Author Topic: Review sample of Das  (Read 19592 times)

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 17:50:17 »
I have a review sample of the Das Professional S here, been typing on it for about 15 minutes, trying to make up my mind on whether or not I like MX blues better than buckling springs or not. It's definitely close. I like the click of blues better, but they have a clacky bottoming out sound that the Model M does not. The switches are lighter, but I'm definitely noticing that release issue that makes them not advised for gaming.

I'm just not sure.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline Mental Hobbit

Review sample of Das
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 18:31:00 »
On buckling spring you always bottom out, rather softly, but still. I found it very easy to get used to not bottoming out on blue MX due to the super crisp tactile feedback.
Typing on blues.

Offline wellington1869

Review sample of Das
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 20:48:29 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;196009
I have a review sample of the Das Professional S here, been typing on it for about 15 minutes, trying to make up my mind on whether or not I like MX blues better than buckling springs or not. It's definitely close. I like the click of blues better, but they have a clacky bottoming out sound that the Model M does not. The switches are lighter, but I'm definitely noticing that release issue that makes them not advised for gaming.

I'm just not sure.

how come you get to have a review sample?!

Let the novelty wear off before deciding. THe blues at first can be really neat but sometimes that feeling wears off after a few days. THen you'll be in a better position to compare them.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Zalusithix

Review sample of Das
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 23:32:36 »
Quote from: ripster;196085
Buckling Springs versus Cherry Blues is close.  As shown in the Favorite Switch poll where Cherry Blues are still winning despite some old time Geekhackers not liking them.

Of course, there's the issue of how many people have actually tried all (or even half) of the switches in person before voting on a "favorite".

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Review sample of Das
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 04:01:55 »
Buckling Spring is winning 84 to 72.

Offline chimera15

Review sample of Das
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 04:28:53 »
Yeah, I don't like how blues can bottom out harsh at high speeds.  My favorite is alps creams with a clicky leaf in them.  So If I do bottom out there's a somewhat soft landing.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline noctua

Review sample of Das
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 04:45:20 »
Hmm, i use snippets of rubber bands for soft landing..

Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 09:39:01 »
I think Das should have used an MX green under the space bar. Yeah, I blubbered about the MX gray in my MX11800, but that's because it served no useful purpose. On the Das the keys make that loud clack when they bottom out due to the plate mounting system. Since the spacebar always bottoms out I always get that loud clack, which is the loudest part of typing on this board, even though I'm not bottoming out the other keys (much) (and after just a few hours!).

Using an MX green would have made it a lot easier to not bottom out the space bar. But would it have cost more? Hmmm...
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline aegrotatio

Review sample of Das
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 09:48:26 »
I would prefer if all keyboard makers would completely silence the backspace key as much as possible.  My co-worker with the DAS keyboard, all you hear all day long is "tickticktick tick tick swackswackswackswackswackswack tickticktick swackswackswackswackswackswack" where swack is the backspace key.

He's not very good at much.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 10:02:26 »
Nah, I have to send it back after I review it.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
Review sample of Das
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 10:37:49 »
Quote from: ripster;196264
Ask them why they nuked the Das Multimedia version of the S after one month of shipping.

That was weird.

I love mine.   Went to buy another one just to find out they're discontinued.  Oh well......I'll find another one eventually.

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 11:46:26 »
I already sent a few questions:

Phædrus
 to Thomas

show details 7:03 PM (16 hours ago)

Thank you, the review sample has arrived, I should have the review done by the end of the week. I have a few questions, however.

1.) This version does not have media keys. I've heard that they were removed due to users complaining about the Fn key replacing the left Windows key. Is there any reason this feature was removed entirely, rather than switching Fn to the right Windows key, or including some kind of settings switch (a la the dip switches on the HHKB, only just one switch instead of six).

2.) Cherry often uses MX green switches (like MX blue but with a heavier spring) for the space bar switch on its MX blue models. While I feel that the equivalent change (MX gray) on MX brown boards is ill advised, I think it may have benefited the Das to use an MX green there as the space bar always bottoms out with a loud clack even when the user has learned how not to bottom out the normal keys. However, my opinion may be a minority view. Why did Das choose to use an MX blue for the spacebar, rather than an MX green like Cherry does?

