 13:17:06 »
Quote from: trievalot;195665
Thanks for all the advice, the using for an hour got it working nicely :-)

man i must be oily

You could always pick up an IBM L40 for fun. Can't say how good it's going to be.

Well now you never have to buy oil for your cars...
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT