Author Topic: Full ISO Spanish Layout  (Read 4407 times)

Offline it0

Full ISO Spanish Layout
« on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 05:37:20 »
Hi, I hope you're all right!

I'm trying to compound a full picture on what's needed to create a full mechanical keyboard but for Spanish ISO layout.

For the shake of the conversation, I'll try to fix some variables here: The KBD75 REV 2.0 PCB should be valid for ISO according to QMK, but when I try to create the keymap, there are several key that when pressed do not appear on the QMK configurator like my "Ñ" or the "<>" to the left of the Z.

Since I want a fully working Spanish ISO layout, I guess that I'll have to work on the firmware and customize it a little bit, am I right?

If so, my question is around the keycodes, since on the keycodes overview page doesn't show a keycode for "Ñ" or "<>" for example. Where can I find those to build the firmware for the board? If I use xev to read what happens when I push "<" I see it returns keycode 94 or keycode 47 for the "Ñ". Would that be enough to build the custom ISO firmware?

I'm pretty sure I'm mixing a lot of concepts here since I feel my lack of clarity, please excuse for that.

I've done several searches on topics on the forum, but it seems they are always solved by using ANSI and I really want to stick to my ISO layout. Please excuse me if I miss a thread where it's all explained.

Thanks a lot for your help  :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Full ISO Spanish Layout
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 06:04:47 »
No, you're actually completely wrong!

There is no such thing as a Spanish keyboard - all keyboards send the same keycodes which are converted to letters and symbols by your operating system, only the labels on the keycaps change.  When you're doing an ISO board you have to pretend you use a UK keyboard so #~ is next to enter and \| is next to left shift, the rest of the legends are the ones for ANSI so a couple are slightly off but we just have to live with that.  As long as your keyboard is set to Spanish in your operating system you'll be fine :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline it0

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 08:17:52 »
Thanks for your reply suicidal_orange, so yes, I was overcomplicating my existence.

In the example that I provide, the "\|" next to the left shift, will send the keycode 94 which will be interpreted by my OS with Spanish keyboard as "<". Whatever keycap goes on top of that switch is another problem.

So, with this approach I should focus on selecting a PCB ISO compatible, and creating a keymap as if it's for a UK layout.

Right?  ;D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 19:43:21 »
So, with this approach I should focus on selecting a PCB ISO compatible, and creating a keymap as if it's for a UK layout.

Right?  ;D

Yes, that's it - you just need an ISO compatible PCB (and plate if you're using one).  There's a good chance the PCB will come with a standard layout already loaded and whatever firmware you choose will probably have a standard layout as default so you'll only have to worry about any keys outside the main block or improvements (caps lock is pretty useless but that position makes a good backspace or control, depending what you use the board for)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline it0

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 01:38:28 »
Understood, thanks for your help.

Usually, I remap the caps lock to esc since I use vim as my main editor, but I haven't make up mi mind in terms of what kind of PCB would I give a go... yesterday 75%, today 60%... I'll keep searching and learning and wait until there's more stock ... but that's another thread  ;)

Again, thank you!!!  :thumb:

Offline shine

• IBM obsessed
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:44:03 »
I will build a KBD75V2 too and I'm spanish as well, when my kit gets here I will contact you.

It was ordered in january but it won't ship until who knows when...
Looking for: IBM 4978(XD!)
Current collection:
More
B: 3101, 3276, 3277, 3278, 3279, 5251, 5285, 6580
F: F50, F62 OG "kishaver", F104 "Unsaver", F107, F122, XT, AT, 3178 "bluebutton", 5291 "Bigfoot", 5155
M: Mopar, silver badge
Topre: Nissho KB106DE
Alps: blues, whites, green