3.) The Das Professional S Silent costs $6 more than the regular version; however the only difference is the choice of MX brown switches instead of MX blue. Are MX brown switches more expensive, or is there another reason for the price difference?

4.) Does Das have any plans to release new keyboards aimed at different markets? For instance, a gaming keyboard (MX browns or blacks, backlighting, extra macro keys, etc.), or a budget mechanical keyboard (in the $75-$100 price range instead of $120-$140), or a tenkeyless version, or anything similar? Or are you content with your current lineup?

5.) What advantages for typing does Das feel its keyboard has over products like the Filco Majestouch 104-key or Unicomp Customizer?

6.) Is the USB hub full-power and capable of powering high-draw devices? Note, I will be testing this.

7.) Are there any plans to upgrade the hub to USB 3.0?

8.) There are a handful of keys *very slightly* out of skew. Not so much most people would notice, but I pay attention to details. This is something that seems to be common with Costar-manufactured Cherry MX boards, most notably in a recent review of the Adesso MKB-135B. Now the skew on this sample is far, far less than that on the Adesso I saw, enough that it doesn't really matter, but it is present. Do you have any information on the cause of this issue, and are there any plans to fix it?

9.) The Das uses a metal backplate. Is there any reason this method of construction was chosen over an unsupported PCB?

10.) What grade of steel was chosen for the backplate? Feel free to give me the engineering terminology for it.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I think you have a very nice product here, and my review is shaping up so far to be mostly positive.

One final question: do you use the Das Professional S in your offices, and if so how many people per month does the clicking drive insane? ;)

Again, thanks.

- Michael

Thomas Aitchison
 to me

show details 11:02 AM (43 minutes ago)

Michael, I will forward these questions along and get some feedback to you soon. Can't guarantee I'll have something before end of day, but will get moving forward on this.

Thanks!

Thomas

Offline wellington1869

Review sample of Das
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:04:47 »
Re: your #4, keep in mind metadot offers 32% off (educational discount) for students. Thats a whopping discount for the das S.

Also in my experience metadot has been very responsive with communications... something I appreciate. They've been good with their recalls too, all things considered, I appreciate their taking media keys off market if there was something wrong with them,and with accepting and fixing their firmware issues.  (contrast that with, say, the filco fiasco where they're still in half-hearted denial even after costar acknowledged the firmware limitations).  Metadot's approach to these common problems seems more professional to me than simplistic denial that we've seen from filco and others.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

Review sample of Das
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:25:36 »
Quote from: ripster;196311
Grade of steel for the backplate?

lol - the engineers will love that one.

Uh, B-minus?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Review sample of Das
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:31:28 »
2.) Cherry often uses MX green switches (like MX blue but with a heavier spring) for the space bar switch on its MX blue models. While I feel that the equivalent change (MX gray) on MX brown boards is ill advised, I think it may have benefited the Das to use an MX green there as the space bar always bottoms out with a loud clack even when the user has learned how not to bottom out the normal keys. However, my opinion may be a minority view. Why did Das choose to use an MX blue for the spacebar, rather than an MX green like Cherry does?

9.) The Das uses a metal backplate. Is there any reason this method of construction was chosen over an unsupported PCB?

10.) What grade of steel was chosen for the backplate? Feel free to give me the engineering terminology for it.

"We don't know, we don't question the funny Taiwanese people who put our label on their keyboards"

I would be willing to bet that only Cherry has access to the Green switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:33:53 by ch_123 »

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:48:43 »
Quote from: wellington1869;196296
Re: your #4, keep in mind metadot offers 32% off (educational discount) for students. Thats a whopping discount for the das S.

Also in my experience metadot has been very responsive with communications... something I appreciate. They've been good with their recalls too, all things considered, I appreciate their taking media keys off market if there was something wrong with them,and with accepting and fixing their firmware issues.  (contrast that with, say, the filco fiasco where they're still in half-hearted denial even after costar acknowledged the firmware limitations).  Metadot's approach to these common problems seems more professional to me than simplistic denial that we've seen from filco and others.

Wow, really? That moves the odds of me buying one from "maybe" to "the minute I've got a spare $90.

And I do agree, the Das feels like a very professional product, and it's cheaper than the Filco as well. The Filco rarely gets my recommendation anymore; Unicomp, KR-6230, Das Professional S, Deck Legend, in order of increasing budget. Though it is nice they have a tenkeyless.

