Author Topic: Interesting Listing - Apple Extended II?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline didjamatic

Interesting Listing - Apple Extended II?
« on: Sun, 27 June 2010, 23:04:30 »
Interesting listing here

Qtronix Box
"Rubber Mechanical" - This is technically correct if it's an AEKII w/Dampened ALPS
Apple Extended II or similar inside

Someone probably bought the Qtronix to replace the Apple keyboard, then put the Apple one in the box.  Then later someone found it this way and is selling it.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 June 2010, 23:26:15 »
Quote from: didjamatic;197065
Interesting listing here

Qtronix Box
"Rubber Mechanical" - This is technically correct if it's an AEKII w/Dampened ALPS
Apple Extended II or similar inside

Someone probably bought the Qtronix to replace the Apple keyboard, then put the Apple one in the box.  Then later someone found it this way and is selling it.
Sure looks like an Apple Extended Keyboard II in a Qtronix Scorpius 105ADB box.  Supposed to a be a classic amongst Mac users, if it's the one with alps switches, it was never clear to me which alps switches they had.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 02:29:52 »
Yeah, it looks like an aek 2 in a scorpius box.  It's pretty interesting they do almost look identical except for the little notch out of the upper left of the keyboard where the adb plug goes.  I just picked one up off ebay for $20 as well, so they're going cheap.  I really love modifying these switches with clicky leafs.  I think it's the best kind of alps switch, it's light, with a relatively soft landing if you bottom out, and you get the click.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 03:28:09 »
Quote from: ripster;197081
I'm pretty sure if it's a AEKII it's gonna be a Complicated White NonClicky Rubber Dampened ALPS.  
[IG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4741814974_877bb25afd_z.jpg[/IMG]

IMHO Apple was consistent in using the best ALPS switches. Orange, pink, dampened cream... They really did rock.

My Dell AT101 feels like, shoot, 200% better with dampened creams.
keyboards!

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 08:57:12 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;197068
Sure looks like an Apple Extended Keyboard II in a Qtronix Scorpius 105ADB box.  Supposed to a be a classic amongst Mac users, if it's the one with alps switches, it was never clear to me which alps switches they had.

It's the original Apple Extended Keyboard that's the classic. The AEK II is the cost cutting version. It feels like crap compared to the original.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 09:40:10 »
They're really mediocre keyboards. I have no idea what the original AEK was like, but the AEK II is like a Mac equivalent of the Dell AT101W... in more ways than one.