Quote from: ripster;196311
Grade of steel for the backplate?

lol - the engineers will love that one.

I'm curious, and needed a 10th question. I have a buddy going to U of Toronto for mechanical engineering, he understands all that metallurgy stuff.

Quote from: ch_123;196316
"We don't know, we don't question the funny Taiwanese people who put our label on their keyboards"

I would be willing to bet that only Cherry has access to the Green switches.

Hah, good way of putting it. And it does seem possible only Cherry has greens, or that Costar doesn't offer them.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Review sample of Das
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 13:01:57 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;196323
Wow, really? That moves the odds of me buying one from "maybe" to "the minute I've got a spare $90.

And I do agree, the Das feels like a very professional product, and it's cheaper than the Filco as well. The Filco rarely gets my recommendation anymore; Unicomp, KR-6230, Das Professional S, Deck Legend, in order of increasing budget. Though it is nice they have a tenkeyless.

You recommend the KR-6230 over the Unicomp and Filco? Lolwut?

Offline wellington1869

Review sample of Das
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 13:06:44 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;196323

ya, just email their support folks and request the educational discount. They'll give it to you as a coupon code to enter when ordering. Its a very steep discount. Not well advertized (on the site they simply say 'ask us about educational discount'. I didnt realize it was a whopping 32%).

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 14:26:58 »
Quote from: ch_123;196329
You recommend the KR-6230 over the Unicomp and Filco? Lolwut?

I was going by pricing, not my picks. And I mainly make recommendations at OCN, so gaming is important to most of the people, which makes the KR-6230 with NKRO better than the Unicomp Customizer.

Filco, from what I can see, has a couple of downsides compared to the Das. A.) Costs more, plus you pay shipping, which means it costs ~$150 for most people, vs. $130. B.) EKB has no return policy, which is a major drawback for someone unsure of what switch they want, or if mechanicals are for them. C.) It has a few less features, like the USB hub and hidden LEDs.

And if you're a student the Das is $88, which is insanely good, and blows everything else out of the water as far as value is concerned.

So imo Das > Filco.

But my G80-8200 was still one of the best $35 I've ever spent, it's just ugly as puke compared to the Das.

Offline wellington1869

Review sample of Das
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 21:46:27 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;196359

And if you're a student the Das is $88, which is insanely good, and blows everything else out of the water

$87.72 to be exact.
Ask me how I know :-D

Offline trievalot

Review sample of Das
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 22:02:36 »
how do you know?
[SIGPIC]

Offline wellington1869

Review sample of Das
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 22:10:07 »
Quote from: trievalot;196540
how do you know?

Tee hee. Thanks for asking ;)

I fell off the wagon. Apparently I felt I needed some more piano black in my life ;)

I'm truly disappointed in myself for falling off the wagon, but yea, i'm now the proud owner of a Das S Professional. The discount did push me over the edge. I caressed the board in person at J&R a couple of times, did like it a lot.

I've got to hold the line at one mech board though. Dont want to go whole hog like I did last year. Also I swore I wouldnt mod any more.

Offline gr1m

Review sample of Das
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 22:17:18 »
32% education discount eh?

I'm down to get a Das now.

Offline TexasFlood

Review sample of Das
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 22:26:50 »
Quote from: gr1m;196544
32% education discount eh?

I'm down to get a Das now.

But... Das Keyboard Model S Professional, regular or silent?

Offline typo

Review sample of Das
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 June 2010, 07:33:11 »
is the current filco with mx blues the same as the das 3 or the das s?

thanks

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Review sample of Das
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 26 June 2010, 07:55:43 »
They come out of the same factory, they both use plate mounted Cherry switches, but the similarities end there. Different controller, different case, different keycaps. Possibly different PCB for the switches.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Review sample of Das
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 26 June 2010, 08:08:50 »
I've heard some bad things about Sad-backwards keyboards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 26 June 2010, 23:08:07 »
The numpad 5 has a nipply nub instead of a bar. They should do that with the F and J keys too, or make it an option.

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 26 June 2010, 23:48:17 »
tickatickatickatickaCLUNKACLUNKtickatick. I like the feel of MX blues, but the sound is a little much for me, even with headphones. There's a reason I swapped out my 1391401 for an MX brown board, and if I were to get a Das I'd probably get a silent version. But then... The only real change from my G80-8200 would be lack of reprogrammable keys, lack of relegendable keys, smaller footprint, USB hub, and it doesn't look like a beige turd. EDIT: Oh, and the Das has an ANSI layout.

Basically I'd be trading features for aesthetics. Ugh, if only my G80 were black. As is the only *really* compelling argument for a Das Silent over my G80 is looks. I'd just spraypaint the keyboard myself, except I'm not sure it wouldn't come out looking like a turd. Also, I don't know how well the different colored keys will look dyed.

But if you like MX blues then I still highly recommend the Das.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 June 2010, 23:53:53 by Phaedrus2129 »

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 20:09:17 »
So they forwarded me to someone else in a higher position, guess I asked a bit more than they were used to. :p I'm not going to share all the info, but a few tidbits... They removed media key functionality because people complained about the loss of the left Win key (established) and didn't implement it in a different way because it would require paying Costar to retool, while with simply removing it it was presumably a firmware change or some such.

Also, neat fact, MX browns are more expensive than MX blues.

I'm following up the MX green question, we'll see if Costar offers MX greens, or if they don't offer them, or if they're PCB only, or if they're Cherry-only. Probably we'll just hear "it wasn't an offered option", but hopefully they'll now more.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
Review sample of Das
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 20:30:35 »
But, I want to know the answers to all those questions . . although, until DAS as a tenkeyless silent, or removable numpad, I don't care.  Really, browns should not be called silent.  There are 'low-noise' boards that are quieter.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline wellington1869

Review sample of Das
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 23:30:03 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;197767
So they forwarded me to someone else in a higher position, guess I asked a bit more than they were used to. :p I'm not going to share all the info, but a few tidbits... They removed media key functionality because people complained about the loss of the left Win key (established) and didn't implement it in a different way because it would require paying Costar to retool, while with simply removing it it was presumably a firmware change or some such.

Also, neat fact, MX browns are more expensive than MX blues.

once again, i feel respect for the das folks. I dont know any other vendor who's given serious answers to a GH technical interrogation (right down to justifying their design choices to us) in this way. Oh we've asked before, I dont think we've ever seen cooperation like this. Phaedrus' list of questions was pretty intimidating too. Most any other company would have put him on hold indefinitely, if they didnt tell him to get lost outright.  Credit where its due, good for them to take our questions seriously and give answers about design choices and costs and materials that they're under no obligation to give.

Offline spolia optima

Review sample of Das
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 23:35:19 »
Quote from: wellington1869;197808
once again, i feel respect for the das folks. I dont know any other vendor who's given serious answers to a GH technical interrogation (right down to justifying their design choices to us) in this way. Oh we've asked before, I dont think we've ever seen cooperation like this. Phaedrus' list of questions was pretty intimidating too. Most any other company would have put him on hold indefinitely, if they didnt tell him to get lost outright.  Credit where its due, good for them to take our questions seriously and give answers about design choices and costs and materials that they're under no obligation to give.

++
keyboards!

Offline gr1m

Review sample of Das
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 00:30:27 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;197767
I'm not going to share all the info, but a few tidbits...

hai im so important dat i have to pretend that i have special info and then not give it to show that im cool and carefree

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 00:32:34 »
Quote from: gr1m;197821
hai im so important dat i have to pretend that i have special info and then not give it to show that im cool and carefree

Offline TexasFlood

Review sample of Das
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 00:35:51 »
Quote from: ripster;197817
Something weird is going on at the Das Site.

I get this when I pull up the products.

I didn't see anything strange just now.  Did you try that code?

Offline TexasFlood

Review sample of Das
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 10:50:38 »
Quote from: ripster;197830
Didn't try it.  

What's weird is it exactly matches the Education Discount.

Some discount.

Maybe it's the same coupon?  I saw a quote from "Erin" of Metadot that stated "We offer an educational discount of 24%. This takes into consideration the discount plus $10 for ground shipping. Our system does not allow us to manually adjust shipping costs, so we have to factor it into the discount.".

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Review sample of Das
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 13:56:57 »
Quote from: ripster;197931
You know that the Cherry Brown price difference is probably due to Metadot/Costar buying them in much lower volumes than the Cherry Blues.

Costar does the Filco boards too, right? As of May of last year majestouch was saying that "For the most part, blue Cherry switch based boards are not a standard item".

Who knows how things have changed by now, but it seems to me that the blue switches weren't being ordered in high volume at that time. Was there a substantial price difference?

So far I am not impressed with the "helpful revealing inside edition info" Metadot has given us.  Why didn't they do a bit of market research BEFORE sticking a FCN key right where the most used Windows/Mac/Meta key was??

Modifying the base PCB design to add an extra key is expensive, correct? The lazy but cheap route would be to make one of the keys as an function key.

Not the ideal route, but the one they tried.

I'll start being impressed if they make it through all 10 questions.

Phaedrus2129 said "I'm not going to share all the info" so we have no idea if all ten questions were answered or not.

Offline itlnstln

Review sample of Das
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 14:26:20 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing
Costar does the Filco boards too, right? As of May of last year majestouch was saying that "For the most part, blue Cherry switch based boards are not a standard item".

Who knows how things have changed by now, but it seems to me that the blue switches weren't being ordered in high volume at that time. Was there a substantial price difference?

There might be something around how Filco started with brown Cherries and later used blues.  Thus, they started with a higher priced item and then made the lower cost one.  That said, the blue Cherry Filcos started out as a limited edition, and are now a more regular item because of US/European sales through Elitekeyboards.  If brown Cherrys are more expensive, then you might say that those that bought the blue Cherry Filcos were overcharged.  I would suggest, though, that the "limited" nature of the blue Cherry Filcos is a valid reason for them to be at the same price as the browns.

Personally, I think the "brown Cherrys are more expensive" argument is horse****.  You can't tell me that a switch with a one-piece stem is more expensive than a two-piece stem, nor can I imagine that there is so much more production/sales of the blues that they reduce manufacturing costs by that much (if they even sell more blues than browns at all).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Review sample of Das
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 15:34:27 »
I hate all Das keyboards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Review sample of Das
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 15:40:30 »
Don't you hate everything born after 1984?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Review sample of Das
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 15:48:53 »
Quote from: ricercar;198072
Don't you hate everything born after 1984?

By that rationale, he hates himself.

Offline itlnstln

Review sample of Das
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 15:57:38 »
Quote from: ripster;198067
Huh?

It's simple.  Look a Cherry MX distributor price list sometime.  You order more it costs less per unit.

That's the point.  Costar does the ordering, not Das.  Costar, based on what we see in retail, ships as many, if not more, Cherry brown-based keyboards than blue-based.  The logic makes no sense.  That is, if Das ordered as many "Silent" models as the others.  If not, then I can see where the cost per 'board is higher since the quantity of "Silent" models is less, but that has nothing to do with the price of the switch.

Geez, ripster, you're getting as bad at reading as I am.

Offline lmnop

Review sample of Das
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 00:47:13 »
that promo code doesn't work.

Offline lmnop

Review sample of Das
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 01:00:19 »
Bradley Kesner? how about Cornelius or Phineas McClintock lol

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 01:00:48 »
Quote from: ripster;201206
They finish that spectroscopy analysis of metal plate materials yet?  :biggrin1:

Confidential. ;)

I'm actually finishing up my review now, going to have it up before I go to bed.

Offline gr1m

Review sample of Das
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 08:05:05 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;201214
Confidential. ;)

I'm actually finishing up my review now, going to have it up before I go to bed.

hai im 003 i hav confidenshul information dat da fermi wil make ati userz cry but i cant tel u it hehehehe

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 12:59:41 »
Quote from: gr1m;201264
hai im 003 i hav confidenshul information dat da fermi wil make ati userz cry but i cant tel u it hehehehe
Show Image

Confidential as in, they didn't tell me.

Which means they probably just don't know, they just trust Costar to make it.

I'm not that kind of noob, Gr1m.

Offline Phaedrus2129

Review sample of Das
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 21:38:22 »

Offline wellington1869

Review sample of Das
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 22:13:07 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;201438
My review:
http://hardwareaware.com/review/das-professional-s/

nice review. do you get a t-shirt? post a pic of the t-shirt, i'm curious :)

i like the review categories (dissection, lol). Those should be standard categories on the reviews here.